View Poll Results: Too Soon? Too long?

Voters
507. This poll is closed
  • TOO SOON! YOU HAVE AWAKENED ME TOO SOON, EXECUTUS!

50 9.86%
  • Not soon enough! *shakes fist*

325 64.10%
  • Don't care either way! Zero fucks given.

132 26.04%

Thread: Flying in 8.2

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Why does it even matter anyway. They pretty much made no point in going out in the world at all anyway.. I mean maybe to go do 3-4 WQ a day? For a lot of people not even that. Just doesnt matter anymore.

Can't wait to fly in the new zones!

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    You talk about it as though it was an objectively bad thing. How many games can you think of where the playerbase doesn't engage because of "laziness"? in other games. the same content that in wow makes "players show how lazy they are" is considered bad/boring and players are justified in not playing through it. For the record, I got pathfinder on the 2nd or 3rd week of bfa, I don't consider having to unlock flying to be a flaw, if we weren't time gated out of the reward that is.
    Laziness is a bad thing, especially in an MMO. IF you want the rewards, put in the effort. You should never have things simply handed to you simply because you can't be bothered to put in the effort.

2 soon i have not done much yet

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Again, try not to fall into internet pedantry. There's a reasonable way to read it, and there's a non-reasonable way to read it. Your way is the chicken sandwich way.
    Now resorting to the "the way I do it is right", the way do do it is wrong" bit. Now you are just trolling so ignore list it is.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Laziness is a bad thing, especially in an MMO. IF you want the rewards, put in the effort. You should never have things simply handed to you simply because you can't be bothered to put in the effort.
    And you should never have the reward delayed by massive unnecessary timegates which serve to pad MAUs instead of to enhance gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    And you should never have the reward delayed by massive unnecessary timegates which serve to pad MAUs instead of to enhance gameplay.
    Particularly when you did put the effort towards said reward approximately 10 years ago (5k gold grind)... and 4 years ago, and again 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    Particularly when you did put the effort towards said reward approximately 10 years ago (5k gold grind)... and 4 years ago, and again 2 years ago.
    Well, that's a bit more of a grey area. I have no real problem with having to earn flying in new areas where I don't already have it. This is no different than earning new gear from new raids or other new expansion content.

My main issue is where I've done the work, but still have to wait MONTHS before actually getting the reward. No other part of the game works this way. Sure, drop rates may delay your access to certain things, or may not drop at all for months at a time(rare mounts especially!), but one you get it, it's done.

Pathfinder itself isn't perfect, but the core concept of working for the reward of flight is at least acceptable. The only part of it that's pure, unmitigated bullshit is the delay between completing each stage of the achievement and actually getting flight. It turns it away from "Master the ground first, get to fly over it later" into "Play the entire expansion first, then get flying when it's worthless."

That part of it BADLY needs refinement and improvement.

The current team running WoW is just as tiny window of the corporate culture infecting Activision/Blizzard currently. I can't imagine how miserable it must be to work there - constant politics, bean counting, maneuvering for positions, competing with no sense of camaraderie. They are so busy playing psychological games with each other and edging each other out for resources that the last thing on their mind is how much fun the player is having.

So of course they're not going to allow flying until the new no-fly zone is released. Gotta keep that time-played metric maxed out, as if that somehow increases revenue. I don't know if Blizz actually believes that or if it's just the fairytale they're spinning to investors.

I used to think Ion and his ilk would eventually move on, but even if they do I don't know what difference it would make. I think this is as good as it's going to get now. I really wish another game company would make something to rival WoW and actually listen to their customer base every once in a while.

They recently said they were leaning towards allowing flight in the 8.2 zones, so that is incorrect. I was really surprised too.

That said, I still don't see why I can't fly now. I completely finished all the 8.0 open-world zones. So let me fly there. That's how Pathfinder is logically supposed to work.

They recently said they were leaning towards allowing flight in the 8.2 zones, so that is incorrect. I was really surprised too.

