Thread: Demo changes

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Demo changes

Seeing some more changes to demo, better nether portal, demonic tyrant, pets do more dmg. Anyone else gonna switch in 8.1 I know I am im sick off the current afflic. Too much of a chore to be enjoyable nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Re4leader1 View Post
    pets do more dmg
    According to the blue post, pet energy gain is currently double dipping from Warlock haste, which has been fixed on the PTR. To make up for the damage loss, they increased pet damage. So unless I'm missing something, there should be relatively no change in pet damage.
    Last edited by UnknownSoldier; 2018-11-09 at 08:38 PM.

I want to change; but so far these changes...I'm not sure they are enough. We'll see I guess. I'm hoping for a few more buffs and mechanical changes to help with movement and quick target swapping. I'd like to see Dreadstalkers, Tyrant, and Nether Portal instant. And it'd be nice if during NP/Tyrant the cast time of shadowbolt/hand of gul'dan was reduced in half or something in some way to help more with mobility is what i'm after, however they do it. Maybe demonic calling being buffed from 20% chance to 25 or 30%. Or make it give an instant to the next 3 shadowbolts or something.

But ya I'm looking for a bit more before I switch.
    Last edited by Liarparadox; 2018-11-09 at 09:56 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Said in the news thread.
    Keeping the void alive is a pain in the arse since BFA.
    its been fine for years, But it seems health funnel being used as much as other spells.
    Felt for a while there cant be anyone on the dev team who's main is a lock
    or these issues would be as clear as day.

These changes don't make demo anymore fun or versatile, I feel like as it is people will only swap if the damage is better than the other specs. I realize demo is supposed to be a turret single target spec, but affliction really seems to do that better already.

Has anyone had a chance to play with these changes? I wonder how much they had to be tuned to be able to compete with SS after the buffs to shadow bolt and DB

Maybe it’s me but the RNG on DC always screwed me in the arse. Half the time I hard cast it anyhow. A charge system or just freaking make them as the proc being up?! They have a cooldown FFS. It’s not like the proc can reset the cooldown...

Doom needs to just go, an imp swarm is a missing skill we could use back that can be imploded or just ST gain. Demo needs to be the ST and cleave spec. Nobody likes doom. It is not a fun skill. Nobody in the world looks forward to playing it. So why do you keep forcing that shit sammich down our gullet? How many lost subscribers does it take before FUN enters the design equation?

Bilescourge needs a mechanic to make it fun...a vortex, a passive lingering AoE on HoG but that is boring, snare with a duration and cooldown keep something always 50% snared? Locks have wanted that for years!

Basically any summons should be instant. VF, talented DC, and Tyrant all should be.

Nether Portal is still a collection of every unfavorable mechanic ever visited on warlocks. There is no way to make that good or fun. Just complexity of hassle we can hope to turn out balanced under patchwerk circumstances. Why not just a pit lord or 3x doomguards? Or a portal that summons them. Not early emerald nightmare affliction effigy demon summoning totem lol... The existing portal that spits out a trio of doomguards would be great and work by tomorrow morning.

Oh and HoG should hit harder, maybe 25% harder per additional shard up to 3x shards, without the STS bonus...which is another terrible skill. Have it work on everything to give demo it’s quasi nuker feel or lose it and let demo be a proper summoner. A cooler option would be an inquisitor who might give the pets a small crit buff and the lock a spirit walkers grace/KJC effect for 8-10 seconds.

Maybe try soul strike with a couple charges? That gives a bigger buffer for movement but really doesn’t change overall dps.

Looking forward to testing out the Bataclysm buff.

Demo will never be competitive in higher keys without an interrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by nToxik View Post
    Locks have needed “call fellhunter” as an interrupt baseline PVE skill for a long time now. Really why is the utility we bring always at such a deficit or mechanical cost? At least give axe toss a 24 second cooldown and instant interrupt...especially to stun immune targets. It’s a band aid but really call FH should have been a baseline spell last expac. No excuse this go round. It’s not homogenization when everyone else has a crucial tool except you...that is called piss poor development work and community interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by nToxik View Post
    We have an AOE stun on a 1 minute CD (which can be reduced to 45 seconds with a talent) - as well as a Pet stun - as well as another stun on a 2 minute cooldown.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    These changes don't make demo anymore fun or versatile, I feel like as it is people will only swap if the damage is better than the other specs. I realize demo is supposed to be a turret single target spec, but affliction really seems to do that better already.
    Are you sure you didn't get this upside down? Demonology is pretty much a strong AOE spec with Affliction being mostly single target.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Re4leader1 View Post
    Seeing some more changes to demo, better nether portal, demonic tyrant, pets do more dmg. Anyone else gonna switch in 8.1 I know I am im sick off the current afflic. Too much of a chore to be enjoyable nowadays
    I am already quite enjoying Demonology after the recent buffs

