Poll: The real game starts...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    I think it is very subjective to say that, making it pretty much impossible to center down on it from a player-to-player basis, but if you see the game from the perspektive of a new player, the game should clearly start at lvl 1, as you need to learn the game from that point on.

In my opinion, i think the game at max lvl(or 10 lvls before it) is way too complicated to start with and that the leveling experience from 1-120 is nessesary if you are a new player, not really to know what end-game is gonna be about, but more to learn the fundamentals of how you play the game at an acceptable level.

That said, i know some people who would say, that 1-120 is pretty much a big tranning montage for the real game at lvl 120
    40-60 hours to memorize a joypad rotation and the use of tab? thats not a "big training montage", but an insult to IQ-average.

i want to remember WoW being an epic odysee, but it always was just a grind to endgame. cuz mob- and questdesign (textboxes) have already been out of date at Vanilla release. i remember playing Vampire 2 and Neocron BDOY Evo2.2 instead...

Since TBC was released there are really only 3 levels - Every level prior to gaining access to the new expansion, every level between gaining access to the new expansion and the level cap, and the level cap.

I GUESS WE ALL HAD FUN IN THE FAKE GAME FOR SEVERAL WEEKS BEFORE REACHING END GAME.

Legits idiots everywhere on this forum. The game starts when you first open it, it starts even before you create your character, choosing your server and your faction is a big part of the game. (well server not so much anymore but you get the point... or maybe you don't since most of you think the game starts many hours after playing???????????????????????????)

Hey I have a good question for you, when does eating start? When you cook or when you shit it out?

Get out of here.

I'd pick "at the beginning of current expansion minimum level", so 110 in the case of BFA, but since that isn't an option I just went with max level

Leveling is just a pointless chore in current WoW that has no real meaning. They probably should just do away with levels like they did away with most other things. Where you "win" just by starting the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    When does the real game start and why do you think that way?
    I assume it's about current WoW?
    Sadly i am 100% sure the true game starts at level cap. It's been this way since MoP and I mostly blame the talent changes simultaniously with ability gain changes. Pre MoP leveling was cool, it wasnt the same tyrade all the time, dozens of hours of same thing, character not progressing at all and at times regressing. It's a flawed design. Leveling now is a horrible experience to both new players and vets.

in real mmorpgs. 1. in wow. they should just start everyone at cap. its such a mess now. more moba than mmorpg.

Obviously the game starts at level 1... As much as people like to pretend otherwise, we've all gone through the first experience of leveling. People still do, and new people are not jaded like the old players.

As much as I like questing and experiencing story, I would lie if I actually said that think the content that you can literally pay to skip is where the real game starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    As much as I like questing and experiencing story, I would lie if I actually said that think the content that you can literally pay to skip is where the real game starts.
    Paying extra to skip the game =/= it doesn't actually start at 1 to anyone not willing to throw away extra cash.
    Same as with everything else really, just because some people choose not to partake doesn't mean the content doesn't exist.

Deleted
    in old expansions it used to start at 1
    Now it starts at max level.

100%

10+ Year Old Account
    I chose Level 1 but I understand the sentiment behind the other. It's a sign that Blizzard has largely abandoned most of the game that people think that way and I'm fairly certain that the powers-that-be in Irvine privately agree that the game begins after leveling.

They're wrong in that in my estimation. It cheapens the majority of the content. It's a topic that forever pisses me off. At this point you pay your subscription fee for a tiny piece of the game.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    It starts at level 1.

Leveling is nothing more than a number representation of your stat growth and power acquisition. That growth process continues well beyond when you've hit the current expansions "cap". It's just represented solely through gear acquisition, and starts taking significantly longer.

Endgame also makes the world smaller for players in terms of worthwhile zones to be in. The vast majority of the games content is leveling content, and that becomes increasingly true with every new expansion that comes out.
    You do realize that in WoW leveling actually makes you weaker and you acquire gear to counter that? Scaling 101. And this is why real game starts at max level

Deleted
    well, the game starts at level 1 when you play it for the first time, but now 14 years later it starts at levelcap for the most of us !

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Paying extra to skip the game =/= it doesn't actually start at 1 to anyone not willing to throw away extra cash.
    Same as with everything else really, just because some people choose not to partake doesn't mean the content doesn't exist.
    That content is utterly irrelevant to the current game though. It exists and it is nice that it exists, but it isn't required and therfore optional. The real answer, as has been pointed out before, would be @110, but even then your interaction is limited at that level and only at max level can you actually experience everything.

Deleted
    Some questions:

Are there still people in the world leveling? (from my experience there isnt any, ive tried)
    Are mobs even hard to kill and require a group to clear some zones?

10+ Year Old Account
    It should start at lvl 1, but right now it doesn't, it hasn't for a long, long time... Right now leveling means nothing, and is just a hurdle you have to deal with before you get to do anything meaningful.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    That content is utterly irrelevant to the current game though. It exists and it is nice that it exists, but it isn't required and therfore optional. The real answer, as has been pointed out before, would be @110, but even then your interaction is limited at that level and only at max level can you actually experience everything.
    Yeah, well, short of taking actions to skip, the game world starts at level 1.
    Like I said, new players are not old and jaded. It's different if they have friends playing that convince them not to go through the journey because "teh gaem starts at an arbitrary level based on my feels!", which is quite sad.

Yeah, well, short of taking actions to skip, the game world starts at level 1.
    Like I said, new players are not old and jaded. It's different if they have friends playing that convince them not to go through the journey because "teh gaem starts at an arbitrary level based on my feels!", which is quite sad.
    You literally get a boost handed to you when you buy the game. Level 1-109 is legacy content.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Some questions:

Are there still people in the world leveling? (from my experience there isnt any, ive tried)
    Are mobs even hard to kill and require a group to clear some zones?
    Yes, there are. If there isn't any, then you must be running around with your eyes planted in the ground. I did 2 levels on my Mag'har Orc last night at 3:AM and there was still competition for quest items.
    If mobs are "hard to kill" seems like a rather irrelevant way to move the goalposts for what the game offers.