8.1's XP Squish, Questions and Concerns...Need Clarification, really.

Experience Required to Level Reduced on 8.1 PTR
    The experience required to level from 1 to 110 has decreased substantially on the PTR, with extremely small changes to the 110 to 120 experience. The following chart shows just how much the experience has been lowered.

My question is: With this upcoming XP requirement squish, will your current character be levelled up in accordance with the amount of XP your character currently has, or will their current total XP be reduced to a number relative to their current level and XP? (i.e.: if you had 50% XP till the next level, you would still have 50% XP till the next level)

My concern is: If it's the latter, than I would feel cheated! Since I already earned the XP I had before the XP requirement squish. If I suddenly lost that XP because of a "requirement" squish, then it's like I wasted all that time grinding...it'll be like all of the mob I previously killed was worth less XP.

I'm assuming that the amount of XP each mob gives you will still be the same, but the requirements for leveling would just be reduced. Right? So, shouldn't we be able to keep our current XP?

Quote Originally Posted by AbeAbeAbe View Post
    My question is: With this upcoming XP requirement squish, will your current character be levelled up in accordance with the amount of XP your character currently has, or will their current total XP be reduced to a number relative to their current level and XP? (i.e.: if you had 50% XP till the next level, you would still have 50% XP till the next level)

My concern is: If it's the latter, than I would feel cheated! Since I already earned the XP I had before the XP requirement squish. If I suddenly lost that XP because of a "requirement" squish, then it's like I wasted all that time grinding...it'll be like all of the mob I previously killed was worth less XP.

I'm assuming that the amount of XP each mob gives you will still be the same, but the requirements for leveling would just be reduced. Right? So, shouldn't we be able to keep our current XP?
    No, it will reduce the % of the remaining levels. If you are 50% of the way to level 2, you will still be 50% of the way to level 2 post squish. Yes, you wasted all that time grinding. It happens.

They've never adjusted character level to make up for experience squishes in the past and i wouldn't hold my breath now.

10+ Year Old Account

Just curious, when did you start playing? Because there have been many experience squishes over the years and you would have already been "cheated" out of a lot of exp that way

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    No, it will reduce the % of the remaining levels. If you are 50% of the way to level 2, you will still be 50% of the way to level 2 post squish. Yes, you wasted all that time grinding. It happens.
    Other times they've done this you end up at 99% (or one exp point away, I forget) if you were over 50% already
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

What occurs is you keep the amount of exp you had pooled in your current level. So if you had 50k exp into your level, you'd keep that.

So as an example, if you were like 50k of 100k (50% into level) and then they reduced the required exp by 30%, you'd become 50k of 70k (~71.4% into level).

The only time you 'lose' exp is if the required amount of exp is reduced below what you had. Then you'd basically just need 1 exp to level.

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    They've never adjusted character level to make up for experience squishes in the past and i wouldn't hold my breath now.
    They have actually. The first XP nerf. They reduced the number of XP required to level. If you were already past that amount on the level you were on, then you got the level. What they didn't do is take your entire XP gained and then apply it to the new leveling scheme, which for higher levels, would have resulted in numerous extra levels. Honestly, if you didn't play the game why are you even answering the question?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    They have actually. The first XP nerf. They reduced the number of XP required to level. If you were already past that amount on the level you were on, then you got the level. What they didn't do is take your entire XP gained and then apply it to the new leveling scheme, which for higher levels, would have resulted in numerous extra levels. Honestly, if you didn't play the game why are you even answering the question?
    I don't recall ever gaining levels based on this. At most I remember going up to 99% but not actually leveling.

Now that I read this again, I actually misunderstood. I thought he was asking to be compensated for earlier levels, so your second example.

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    I don't recall ever gaining levels based on this. At most I remember going up to 99% but not actually leveling.

Now that I read this again, I actually misunderstood. I thought he was asking to be compensated for earlier levels, so your second example.
    So, if you currently have 50K XP and currently you need 100K XP for the next level (so, you're 50% to the next level), if after the XP squish you only require 60K would you still keep your 50K or would your XP be reduced to 30K (50% of 60)

So, if you currently have 50K XP and currently you need 100K XP for the next level (so, you're 50% to the next level), if after the XP squish you only require 60K would you still keep your 50K or would your XP be reduced to 30K (50% of 60)
    Copy your char to PTR and find out.

Ultimately it really doesn't matter. You should view it differently:
    Right now you still need 50k to level, in the future you either need 30k or 10k - either way less then now, so you still win regardless. There is no "lose" here, its only in your head.

Sure, if you waited longer, you might have to play less. But who is to say they won't adjust it again in the future? Maybe you should wait for that? Of course you'll also have your char done much later then. Its the same argument with any price cut, you can wait indefinitely for prices to drop, but at some point you probably wanted to have whatever you are waiting on.
    Last edited by Nevcairiel; 2018-11-09 at 06:39 AM.

When you are walking on a road, and a car picks you up to take you the rest of the way, do you complain to the driver that you wasted all that time walking?
    You're getting to the destination (max level) faster than before. What does 2-3 quests worth of xp matter?