Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Physical Copies of First Three Expansions?

I have been tossing out a bunch of crap from my house lately and ran across the box with my physical (not collectors edition) copies of WoW up to and including WotLK (don't remember if Cata was first expansion to be digital download).

I hate throwing these out even though they hold absolutely no value other than nostalgia. And they are basically useless in terms of reinstalling the game.

But, if it came down to it, I really don't need them taking up space.

I should hold onto the battle chests for StarCraft 1 and Diablo 2 since I don't see a digital way to get those back.

Anybody else hanging onto their physical copies just because?

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Instead of throwing them out, send them to me!

I do still have my physical Collector's Editions that I've gathered in various boxes. I don't mind holding onto them myself. Maybe in ten years I'll reconsider. /shrug

I have physical copy of every expansion and I dont use discs to install either. Its the only one game where I really want to have physical boxes and I dont even know why. Maybe because of some nostalgia, not sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got physical copies of everything up to and including mop lying around somewhere. Still used the mousepad from the cata one up until last year when it started peeling.
    More impressively I've got my original warcraft 3 discs, diablo 2 discs, and diablo 1 somewhere in a cd binder. Genuinely not even sure why I keep them tbh.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    *looks down next to desk*

Cata, Wrath, BC, and Vanilla. Check.

Stopped buying physical after that because I stopped being a kid and got my own debit card.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I have early copies of my original WoW boxed games. I'm keeping them.

If you acquire a large amount of stuff, have a yard sale. I bet those old boxes would fetch a few dollars each. Ask $5, but accept $2 later in the day, etc.

Lately I've moved around a lot so if I don't need a physical form of something then I'm very inclined to get rid of it quickly. I think I got rid of my old copies of WoW stuff 5 years ago

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Got Collector's Editions of everything from WotLK onwards, as I started in TBC so I only have the Battle Chest for that. I have them split over two shelves in a cabinet as well as Reaper of Souls CE which I don't think I've ever actually played because I can only get four on each shelf
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Still got original boxes and also cataclysm collectors edition. Mouse mat from that is pretty much dead in the cupboard somewhere due to overuse and outdated.....and far to small.
    Keeping hold of them along with all my original other stuff like first cod editions and even way back than that before pc's where a thing. Shit when i think about it i have some old school shit int he loft way back when spectrum's were popular. Showing my age now.

You can bind the CD keys to your Blizzard account it works kind of like your World of Warcraft account licences. I did this with my copy of Diablo 2 and the expansion Lord of Destruction, I can re-download the clients and also access the CD-keys in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by Birefringence View Post
    You can bind the CD keys to your Blizzard account it works kind of like your World of Warcraft account licences. I did this with my copy of Diablo 2 and the expansion Lord of Destruction, I can re-download the clients and also access the CD-keys in one place.
    That, I didn't know. Thanks, will have to look into that

I have like 28 CDs i can throw at you.

Tie your keys to your bnet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I should have 3 first ones lying somewhere.

You can actually sell the boxes on ebay for a non-trivial amount if they're not too worn out. Saw some auctions going for like 20 dollars total of the first 3 xpacs. Of course if you have the cardboard from the CE they're going for a lot because people like to pretend they bought them I guess lol. Saw a Cata cardboard box for like 50, lol.

I got every Collector's Edition of all of Blizzard's games since WotLK.

That streak might stop as I just can't stand the Blizzard of today, nonetheless I will still keep the CE that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    I have been tossing out a bunch of crap from my house lately and ran across the box with my physical (not collectors edition) copies of WoW up to and including WotLK (don't remember if Cata was first expansion to be digital download).

I hate throwing these out even though they hold absolutely no value other than nostalgia. And they are basically useless in terms of reinstalling the game.

I should hold onto the battle chests for StarCraft 1 and Diablo 2 since I don't see a digital way to get those back.

Yeah, I still have all of them up to MoP.

The original manual now serves to prop up my WiFi router on one side to mitigate overheating, but I can't actually toss them out.

Deleted
    I recently sold almost everything I have. Stuff like that, that is just taking up space with no practical value, had to go.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    I still have all of my boxes and everything that came with them. They're not Collector's Editions, but all of them are in pretty good condition.

One of my Classic WoW CDs has a bad scratch on it and doesn't work. I remember having to borrow my friend's CD (whichever number CD it was) and burn a copy of just that one in order to install the game when I got my newer PC. I kept the original scratched disc just to keep the set complete, but my Classic WoW box also has one CD-R with a very poorly drawn Ironforge crest on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have them all in a piled at the bottom of a cupboard somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post

I have a drawer in my parents house with nothing but the first 4 boxes (vanilla to cata) , they fit there perfectly so I just keep them.