Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Ret Paladins and Mythic +

Hey all I just wanted to ask, when it comes to mythic+ do other ret paladins find it hard to find random groups?

I apply for many groups in the dungeon finder where I match or go over the apparent 'required iLvL' but seem to never get invites, sometimes it takes so long to find a group I stop playing.

Is this normal? Mythic+ is pretty much all i have time for and ret is the class I've been playing since wrath and I don't really want to have to switch just to get into something over a +7.

Cheers

Generally have no problem finding groups appropriate to my ilvl. I find that my chances go up when I /w the leader telling them I have a stack of drums, as most groups will be looking to fill 1/3rd of their DPS slots with someone with lust.
    Ret paladin is in a good place right now as far as melee DPS go. Lots of utility, strong and instant off heals, strong survivability, strong ST, strong burst/swapping capabilities, decent AoE (or strong AoE, decent ST depending on how you've geared). You'll not get the same reception as a mage, but honestly haven't had any issues so far.

Happens alot if you try to pug groups all the time. Rets are actually quite useful in M+ IMO. They can dispel poisons, off-heal a lot with WoG and have really good single target burst. Even the AoE isnt bad, add Bubble, BoP to that and I think Ret is actually really good for M+.

Best advice I have for you is to try and find consistent players to run with, develop a friendship and prove that you are a good M+ player.

Quote Originally Posted by Jyggalag View Post
    Generally have no problem finding groups appropriate to my ilvl. I find that my chances go up when I /w the leader telling them I have a stack of drums, as most groups will be looking to fill 1/3rd of their DPS slots with someone with lust.
    Ret paladin is in a good place right now as far as melee DPS go. Lots of utility, strong and instant off heals, strong survivability, strong ST, strong burst/swapping capabilities, decent AoE (or strong AoE, decent ST depending on how you've geared). You'll not get the same reception as a mage, but honestly haven't had any issues so far.
    You are completely dilusional. Ret is one of the worst melee to bring to M+. And no, brining drums doesn't make you viable.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Deleted
    Yea see when I'm in a group it's fine as like you say I enjoy providing utility throughout, being able to negate some mechanics and help healing on particularly rough weeks. The problem is I just get declined or ignored when applying.

My guild is all about raiding it seems and no one wants to do mythic+, perhaps I need to find a new guild that focuses on that but not sure that exists!

Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    You are completely dilusional. Ret is one of the worst melee to bring to M+. And no, brining drums doesn't make you viable.
    You are completely dilusional. Ret is one of the best melee to bring to M+. And yes, bringing drums makes you viable.

Ret is one of the worst melee's to bring. Poor AoE, no utility in the form of masstun/solar beam. Sure the healing and support is nice, but you're filling a damage slot and there are a many better specs than ret.

7+ Year Old Account
    From my experience, getting into M+ is pretty awful as Ret. I can have over 10 item levels than they request and no dice - even when they seek 2 dps!

We just don't bring anything appealing to the group unlike most other dps. No one wants a DpS because they can add healing to the group - they want darn good damage (which we don't have) and useful buffs (which we don't have).

You are completely dilusional. Ret is one of the best melee to bring to M+. And yes, bringing drums makes you viable.
    Every class can bring drums. It does NOT make you viable. Look at the leaderboards, the only melee that has an equal or worse representation is feral/enhance.

And this is coming from a 1350 r.io Ret.

And you say this when your best M+ clear is a +5. Get real.

Deleted
    Ok well it seems that I'm not alone in finding it difficult then.

Off to the recruitment forums I go looking for a mythic + guild if one's around on EU

Every class can bring drums. It does NOT make you viable. Look at the leaderboards, the only melee that has an equal or worse representation is feral/enhance.

Oh, did I argue that it did? I thought I was just turning your pointless arguement back on its head to show how pointless it was. I guess my M+ score isn't high enough to have an opinion. Please forgive me, oh great one

As if representation has anything to do with Ret paladin being viable? You don't even know what level of key the OP is running or how skilled they are.

He tanked the +5.

- - - Updated - - -

As if representation has anything to do with Ret paladin being viable? You don't even know what level of key the OP is running or how skilled they are.
    He did say he is trying to get in dungeons higher than +7.

This situation is the direct consequence of a terrible balance/design from Blizzard for several reasons :

1th : the game actually favor range DD over melee ones (that's something Blizzard could modify but they never did for years, so I don't expect them to change theyr mind on theyr design philosophy any time soon).

2th : Complete imbalance between classes when it comes to what they bring to the group in term of : utility/DPS/mobility/surviability (I mean, com'on, I play DH and I'm pretty good at every aspect while ret is utter garbage in almost all of them).

