Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I haven't played this game since Day 1 :P Just didn't get into it haha, now it's time to give it another shot - worth just buying the standard collection for £42.99 and having both xpacs + 2 boosts? I take it the xpacs offer completely seperate content, different worlds/maps? I gotta be honest can't remember anything about this game haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xStevooo View Post
    I haven't played this game since Day 1 :P Just didn't get into it haha, now it's time to give it another shot - worth just buying the standard collection for £42.99 and having both xpacs + 2 boosts? I take it the xpacs offer completely seperate content, different worlds/maps? I gotta be honest can't remember anything about this game haha.
    Yeah, the two xpacs have their own set of maps content/design styles/raids. 40 is worth it even if you just play through all the story quests and nothing touch the game again. Thats a ton of content for that price.

The only hard sell is that both expansions have "living story" maps/content that was free when they were released but cost money (or gold) for new players.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Yeah, the two xpacs have their own set of maps content/design styles/raids. 40 is worth it even if you just play through all the story quests and nothing touch the game again. Thats a ton of content for that price.

The only hard sell is that both expansions have "living story" maps/content that was free when they were released but cost money (or gold) for new players.
    I am more of an end game player, but looking forward to open world events and pvp mostly, do you know whether level 80 boosts are completely inclusive when purchasing an xpac? Reason i ask is that it's 42.99 if purchasing through the official site, but a reseller on their page DLGamer are offering it for 32.49 but it doesn't mention boosts.

I have a hunter (ranger?) and a fire mage type character I believe, is there a class that plays out like a witch doctor/warlock? I enjoy that style in PVP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xStevooo View Post
    I am more of an end game player, but looking forward to open world events and pvp mostly, do you know whether level 80 boosts are completely inclusive when purchasing an xpac? Reason i ask is that it's 42.99 if purchasing through the official site, but a reseller on their page DLGamer are offering it for 32.49 but it doesn't mention boosts.

I have a hunter (ranger?) and a fire mage type character I believe, is there a class that plays out like a witch doctor/warlock? I enjoy that style in PVP.
    Yes, the boosts come with the xpacs.

Ranger is a meta class in all game modes (PVE, PVP, WVW), mostly as a healer or condi dps (DoTs).

Fire mage? Think you're talking about Elementalist or Necromancer. Elemntalist is a strong dps class in PVE, strong hybrid in PVP (steep learning curve). Necromancer has always and will probably always been strong in PVP and open world PVE. In endgame PVE its usually a hybrid support/condi class.

Deleted
    still getting my ass handed to me by the weakest of mobs within 3-5 seconds regardless of class, while i see others just standing and being able to tank hits from several mobs for like 20-30 seconds...

Quote Originally Posted by your mother View Post
    still getting my ass handed to me by the weakest of mobs within 3-5 seconds regardless of class, while i see others just standing and being able to tank hits from several mobs for like 20-30 seconds...
    I really don't know what to tell you at this point other than it's an issue with how you're playing. Because based off the gear you've said you had, what your traits look like, and everything else you shouldn't be struggling to kill things pretty quickly or stay alive against normal and especially low level mobs : /

I left WoW part way through Cata to play GW2 when it released and still play it now on a daily basis. Its not without its flaws but I love the game and consider it to be vastly superior to WoW in nearly every way in its current state due to the improvements over the last couple of expansions.

1. The community is great, friendly, active, helpful and no matter where I go in the game world there is always people doing things, and its incredibly active in the most recent zones where you join large groups to complete tasks. Dragon stand for example is content from a previous expansion and the whole zone is a chain event and on the weekends guilds organize the event. You just turn up, join a commander (raid leader) and do the event. It consists of 80-100 people so map chat is very active. Any day during the week some commander is organizing chain events and again you just turn up and join the group as they move around killing world bosses. The visuals are amazing, sound and music is top notch, fluid combat with an enormous amount of variation to play your class to suit your style. GW2 adds to the living story once every 3-4 months which open up new maps, new things to achieve, armour sets, new mounts, etc. Some achievements are actually story driven and have multiple tiers. It has the best gear customization. You just need to view the 'post your character' thread to see all the different variations.

2. Visually looks better, added elite specializations to each class giving you a completely different way to play, gliding system, masteries for horizontal progression, mounts, raids, fractals, more world vs world options, expanded on pvp options, more professions, pets, guild housing (where you can design you guild hall how you want in multiple locations). They did break their golden rule and added another layer of gear progression (ascended) which I didn't mind too much but it is a large damage increase.

3. Pretty much everything except. Loading between zones, no large battlegrounds (15v15, its either 5v5 in structured pvp or 1200 in WvW, broken into 4 maps), no fishing (yet), I prefer the story in WoW, it feels more epic and high fantasy. GW2 took a hit with its story around the time of Scarlet and she was pretty much disliked by the community for the wrong reasons, they are back on track now though with Gods and Dragons (and if you raid, Demons) which leads me onto dislikes.

4. Raiding. Call me lazy but its hard to get into and requires some time and dedication. Learn the meta, get the right gear, come prepared with the right food buffs, enchants etc. No LFR in GW2. They did open up raids for exploring the map but to actually see the content some of the story is locked behind the raid bosses. I just youtube the cutscenes to catch up on what I've missed. You also find some of the worst of the community in raiding. These are your toxic elite, they are not all like this but you have to shop around to find good friendly groups.

