Looting and a bidding system

I just watched a video on the upcoming mmo Ashes of Creation and they were discussing the potential looting systems for their game. They will probably go with the tried and true master loot and need/greed system, but they said they are looking at something new, a bidding system.

How it would work is if you want an item dropped form a boss you would make a bid in gold, and anyone else in the group who wanted it could also bid. The bid winner gets the item and the gold gets evenly distributed to everyone else in the party. Obviously this would only be relevant to pugs but i thought it was an inspired idea. If you miss out on loot you could get compensated with potentially thousands in gold.

Has this loot system been tried in other mmos? What are the downsides and how could it be exploited? Would it work and would you like to see it in wow?

sounds like a GDKP run in WoW.

and i think runescape 3? had something similar where you got a number of fragments of an item if it dropped in a group so essentially splitting up the item, but i can't remember if you could sell the fragments or needed enough to make the item before selling.

it certainly would work, but only the super rich would ever get the best items, especially rare mounts etc.

irl money = token = gold = Pay to win game. This is never becoming a thing in wow and it should never become a thing either.

Also, there is already been gdkp runs in wow working just like this, this however died out when gold couldn't be traded cross realm and it became too hard to find realm only groups.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    I just watched a video on the upcoming mmo Ashes of Creation and they were discussing the potential looting systems for their game. They will probably go with the tried and true master loot and need/greed system, but they said they are looking at something new, a bidding system.

How it would work is if you want an item dropped form a boss you would make a bid in gold, and anyone else in the group who wanted it could also bid. The bid winner gets the item and the gold gets evenly distributed to everyone else in the party. Obviously this would only be relevant to pugs but i thought it was an inspired idea. If you miss out on loot you could get compensated with potentially thousands in gold.

Has this loot system been tried in other mmos? What are the downsides and how could it be exploited? Would it work and would you like to see it in wow?
    Its called GDKP it has been around in wow since vanilla last time I remember doing was one in Dragon Soul it kinda died off as a common loot system though.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    Its called GDKP it has been around in wow since vanilla last time I remember doing was one in Dragon Soul it kinda died off as a common loot system though.
    But isn't GDKP player driven? In this proposal it would be driven by mechanics in game.

But isn't GDKP player driven? In this proposal it would be driven by mechanics in game.
    Well yeah, but the idea is the same.

Not for me personally, I'm bad at earning large sums of money

15+ Year Old Account
    What does how it is driven have anything to do with it I am just saying its not a new system at all and it would never be the primary loot system of a game people dislike any kind of "gold" having a a huge direct part of gearing.

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    GDKP is an awesome system.
    I giggled at your name with this post.
    Last edited by Firatha; 2018-11-10 at 01:17 AM.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    GDKP is an awesome system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    I giggled at your name with this post.
    I enjoy how I can go carry people and get gold to buy consumables for real raid. They get gear, we both win.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

I think it’s a good idea, but don’t use gold. As noted, using gold makes it pay to win.

My suggestion would be to make it based around a variant of Seals of Fate that can’t be purchased with gold (or just remove the current option to buy regular seals with gold). That way, the buyer is giving up his extra loot roll chances to bypass RNG while the seller gets those extra chances to compensate for having given up loot, and nobody can cheat the system by pouring in real life cash.
    Last edited by iindigo; 2018-11-10 at 03:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved raiding in Gdkp runs. Best experience i've ever had in wow was during Gdkp Pugs.

Sounds like a game dead on launch and greedy devs wanting p2w and a lot of gold selling to players

That's like GDKP (Gold Dragon Kill Point). I was organizing many of those pugs in WotLK. Had to have a macro stating my intention so that anyone could refer to that statement if I misbehaved and have a GM punish me :P It was really fun. Had several hundred thousand gold on me some runs that we split on 25 people in the end. People was so damn happy when trinkets or tier items dropped because they could really add huge amounts of gold to the pot!

What I really liked was the thrill and strategy about bidding. You want to up the other players bid but sometimes you didn't want the item so you had to read the situation and stop bidding in time to get as much gold out of the other player as possible. Sometimes you lost, others you won. Fun nonetheless! An automated system could be as interesting as well. I don't really see an issue with it. I mean, I didn't mind handling the money pot but it could be tiresome to find disconnected players or mail money to the right person if they left too soon or just had to cash out early before the raid was done etcetera. I never failed though and I think I did a really good job but still, human error and all that. Though people might be more understanding if errors happen when it's driven by the community rather than an automatic system.

Unsure if it would work in WoW now though. It would've if it was introduced before personal loot. Back when it was "need/greed" and "masterlooter" that was the way to go.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.