That said, I still don't see why I can't fly now. I completely finished all the 8.0 open-world zones. So let me fly there. That's how Pathfinder is logically supposed to work.
    Anyone who still believes anything Blizzard says is an idiot. They can and will say anything to get your money up front, then change their story later. The only reason they're saying they might allow flying in 8.2 zones is to potentially keep you playing and working on pathfinder through 8.1. It would NOT surprise me at all to see a no-fly zone relased after the fact ala "This is Argus".

I still hold hope there's room somewhere in the middle between white-knighting and blind hatred of Blizzard. But you don't see it a lot, on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Well, it's kinda like Legion (with exception that 8.2 will come relative later than 7.2). Big questions is that if flying will be available in Nazjatar, Mechagon and potential 8.3 zone(s).

And yeah, I still think it should be turn off in War Mode until 9.0. They just should put shit ton of Honor, Conquest and unique pet/mounts/transmog to encourage people to play that mode.
    They said they are intending to allow flying in Mechagon and Nazjatar but it's not confirmed. I am fully expecting they are saying that just so they can bait flying players in and then not allow it. Hoping it gets buried in a wall of patch notes. I don't really trust the current dev team, which is sad, because I think people like Jeremy and Alex are genuinely well meaning.

They're all well-meaning. Nobody goes to work and thinks to themselves "Hey, what can I do to screw over players today?"

They genuinely believe they're doing the right things, making the hard decisions, for the benefit of the game.

The problem isn't intent. It's competence.

They're all well-meaning. Nobody goes to work and thinks to themselves "Hey, what can I do to screw over players today?"

They genuinely believe they're doing the right things, making the hard decisions, for the benefit of the game.

I don't know about that, someone has to make the decision on how to slow down players and the suits up top don't know the game well enough to give a detailed brief on how to do it, Most are well-meaning but some aren't.

Fuck it I just uninstalled, done with this garbage.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

We all know there was an internal struggle over this. And we all know who have won.
    They do it for the benefit of their OKR (MAU must be this high), whether those OKR are set right or not, we don't know
    But as for the benefit of the game...
    No flying made my in-game experience worse
    I see no benefit in it to myself
    Therefore there's no benefit for the game in my case

The only benefit for the game that I can understand is an ultimatum - no flying or no game. But sadly I have chosen the latter already while the game is still there.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    That's fine I suppose. Between the whistle, whistle teleport to the capital, instant teleports to 3 out of 6 zones from said capital, and dense flight points, the only thing I've noticed is the rack up of flight point costs.

How about we compromise and add an "emerald winds" toy equivalent in 8.1?
    This is what I don't understand. I don't know that this applies to you specially, but I see so many people who are against flight because it lacks immersion (and insert all the other reasons), however they are fine with magical teleporting whistles, and flight paths.

I have yet to see anyone give a satisfying reason why whistles and flying mounts you can't control are more compelling gameplay than flying mounts you can control.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    I don't know about that, someone has to make the decision on how to slow down players and the suits up top don't know the game well enough to give a detailed brief on how to do it, Most are well-meaning but some aren't.
    Slowed down to the point where you get so tired and bored from being dazed by the same inconsequential mob for the 500th time, or how have to slow swim through all the lakes, or remount on your strider...just to get dazed in the middle of a lake, by a inconsequential fish, for the 600th time, that folks just stop playing.

I think their math is broken if they think artificially slowing down players to the point that they unsub is getting their more sub income. I'd be curious to compare the percentage of alts being leveled and played now as compared to WotLK. BC through MoP I had all my alts max leveled, which hasn't happened since. So that's why I'm curious. how much is me being an oddball, or are there a decent amount of altoholics going through the same thing.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

10+ Year Old Account
    I am glad for flying, but I dont care enough to really have an opinion. I enjoy the convenience, but I'm not passionate about it either way.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

10+ Year Old Account
    Flying should be a reward for completing the 8.0 storylines and getting all the rep exalted, would be a perfect incentive to keep doing WQ's for rep.

Not to mention that the Horde hub basically NEEDS flying to be functional enough to use, it's absolutely ridiculous that we can't fly immediately once we don't even need to be in the world anymore.