Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Holy PvP - How to handle class X?

Hi guys,

I just recently (yesterday) got my paladin to 120, and got some gear and started doing some arenas. At the time I was rather undergeared, sitting at like 320 ilvl, but ended the day at 340ish.

Either way, overall it felt fine, not a lot of classes gave me issues, but I really struggled with warriors (both fury and arms) in 2s. Basically, any warrior I didn't manage to juke interrupts from just annihilated me.

Any tips on handling warriors? Talents/playstyles etc.

Only times I really managed to survive was when they sucked at interrupting or I was lucky with crits (still low crit) for the fast Holy Lights, to keep the -15% damage buff up)

Quote Originally Posted by SirreASDF View Post
    Hi guys,

I just recently (yesterday) got my paladin to 120, and got some gear and started doing some arenas. At the time I was rather undergeared, sitting at like 320 ilvl, but ended the day at 340ish.

Either way, overall it felt fine, not a lot of classes gave me issues, but I really struggled with warriors (both fury and arms) in 2s. Basically, any warrior I didn't manage to juke interrupts from just annihilated me.

Any tips on handling warriors? Talents/playstyles etc.

Only times I really managed to survive was when they sucked at interrupting or I was lucky with crits (still low crit) for the fast Holy Lights, to keep the -15% damage buff up)
    Track opponents abilities.

Also sometimes the juke isn't worth it and you end up over thinking it while getting wittled down, intentionally take the interupt at high enough health knowing he can't school lock you for 15 seconds after that. 2s arenas are also very much offense/defense balance between you and your partner, with CC being able to be applied to either target, not just let yourself be forced defensive 100% of the time. I highly recommend avenging crusader also to train yourself to use offensive windows not just let opponents dictate to you.

This may sound stupid but be aware of your own cooldowns and actually use them. If you use blessing of protection(against these warriors for example) you'll have 30 second window of vulnerability with forbearance. Too often cooldowns dont get used because you're saving them not wanting to get caught out. Be willing to get caught out just be aware of what the timing windows are between CCs and recovery tools.
    Last edited by axxey; 2018-11-06 at 11:22 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by axxey View Post

Also sometimes the juke isn't worth it and you end up over thinking it while getting wittled down, intentionally take the interupt at high enough health knowing he can't school lock you for 15 seconds after that. 2s arenas are also very much offense/defense balance between you and your partner, with CC being able to be applied to either target, not just let yourself be forced defensive 100% of the time. I highly recommend avenging crusader also to train yourself to use offensive windows not just let opponents dictate to you.

This may sound stupid but be aware of your own cooldowns and actually use them. If you use blessing of protection(against these warriors for example) you'll have 30 second window of vulnerability with forbearance. Too often cooldowns dont get used because you're saving them not wanting to get caught out. Be willing to get caught out just be aware of what the timing windows are between CCs and recovery tools.
    All solid tips, thanks.

I do probably overthink the juking a bit, where I could just eat the interrupt instead.

As for tracking abilities, I do, I'm probably a bit to focused on pressing the right buttons though, since I've only had one evening of paladin pvp, so that steals a bit much of my focus atm.. I could probably set up my omnibar and TMW:s better as well.

Regarding offensive vs defensive I got a pretty good idea of how it is supposed to work, I still need to learn in which situations I safely can push in for dps though, had a few games where I probably should have waited instead of going in etc.

Holy Paladins have always been about using cooldowns correctly, I haven't really played it since mop though, but that bit does feel somewhat natural to me. Still, had games where I noticed I should have used my cooldowns in another way. Good example being blasting both trinket and divine protection vs a kidney shot without Vendetta, when I knew Vendetta was ready..

Thanks for the input!

Any suggestions as to what pvp talents to run vs a warrior/healer comp? I tend to stay with ultimate sacrifice, blessed hands and light's grace, which I ran vs pretty much everything except Assa rogues (pure of heart) or double melee dps (Divine Favor, unsure of the name, the interrupt immunity for one spell).

Or other talents worth picking, repentance is great in 2s obviously, but less useful against warriors due to berserker rage.. Do you tend to run blinding light or the cd reduction on stun instead vs warriors?

Im having problem with these pesky mages, their mobility and cc, against warriors you just cc them and run while healing your friend
    Zul'Jin died for our sins.
    --
    My Loa are smiling at me infidel. can you say the same?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonazak View Post
    Im having problem with these pesky mages, their mobility and cc, against warriors you just cc them and run while healing your friend
    Mages poses less of a threat to me since I've played one myself.. Requires the traditional pillar game though, and more thought on when to go aggressive.

Still, "against warriors you just cc", depending on what partner you're playing with, the only CC you might have available is HoJ and Blinding Light/half repents, since they can zerker rage every full duration repentance