5. Play what you want, some are more meta than others if you are into Raiding or Fractals (GW2 progression dungeon system) then chances are people will ask for that specialization. Their system is very well done. As a ranger I can use a longbow and pick people off from a distance, OR go the Aragorn style and wield a sword and use the skirmishing traits. OR switch to the Ranger(Druid) specialization and be a healer OR switch to Ranger (Soul Beast) and meld with my pet and wield duel daggers and use my pets abilities as magical attacks. Honestly the amount of options is overwhelming at first but you soon get to grips with it after experimenting.

6. 10/10 I like to explore and even 6 years later I'm still finding out new things. "Wait how long has that been in the game for? Tomorrow I'm ticking that off.." One year I focused purely on WvW and another I just did PvP and tried climbing the ranks. My only gripe is that some content is designed for groups and if it becomes old content then you will struggle to complete it. I've only come across this a couple of times but its still annoying nonetheless because I wanted the drops from it. And some of the nice cosmetic stuff is really grindy to get, but that's just me being lazy again.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    1. I like the progression system. There is no leveling in the expansions and it is straight gear progression. All content is scaled so there is no one shotting anything. Also jumping puzzles

2. Mounts, masteries, gliding. They added a ton more group content.

3. I think they are different games. I play them for different reasons. I solo play GW more to get map completion and group play in WoW.

4. Gearing and stats seem more convoluted and arent your typical +crit, +haste as far as I can tell.

5. Once you hit 80 and have the specific expansion, you can travel there and get hero points to unlock those specs. You don't have to play it, but nearly everyone in end game is either one of the elite spec.s

6. I give it an 8/10 for what I do in it.
    Your first point, there is gear now to grind!? THe only reason I couldnt play this game is because there is no gear treadmill thing or whatever you call it. I want goals, gear to go for to make my character better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totikki View Post
    Your first point, there is gear now to grind!? THe only reason I couldnt play this game is because there is no gear treadmill thing or whatever you call it. I want goals, gear to go for to make my character better.
    Eh depends on what you mean, if you're trying to get BiS and why.

Theres two endgame tiers. You need ascended gear to run endgame fractals raids can done is exotics. Some stats are harder to obtain than others which is where the 'grind' would come from I guess. Compleltly maxxing your stats takes a bit of time too. And then thats if you're fine with just ascended gear because you can push the envelope further and craft a full legendary set (no actual stat increase), legendary armor requires you to be decent at raids.

If I want to get back into the game and want to start raiding asap (as an elementalist/engineer/mesmer, havent decided yet). Do I have any chance of doing so this far in?

Or is it still months of grinding gear, mats, agony resistance etc before I can start looking at a raid? I do have 80 chars, but havent really done much past that

Quote Originally Posted by Tavin View Post
    If I want to get back into the game and want to start raiding asap (as an elementalist/engineer/mesmer, havent decided yet). Do I have any chance of doing so this far in?

Or is it still months of grinding gear, mats, agony resistance etc before I can start looking at a raid? I do have 80 chars, but havent really done much past that
    Exotic is enough for raiding and agony resistance is only used in fractals. Though some builds use sets from expansions and those are still BoA, so you'll at least need to level your crafting profession.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavin View Post

You picked the 3 classes with the hardest rotations for most people.

Ele and Engineer are power classes, dead simple to get an exotic set for them.

Mesmer is a bit more complicated. You'll be told to tank/buff or go condition damage. The former set isn't so easy to get jumping back into the game. Condi is okay but I've always went straight to the ascended variant of the stats for that build.

The raid meta will require you to have both xpacs.

Raid 1 requires updraft (only if you group has low dps).
    Raid might require a mastery I'm not sure.
    3 requires leyline gliding.
    6 requires the 4th mount. A griffon doesn't hurt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mesmer being only tank or ondi condi is half true, nowadays deadly tempo chronomancer is STUPID strong in terms of burst and overall DPS, it requires cordination and other chronos to boost your slow uptime, but its STRONG as hell
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Do you need to be in a guild to play guild wars or can you play wo being in a guild?
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    ? guild wars title is from the lore, not from a system itself, its like saying world of warcraft is about war, but now its about a battle for AP 8(
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    WoW sucks. Shadow is ruined and likely not getting repaired.

My wife is disinterested in her hunter and lock too, and has given up raiding already (I would too were I not a guild leader).

I was looking for other MMO's to go to, but the market is pretty barren right now.

There are some new entries on the distant horizon that have some promise like Pantheon and Camelot Unchained, but there is no meat to either of them yet, and they're both likely candidates for vanishing in a puff of smoke & bankruptcy months before launch.

So I dug around the internet and found that the second most popular MMO is still Guild Wars 2, years after launch it's still got 2.5M players: those aren't rookie numbers!

I played a Mesmer in the beta and generally liked a lot of the ideas in GW2, but launch hit around the same time as a WoW expansion and I got pulled the other way. Memories are generally fond but vague, and outdated by now.

Questions:

1. What do you like about Guild Wars 2?

2. What improvements have they made since launch?

3. What is better about Guild Wars 2 than WoW?

4. What do you dislike about Guild Wars 2?

5. What's going on with the class system? Do you need to evolve your Mesmer into a Mirage? What if the base class sounds cooler?

6. Rate Guild Wars, out of 10.

Thanks!
    As you said, two years after launch, where most MMO's are dying left and right, they are still up there.