Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Expansion with the best art style

I think Vanilla (not an expansion, I know) had the best art style: authentic dark fantasy, with a kiddie twist. After that, the art got too rough and "hard". It feels like anti-art now: art made to serve a purpose -- pictures, in other words -- rather than simply to be beautiful.

I think you're remembering the wrong game if you only remember "Dark Fantasy".

So far i liked MoP best, though BfA isn't bad on art either.

Mists wins, with BfA not very far behind if you ask me.

And how was vanilla dark fantasy anyway? Warcraft has literally never been dark fantasy nor aspired to. This ain't The Witcher or Darkest Dungeon.

7+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what part of the game you mean?
    I consider TBC to have the best designed tier sets overall, very memorable and unique, but MoP wins on overall art style. It was a very well designed style with lots of attention to detail, both gear/weapon wise and world design. A good execution of the expansion theme.
    Wotlk also had a great art style when it came to zone design and Legion wasn't shabby either, many of the artifacts had amazing art.

10+ Year Old Account
    vanilla had the best color.

when I look at the texture and non vibrant color patterns they do nowadays I scratch my head. anything they redo is inferior color wise. oh well, as long as they don't butcher outland, northrend and pandaria I'm ok. you can't shine eternally. losing touch is fine after some time.

need a word on legion weapons though. spark of brilliance coming out of nowhere.

on music, vanilla probably was superior. on grand epicness, wotlk. again, sad to see that the music turned into cacophonic uninspired music nowadays...games deserve better than subpar movie music. no music or reused music is better than bad or filler music.
    Last edited by Cæli; 2018-11-14 at 02:44 PM.

I respect that MoP is in many people's eyes the most well-stylized.

I personally can't stand Pandas, monkey's throwing bananas (Hozen), and overall the Asian-stylized theme of the expansion. For me, it didn't fit as well as the other expansions and felt a bit too lighthearted and silly for my tastes. But that's very subjective.

I'd say WoTLK for me. Loved Northrend, all the zones (especially the Howling Fjord & Grizzly Hills), music, tier-sets and overall themes
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

TBC for me. It's probably the most unique style WoW has ever used, not the most consistent or polished, but very interesting in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Deleted
    TBC.

MoP was like a poor attempt to recreate vanilla for the chinese and little kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I think Vanilla (not an expansion, I know) had the best art style: authentic dark fantasy, with a kiddie twist. After that, the art got too rough and "hard". It feels like anti-art now: art made to serve a purpose -- pictures, in other words -- rather than simply to be beautiful.
    I'd say BfA has the best art style imho. It's a huge upgrade compared to Legion (Suramar was awesome, but everything else was meh).
    WoD comes in 2nd.
    MoP had probably the most different art style. That one's also good, but it's not better than WoD or BfA... and it was super controversial

Overall, out of all expansions, I'd say Legion was the weakest by far... but other than that, every expansion was pretty good looking.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    TBC for me. It's probably the most unique style WoW has ever used, not the most consistent or polished, but very interesting in general.
    +1. Visually, BC really hit the sweet spot on landscapes, music, gear design (except plate, sorry plate wearers, I know you were sol). Netherstorm and Shadowmoon Valley are among the most impressive zones in the entire game imo.

MoP is a close second, btw. I know that the Chinese-like style put a lot of people off back then, but I loved it. It was a quite unique take, something I would like to see again. Whoever that designed Townlong Steppes and Krasarang Wilds deserves big kudos
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

It's gotta be MoP for me. The zones and art just feel surreal and very calm. I love going back to those zones.

Overall in terms of looks Mists of Pandaria looked the priettiest for me.

Of course I like the art style of every expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP's zones are still among the top 10 most beautiful in WoW for me, and I loved the various creatures and architectures so it's the best art-wise imo.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    MoP by far. The worst has to be TBC, with the hodgepodge of extreme colours and sci-fy 'n fantasy - that expansion was just all over the place.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pandaria, her hills of gold.

Wrath wins for me in terms of environment art including raids and dungeons, though this is a tough call because environment detail and crispness continues to improve from one expansion to the next.

Outland gets an honorable mention for how imaginative it was. An HD revamp of that would be quite cool, if they ever got around to such a thing.

It's much tougher to pick a favorite for armors. Legion and WoD both had some excellent sets.
    Last edited by melodramocracy; 2018-11-14 at 03:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP for me aswel, absolutely loved it.

The OST is also quite good.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

I thought the art design for Warlords was probably the most compelling, which I know won't be the popular answer.
    The environments and set pieces of all the Draenor zones were spectacular (special shout out to the Apexis/Arakkoa stuff).
    The first raid tier of weapons and gear was excellent.
    Tanaan and HFC stuff was not great, Ill give you that.

MoP was stunning and incredibly immersive, nothing about it bothered me (maybe the weird seeds with the glowing eyes in Townlong). WoTLK comes in second with the exception of Sholazar. Wish they had stuck with the cold theme completely.