Deleted

Question CPU and GPU questions - what is more important?

Taking 8th gen i5 and 7th gen i7, what is better to WoW? Also, do you really need an i7 for WoW (7th gen) or will even a 7th gen i5 will do?

I am talking average gaming experience and laptop.

Then, GPU - am I right to understand that you need at least an Nvidia 1000 series (1050) to play comfortably? Then - what is more important, CPU or GPU for WoW?

Finally, any news on Nvidia 2000 series coming for laptops? Heard about the beginning of the next year. Currently, I have a budget of 750-1000 Euros and looking for a laptop - am I better off to wait (currently waiting for Black Friday - 1 week), either to get 2000 series (will it fit in the budget) or get 1000 series at a lower price (or will the price will not go down much higher than on Black Friday/Christmas sales?)?

I am on a 9 year break from WoW and looking to jump when 8.1 hits, to get the lower experience requirements.

10+ Year Old Account
    i5 will be more than enough.
    I have a gtx 970 and it is doing really well in WoW.
    Get one with an i5 and a gtx 1060 or higher and you will be golden.
    I would not go for an RTX for WoW since price to performance is really bad compared to GTX.
    MSI GTX 970 - MSI Z170A Gaming M7 - Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz - 32GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz - 500GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO - 1TB WD HDD

GPU is more important, but WoW don't really need a POWERFULL GPU/CPU. I still use 7 y.o. laptop with GTX 485M and it is ok still. If you want to buy a laptop, you better check how good is a cooling system. You don't want overheating.

If you are just worrying about WoW than i5 is great. Video card isn't massively important but I always recommend getting the newest generation. Although right now you are kind of in this period where a lot of 1000 generations are on the shelves with the 2000s hitting. So you might be able to find a deal. But just be aware a lot of places won't give you that great of a deal. If you are dropping 20 bucks extra to go from a 1070 to a 2070 (I have seen it) then why not just do it. So lesson is just shop around with video cards heavily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    If you are dropping 20 bucks extra to go from a 1070 to a 2070 (I have seen it) then why not just do it.
    from what I have seen you have to pay about 100-150 more to go from 1070 to 2070, you can get a brand new 1080 for less than a 2070 and get about the same performance.
    So I would still aim for a GTX 10-series since wow dont use ray-tracing anyway, and that is kind of what you pay for with the RTX cards.
    MSI GTX 970 - MSI Z170A Gaming M7 - Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz - 32GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz - 500GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO - 1TB WD HDD

If you are just worrying about WoW than i5 is great. Video card isn't massively important but I always recommend getting the newest generation. Although right now you are kind of in this period where a lot of 1000 generations are on the shelves with the 2000s hitting. So you might be able to find a deal. But just be aware a lot of places won't give you that great of a deal. If you are dropping 20 bucks extra to go from a 1070 to a 2070 (I have seen it) then why not just do it. So lesson is just shop around with video cards heavily.

He was talking bout a laptop so dedicated gpu's won't help him much .
    @OP since you're already waiting for black friday(some stores and e-stores have already starting cutting prices on some products) you can also keep an eye out for ryzen laptop since they're usually a bit to quite a bit cheaper than than their intel counterparts. Since you're max budget is 1k it's a gonna be a pretty tight fit for a decent gaming laptop. For ex you can keep an eye out for smth like https://www.amazon.com/Gaming-FreeSy...077GBJCNC(just linking for specs not this model necessarily) and if you can snag it with a 33% price reduction that your 1k right there. 1 thing to note is usually intel cpus are a bit better for wow performance at 1080p but you'll also be paying more. This one that i linked has a 580 4gb in it so that's quite a lot better than a 1050 or a 1050ti. just depends on what you manage to snag. Find a few sites you wanna buy from and check em a couple of times a day or alternatively if you know laptop models you want put em on a watchlist and see if any of em drop to your price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowater View Post
    from what I have seen you have to pay about 100-150 more to go from 1070 to 2070, you can get a brand new 1080 for less than a 2070 and get about the same performance.
    So I would still aim for a GTX 10-series since wow dont use ray-tracing anyway, and that is kind of what you pay for with the RTX cards.
    I have seen different? Got a point?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have seen different? Got a point?
    Then it must have been a really overpriced 1070 and would have been the price of a 1080 so that one shouldn't have been bought anyway.
    Just because you have seen it doesn't mean that 2070 was a great price, just that 1070 was at a really bad price.
    RTX 2070 just launched, you aren't gonna find crazy deals on it, atleast not until the GTX cards are gone.
    Ofc, if you somehow find a 2070 with 30% off, go for it, but that would tell me that there is something wrong with it.
    GTX cards are right now better in terms of price to performance.
    1080=2070 1080ti=2080 in performance, but the RTX are more expensive than GTX. And since he is on a budget going for a card that is more expensive but doesn't generate any performance increase is not the right choice.

Feel free to show me a 2070 that is only 20 bucks over a 1070.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowater View Post
    Then it must have been a really overpriced 1070 and would have been the price of a 1080 so that one shouldn't have been bought anyway.
    Just because you have seen it doesn't mean that 2070 was a great price, just that 1070 was at a really bad price.
    RTX 2070 just launched, you aren't gonna find crazy deals on it, atleast not until the GTX cards are gone.
    Ofc, if you somehow find a 2070 with 30% off, go for it, but that would tell me that there is something wrong with it.
    GTX cards are right now better in terms of price to performance.
    1080=2070 1080ti=2080 in performance, but the RTX are more expensive than GTX. And since he is on a budget going for a card that is more expensive but doesn't generate any performance increase is not the right choice.

Feel free to show me a 2070 that is only 20 bucks over a 1070.
    Really it was a cheap 2070. Got that wrong too.

i7 will be more than enough. I would not go for an RTX for WoW since price to performance is really bad compared to GTX.
    It's good for going

10+ Year Old Account
    Really it was a cheap 2070. Got that wrong too.
    Alright, show us.
    You saying I am wrong doesn't make you right.

Had you said 1070Ti instead of 1070 then I would not question you, because they are close to the same price.
    But a 1070 is a lot cheaper than both the 1070ti and 2070.

Nvidia 2000 series is trash, its the best example of a skip generation ever made.
    "hey look at our new technology, no games use it yet, we ignored everything else to make these so we didn't improve base speed of the devices much, please pay us double the amount of money per ounce of performance for this new generation!"

Build your PC with a really good CPU, down the line you can upgrade your GPU at a moments whim, replacing a CPU, especially intel? Thats called building a entire new computer, if your like me you probably don't have the cash to do that every few years.
    Im about to upgrade from a ivy bridge @ ddr3 pc to a coffee lake & ddr4 pc, i doubt i will upgrade again until ddr5 has been around a little while.