Quote Originally Posted by Taenaeris View Post
    We have an AOE stun on a 1 minute CD (which can be reduced to 45 seconds with a talent) - as well as a Pet stun - as well as another stun on a 2 minute cooldown.
    If you think that's acceptable for interrupt, then you obviously just don't play the same game I do. Until they make the mobs only need interrupting once every minute, and stop making most of them stun immune it will never be adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaWarlock View Post
    If you think that's acceptable for interrupt, then you obviously just don't play the same game I do. Until they make the mobs only need interrupting once every minute, and stop making most of them stun immune it will never be adequate.
    I did not in any way compare our stuns to interrupts - I merely pointed out the fantastic utility that we have in the form of:

And in addition to these we also bring a Battle-Res - with the very unique trait of being able to "pre-cast" it on other people - some teleports that the entire group can use, Healthstones, an ability to summon people, ...

Now please explain to me

1. How many stuns per minute do we have on average?
    2. How often would we typically need to use any of these in a M+ 15+ group's stun/interrupt rotation?
    3. Which other classes have an AOE stun or AOE interrupt and what are their cooldowns?

But in the end, what it comes down to is whether or not all classes should be more or less the same or whether we should have some more 'diversity' (as much as I hate this word) of unique skills and abilities.

There are certainly scenarios where you may want to have more interrupts (and not stuns) - I merely pointed out the unique utility (in form of stuns and others) that we do have.

Add to this our ability to automatically passively cleave stacked targets plus fast target switching and high AOE damage, then I don't think we're lacking in any way just because we don't have an interrupt.

Of course, I am very biased in this because I am a strong advocate of this philosophy of making classes and specs unique.

And in addition to these we also bring a Battle-Res - with the very unique trait of being able to "pre-cast" it on other people - some teleports that the entire group can use, Healthstones, an ability to summon people, ...
    The pre-cast is almost irrelevant. Unless you're psychic it's almost never an advantage. Not that battle-rez isn't good utility now that all of them have a cast time, but it's hardly better than the other classes.

Portals are meh - they're either game breaking, or else irrelevant, depending on the encounter. I'd rather they just got rid of them.
    Healthstones are finally not grossly inferior to pots, so at least that's a win.
    Summons are only convenient for other lazy people, so couldn't give a shit about having them.

3. Which other classes have an AOE stun or AOE interrupt and what are their cooldowns?
    Dunno, but considering the amount of times my shadowfury is on DR by the time the cast time goes off, I imagine the answer is "lots of them" and "shorter than mine".

Either way, I'm not arguing shadowfury isn't good (it needs to be instant cast though). But as much as I despise homogenization, every class SHOULD have a standard interrupt. It just makes sense. Of course, we should get a disarm too, but that might hurt our melee overlords enjoyment of the game as they sit on us while we're helpless, so that won't happen.

I also wouldn't mind CoE/CoS back too, but apparently getting their unique buffs back are for other more special classes.

Imo, the only change that demon needs to be competitive in m+ is that axe toss also applies a interrupt if the target is inmune to stun.

Right now, all 3 specs are good for m+, demo excells on aoe and affly on 1 target nuke on trash packs speccially with ID while doing good cleave dmg. What's more, demo is more versatile in terms of dmg thanks to lower cds.

Thel only thing that keeps demo behind is that on certain dungeons that a interrupt is key (such as underoot and shrine).

Also it would be good to have shadowfury instamt, it'd a really good improvement.

Are you sure you didn't get this upside down? Demonology is pretty much a strong AOE spec with Affliction being mostly single target.

- - - Updated - - -

I am already quite enjoying Demonology after the recent buffs
    Blizzard has stated multiple times demo is a turret single target spec, I realize what it and affliction is in actuality... hence the "supposed" to be.

Deleted
    I just want a big 10 minute CD where you channel open a portal and a Pit Lord appears anbd glaive blasts the boss for a few seconds.

Deleted
    Anyone here getting happy about the Demo changes don't understand what issues Demo have.

Don't get excited, our class designers still have 0 idea of what they are doing.

Already demolock and love it. Could fix downtime on lot of heavy movement fights if your dont have procs your dps gonna suffer.