Thread: Blocking Videos

Blocking Videos

I'm trying to learn how to block videos from youtube. If I search for WoW in google, one of the queries it brings up are videos by some guy called Asmongold. Videos of him keep showing up on youtube even though I'm not searching for this person. His thumbnails are usually him making some stupid face and I even tried watching a couple videos and they were f***ing stupid. How can I get this person to stop showing up in my feeds/queries?

Thank you

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Closest thing I'm aware of - https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/sick-o...ou-need-to-do/

Basically, it will have to clear out your search and watch history. AI algorithms are still very much in their infancy, so if you search for anything related to WoW, you'll get pointed to popular WoW videos such as Asmongold. So this method probably won't do much for you (at least not for very long) if you are watching WoW videos.

The algorithm isn't smart enough to differentiate much beyond high level concepts in your tastes. If you watch a couple of videos about, for example, real history of Egyptian pyramids, be prepared to get a bunch of garbage videos about aliens building pyramids because, to the Youtube algorithm, its all pretty much the same.

Ok thank you, I will give that a try. I can understand various videos of things related showing up because of your search but stupid videos of some geek playing video games, I just don't understand.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    I'm trying to learn how to block videos from youtube. If I search for WoW in google, one of the queries it brings up are videos by some guy called Asmongold. Videos of him keep showing up on youtube even though I'm not searching for this person. His thumbnails are usually him making some stupid face and I even tried watching a couple videos and they were f***ing stupid. How can I get this person to stop showing up in my feeds/queries?

Thank you
    I once tried using a script method I found online that someone said worked in the past, seems it no longer works so I still see that tit on YouTube and Twitch. Most of the time on YT it's some moron who has wet dreams over him and rubs one out over how many views they get on their unofficial tit channel, not even going to say his name.

On a more positive note, I got hold of Twitch support a while ago, asking if there was a way to block his channel so it doesn't appear anywhere on Twitch for me. Sadly it's not a feature they have yet, BUT, they said it was something they have been asked a lot for and might implement it in the future.

So at least I won't have to look at that prick on Twitch

Deleted

Thank you
    Hahaha, just 1-2 days ago I was thinking the same thing. His videos ALWAYS have thumbnails of his surprised look that looks fake as.

The problem I saw was they they were rarely posted by him (the ones in my recommendations) so there was no point blocking his channel.

My kid watches Twitch, I don't. Who is he and why are his shit videos all over?

Just wait, when Article 13 goes live as is most of YouTube will be blocked if you are in the UK.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

I'm from the US. What is Article 13?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm from the US. What is Article 13?
    an EU law that looks to pass, that makes the website liable for any copyright infringing material on it, rather than the uploader.
    So if I upload something copyrighted, like music, to Youtube, Youtube now has to pay the license fee for something I did.

OT: If you're searching on Google you can add "-site:youtube.com" after your searches, and it won't show anything from Youtube.com

That's weird... That's like blaming my city for me bringing drugs into it.

Deleted
    That's weird... That's like blaming my city for me bringing drugs into it.
    To be fair it's actually more like blaming the city for making the meth lab and materials available to you to make the drugs but then raising their hands and saying there is nothing they can do about it and they have no blame in the matter.

Youtube *could* have better methods of dealing with copyright infringement in place to keep the big companies happy but they sat on their cushy number a little too long, now this change is potentially coming and if it does then we still lose out as they start over-compensating with the content being blocked/culled.

Still a shame. Everything cool on the internet at some point gets nerfed.

Still a shame. Everything cool on the internet at some point gets nerfed.
    You should of seen the internet a mere 10 years ago.

What a wonderful Wild West it was.

The natural cycle of capitalism fucked it in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    To be fair it's actually more like blaming the city for making the meth lab and materials available to you to make the drugs but then raising their hands and saying there is nothing they can do about it and they have no blame in the matter.

Youtube *could* have better methods of dealing with copyright infringement in place to keep the big companies happy but they sat on their cushy number a little too long, now this change is potentially coming and if it does then we still lose out as they start over-compensating with the content being blocked/culled.
    If you want to make that analogy it's more like they have a state of the art laboratory that is open for anyone without a background check and people get banned after they get caught making the meth.

But if we are real here, how do you suggest Youtube would've done any better. There isn't really any way to pre-screen video content without having someone watch every video before it gets uploaded. They already gave companies way more power than they deserved as the companies could flag any video on youtube even if it didn't have their copyrighted content in it. And there is no punishment for a false flagging, it's on the content creator to prove they didn't break the copyright.

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    You should of seen the internet a mere 10 years ago.

What a wonderful Wild West it was.

The natural cycle of capitalism fucked it in the ass.
    I was there. I've been around since the 90s on the internet. Back in the days when Napster was around, people actually used chat rooms and "You've Got Mail" was a thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    There isn't really any way to pre-screen video content without having someone watch every video before it gets uploaded.
    This highlights the problem perfectly. If the only way to do it is to have someone watch every video then that IS the solution. For some reason many seem to feel that if the solution is too hard then it is justification for not having a solution at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    This highlights the problem perfectly. If the only way to do it is to have someone watch every video then that IS the solution. For some reason many seem to feel that if the solution is too hard then it is justification for not having a solution at all.
    It's not too hard, it's too expensive. Hence it would be impossible for a platform like Youtube to exist in it's current form.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    It's not too hard, it's too expensive. Hence it would be impossible for a platform like Youtube to exist in it's current form.
    Poor choice of word "hard" as that is actually what I meant. The point is however that because of that some people seem to think that it is therefore ok not to try as though that is some form of justification for doing it.