You'll find a spot in a decent guild because there is around 14 slots for DD but there is only 3 in mm+. The funniest thing in this mess is that Blizzard wanted to push mm+ further than in Legion, to be an almost viable alternative way to gear from raid and the same expansion they add back buffs so some classes will get higher priority over some others, and where do they add those buffs ? on some of the most looked classes for mm+, yeah, clever. And let's not talk about scroll and drums.

As a melee, I'll almost never have a perfect set up to optimize my DPS, I need a monk and a warrior + a bloodlust, that's possible but compare to what range need : a DH and a mage, yeah, pretty much ten times easier and you go for 4 range and 1 tank.

This game is simply terrible when it comes to balance competitive content for everyone/every classes, they don't even try.

Not as good as a rogue (but then again nothing is) or DH, but arguably equal to or better than either warrior spec depending on the affixes, usually better than both DK's, and almost always better than feral, WW, and enhancement.

But yeah you'd still rather have one rogue and 2 ranged DPS though. And the drop off from rogue to any other melee dps is pretty freakin huge.
    Last edited by Hoeth; 2018-10-30 at 06:01 PM.

Oh, did I argue that it did? I thought I was just turning your pointless arguement back on its head to show how pointless it was. I guess my M+ score isn't high enough to have an opinion. Please forgive me, oh great one

Nah you're just an idiot trying to save face on a website full of players like yourself, clueless. Keep the useless echo chamber going in a desperate attempt to feel relevant in at least one aspect of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehalbino View Post
    Nah you're just an idiot trying to save face on a website full of players like yourself, clueless. Keep the useless echo chamber going in a desperate attempt to feel relevant in at least one aspect of your life.
    Echo chamber? The only echo chamber I see is coming from the terrible players claiming ret "isn't viable" or that I'm clueless for pointing out my own personal experience, along with the classes strengths. But hey, if you can't play ret properly then that's your problem. Going for big raider io scores and dick measuring competitions? Play FoTM, obviouslty, no one's arguing this. Going for 7+? Ret is completely viable. Get good. And if you want to compare dicks, I've achieved more than any of you trolls ever will put together in this game because I play casual af for the best part of 6h/week for the 2nd expansion in 12 years you think your wee score on some website makes your opinion more "relevant" than mine is the best part hahaha try harder

Echo chamber? The only echo chamber I see is coming from the terrible players claiming ret "isn't viable" or that I'm clueless for pointing out my own personal experience, along with the classes strengths. But hey, if you can't play ret properly then that's your problem. Going for big raider io scores and dick measuring competitions? Play FoTM, obviouslty, no one's arguing this. Going for 7+? Ret is completely viable. Get good. And if you want to compare dicks, I've achieved more than any of you trolls ever will put together in this game because I play casual af for the best part of 6h/week for the 2nd expansion in 12 years you think your wee score on some website makes your opinion more "relevant" than mine is the best part hahaha try harder
    None of that has ANYTHING to do with that the OP is having issues even getting accepted to do a +7.

Just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean that pugging it is feasible, or that pug groups will even pick a Ret paladin usually.

When the discussion is "getting into pug groups", the FotM and io score matter a hell of a lot, since that's what pugs tend to go by.

And I'm not quite sure why you admit that you know rets won't get the same reception as a mage, but then also think bringing drums will work.

Drums are weaker than heroism/bloodlust/time warp anyway.
    So why bring a ret with drums when you can just bring a mage and then get a rogue for melee
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2018-10-30 at 07:51 PM.

And you know Ret is viable on 7+ keys from your experience with +4 keys

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I have 381ilvl and have to app to a dozen +10 keys at least to get taken in. My io score is terrible because I only do dungeons I like doing and even then I skip some of them if the affix is shit. I can't imagine what it's like to be less geared and try to get into lower keys. I only get taken because I have a lot of gear and they assume I will do lots of DPS to make up for how shit my spec is at Mythics. It's that simple, Ret is awful at Mythics. It has shitty AOE damage and even worse AOE utility.

Again, it's not a matter even of how bad Ret is, it's how much worse Ret is than other melee you can bring. Rogues can skip trash pulls. At low keys, this can easily be the difference between 1 and 2 chests. Having an AOE heal that you won't need because the dungeon does fuck all aoe damage is not gonna compete with that. Ret's fine single target and is strong enough defensively for these things, even it's awful mobility is rarely an issue in most dungeons. These things don't matter though to a dude forming up his key who is almost certainly wanting to get carried or at least have as easy a time as possible. Nobody wants Ret.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

And you know Ret is viable on 7+ keys from your experience with +4 keys
    Nah, just from my experience with multiple +5 keys with less than 360ilvl, how easy they were, and my own personal experience with having no difficulties finding groups given my limited play time. Oh and the the raider.io ret paladin leaderboard where nearly 40 ret paladins have completed a +15, and at least 200 pages of ret paladins having completed +10s. And a bit of common sense.

Definitely not from mmo champion trolls like you claiming "ret's aren't viable"