Page 1 of 23
... LastLast
    Deleted

Is WoW dying.. or are Mmorpgs dying ?

Just a thought,

Not a day passes without its new post on how and why WoW is "dying", and it has been like that basicaly forever : each extension was said to be the last, game going downhill, etc etc.

But when you look around, just how many other MMOrpg can you see that are faring well ?
    Tera, Aion, Age of Conan, all those so-called "Wow-killer" have disappeared.
    SWTOR, Rift, Wildstar... are slowly following.

My point is : isn't the genre itself dying ? And considering that, isn't WoW doing reasonnably well ?

wow has been daying since the day it released. By developer decision or tastes of the new generation of kids vs the old is irrelevant. The game is 15 years old, it could be the best thing since sliced bread and its not going to hold everyones attention that long.

mmorpgs litereally only need a few tens of thousands of subscribers to stay profitable, so id imagine wow will carry on for more time than youll want to keep playing it. (unfortunately for the industry imo)

and no, the genre isnt dying. its healthier now than its ever been in the regards which your referring to (i assume).

I think it's more that gaming and gamers have changed than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepanda View Post
    My point is : isn't the genre itself dying ? And considering that, isn't WoW doing reasonnably well ?
    Wow has been shit for years but it is still the better option of those you mentioned. I think for MMORPG to shine is to make content that suits it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Negativity gets a lot more attention than positivity, just look at everyday news. "Everything is fucked, and here's the weather forecast".

People have been saying wow is dying ever since vanilla. And every new xpac would be the death of wow, and every other mmo would kill off wow.
    Yet here we are, almost turning 15 years old. I personally don't think the genre is dying.

There's a difference in people not liking the game and crying lightning vs Blizzard shutting down servers one by one on a steady pace because the genre is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by klepp0906 View Post
    and no, the genre isnt dying. its healthier now than its ever been in the regards which your referring to (i assume).
    That's very untrue.
    MMORPGs aren't doing as well as they used to.

Is the genre dead? nah.
    Is it continuously declining? yes.

What do you know, another new account telling everyone how WoW is dying. Who do you work for?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDestinatus View Post
    What do you know, another new account telling everyone how WoW is dying. Who do you work for?
    tbf his account is over 2 years older than yours

He joined this site 2 years earlier then you did

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutri View Post
    Negativity gets a lot more attention than positivity, just look at everyday news. "Everything is fucked, and here's the weather forecast".

People have been saying wow is dying ever since vanilla. And every new xpac would be the death of wow, and every other mmo would kill off wow.
    Yet here we are, almost turning 15 years old. I personally don't think the genre is dying.

There's a difference in people not liking the game and crying lightning vs Blizzard shutting down servers one by one on a steady pace because the genre is dead.
    While I agree with you, it's also true that Wow has lost a lot of subs since its peak in WotLK (I think it was 11M user or something). And there is next to little serious competion out there.

Deleted

Thumbs down

I mean his account is 5 years old with 25 posts how does that make him new?

Deleted
    Learn to read better

I'm not saying Wow is dying, just that considering that the MMO genre is (I think) less an less popular, it is doing very well, especially next to it's competitors.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I agree with you, it's also true that Wow has lost a lot of subs since its peak in WotLK (I think it was 11M user or something). And there is next to little serious competion out there.
    But how good of a measurement is pointing out a peak. What goes up must come down. WotlK was a huge spike because the game got a lot of buzz around that time. It's only natural to see a decline after that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mobile MMOs appear to be thriving

MMORPGs aren't dying. They're dead. They were a stepping stone to an always online future, and carried some neat ideas along, but there are no MMORPGs on an upward trajectory. As a gaming idea, they're just not interesting enough. People want agency, and they can't have it if everyone around them also has it. We run around in WoW and do things for NPCs, but have no real effect on the world. Those that have tried it just shift between world states whether you're online or not.

Deleted
    give it a few years and it will be World of Warcraft - VR - now that will be immense, ( if they get it right )

Just a thought,

Not a day passes without its new post on how and why WoW is "dying", and it has been like that basicaly forever : each extension was said to be the last, game going downhill, etc etc.

But when you look around, just how many other MMOrpg can you see that are faring well ?
    Tera, Aion, Age of Conan, all those so-called "Wow-killer" have disappeared.
    SWTOR, Rift, Wildstar... are slowly following.

Shitty exploitative business models are failing. The genre itself would be fine if it wasn't constantly having the design of the actual game bent and twisted to fit the vision of investors and CEOs who are completely divorced from anything and everything that makes a game good.

mmorpgs have been being dead since 2010~, when mobas buried em

The genre has declined imho because of WoWs massive success. You mostly see WoW clones now because everyone is trying to capitalize on that market. Very few companies are willing to risk innovation when they can "make it like WoW" and go after the large playerbase.

That and the rise of and desire to profit off of e-sports (which I personally think is cancerous). But mostly I think it's that everyone tries to copy the WoW formula.
    Last edited by Nobleshield; 2018-11-13 at 11:31 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't it just because that so many games are released now a days? I would think that it's impossible to expect people to keep playing the same game when so much good new stuff is out every year! :3