Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

AddOns, API and Scripting of Classic WoW

So as we know the whole addon system will be reworked. The question is, in what severity and what will be possible to do with the new system. I understand it's rather early to talk about this because its up in the air.

We know they are using a late Legion client (afaik) for the game, which theoretically means the addons and scripting will be based off that. Do you think they will leave it with Legion (or maybe BFA) capabilities or actually do work on reducing the capabilities of addons/scripting of macros with those clients?

I am asking this as I might have to rework some of the macro scripts and addons I have to Vanilla. For instance, my pet attack/follow 1 click

Code:
    /script if UnitExists("target") then if a==0 then PetAttack(target) a=1 else if UnitExists("pettarget") and UnitIsUnit("target", "pettarget") then PetFollow("Slashdotdash") a=0 else PetAttack(target) end;end; else PetFollow("Slashdotdash") a=0 end;

I find this one extremely useful and important for insane sustainability on my Lock.
    Last edited by Mister K; 2018-11-17 at 10:53 AM.
    -K

So people wanting vanilla WoW because it was so hard and complex, but they still can't live without their 1-click-do-all macros lol

We don't know for sure, but I would assume the API is the same as live

Tha API will be based on 7.3.5 API but will be modfied to add / remove things. They specifically mentioned that they would remove the possibility to create one button macros / addons like you could in Vanilla and that they would remove the possibility to create LFG addons in the way that is possible in retail.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    So people wanting vanilla WoW because it was so hard and complex, but they still can't live without their 1-click-do-all macros lol
    This always amuses me (and is true).

10+ Year Old Account
    There are certain macros which were available during Vanilla, as shown in the OP. Macros like that are QoL, I hate clicking pet attack. Also Vanilla was not hard nor complex but a huge time sink, as explained multiple times on these forums.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zyalo View Post
    This always amuses me (and is true).
    It was available during Vanilla.

As long as I can bind attack/follow (ideally to one mouse click) then np. I am not looking to do a full rotation in 1 button.
    Last edited by Mister K; 2018-11-17 at 01:43 PM.
    -K

yeah because retail is so super leet uber pro hard with your 4-5 button classes and homogenized abilities

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    They specifically mentioned that they would remove the possibility to create one button macros / addons like you could in Vanilla.
    What constitutes "one button macros" though?

I use macros / scripts in vanilla that only perform actions if I have a certain buff active. Like for example, a macro that will check if I have "Redoubt", and if I don't have it, it will /sit, but if I do have it, it will use attack+consecrate instead. Or a macro that checks if I have Seal of Righteousness, and if I don't have it, it will cast that, but if I do have it, it will cast Judgement. Would something like that be considered a "1 button macro" ?

Or my hunter melee damage macro which has /attack and all of the melee abilities together, so I can just use that one macro for any melee ability instead of having them all separately bound. Is that a "1 button macro" ?

It was already answered: modern API with protected functions.
    Garrison Mission Manager: Select best followers for BfA, Legion and WoD missions.
    Instance Spec: Switch to spec suitable for your role when "dungeon ready" pops up.
    LDB: WoW Token: Monitor WoW Token price changes in LDB display.
    Other addons: Quest Map with Details * LFG Filter for Premade Groups * Obvious Mail Expiration.

So things like Details and modern bossmods and probably a more modern threat meter will be available?

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    What constitutes "one button macros" though?

I use macros / scripts in vanilla that only perform actions if I have a certain buff active. Like for example, a macro that will check if I have "Redoubt", and if I don't have it, it will /sit, but if I do have it, it will use attack+consecrate instead. Or a macro that checks if I have Seal of Righteousness, and if I don't have it, it will cast that, but if I do have it, it will cast Judgement. Would something like that be considered a "1 button macro" ?

Or my hunter melee damage macro which has /attack and all of the melee abilities together, so I can just use that one macro for any melee ability instead of having them all separately bound. Is that a "1 button macro" ?
    Yes those macros are considered one button macros. That functionality has been removed from the game because it made choices for you.
    Here is where Ion talks about addons.

Quote Originally Posted by Essem View Post
    So things like Details and modern bossmods and probably a more modern threat meter will be available?
    Yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Essem View Post
    I'm not sure about Omen, they might cut some API like target health or threat information. Sure, addons can do good estimations about that anyway.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Tha API will be based on 7.3.5 API but will be modfied to add / remove things. They specifically mentioned that they would remove the possibility to create one button macros / addons like you could in Vanilla and that they would remove the possibility to create LFG addons in the way that is possible in retail.
    Just hoping they let classic PallyPower and Decursive work. MC is cancer when there's a thousand and one debuffs going out and no Mass Dispel etc.
    Still not tired of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    We know they are using a late Legion client (afaik) for the game, which theoretically means the addons and scripting will be based off that.
    Why do people keep saying this?

They are using the CURRENT CLIENT.

The interview you're incorrectly remembering mentioned that they had the game data up and running in the current client at the time.

They have NEVER said they were going to be using some time-frozen client from Legion for Classic.

The API will be identical to live, with perhaps some further restrictions if they feel it necessary to prevent stuff you couldn't do in Vanilla. (Though i think that will be very little as the API has become more closed over time, not more open).

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    I'm not sure about Omen, they might cut some API like target health or threat information. Sure, addons can do good estimations about that anyway.
    Yeah the Mob Info addon was extremely helpful at obtaining health values back in vanilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    Yeah the Mob Info addon was extremely helpful at obtaining health values back in vanilla
    There's no point hiding mob health because we know exact values anyway. If they end up hiding them, ppl will just make an addon that has hardcoded table with health values.

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    Pretty Sure Omen existed back in vanilla
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hablion View Post
    Pretty Sure Omen existed back in vanilla
    KTM and other threat metres existed, but they couldn't pull threat info from Blizzard, and had to do it themselves.
    Still not tired of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    Just hoping they let classic PallyPower and Decursive work. MC is cancer when there's a thousand and one debuffs going out and no Mass Dispel etc.
    If I remember it right, Decursive was just a clickable raid frame that would show curses, and remove upon a click.
    If any future vanilla raid frame could be tweaked to show curses, a simple mouseover macro could take on the decursive functionality without even the need to click on someone.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

PallyPower was never killed by Blizzard it just became obsolete with removing of blessings. Decursive on the other hand was killed at patch 2.0+

There will not be the addon's that decurse automatically but since it is using modern locked down API it is safe to say that you will see modern raid frames and on click casting based off these raid frames so it will be whack-a-mole decursing.