Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What is the current state of this game?

Yes, I know, I know... probably asked a thousand times, but I missed like 1 or 2 years following this game.
    I never played it, but I always wanted to give it a shot.

So I would like to know what is the current state? Is it worth to start now as a free to play player?
    I'm usually playing a support/healer class in MMOs. Been playing WoW for many years now, but I don't really like where the game is going now, so I'm going to try something new.

Please share you opinions and advices.
    Thanks

"Do I care for the lives of mortals? No. Do you care for the lives of ants that crawls beneath your feet?"

Signature by the awesome Winter Blossom

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrick View Post
    SNIP...

So I would like to know what is the current state? Is it worth to start now as a free to play player?
    This will be a bit of a two folded answer but here goes.

If you have not done the 8 original class stories then do those and you can do them as a F2P player and it's not to bad at all. You are limited in some areas but overall. You can play the best content swtor has to offer for free with limited restrictions.

As long as you keep in mind that biowares F2P is for nothing really but story. If you ever want to do anything end game. Then you will need to pay. If you want a few extra things, pay at least $5. Be a preferred player and get a few minor restrictions removed.

You can also use someones referral code here and get a free week and a few perks if you have not used one in a while.

Beyond the 8 original class stories the rest of the game starts to go downhill and downhill fast. Rise of the Hutt Cartel is decent with a decent story but the area it's in is atrociously designed and just terrible.

Shadows of Revan, the next expansion has 4 of the best flashpoints you can play leading into SoR. Rishi is a decent question area but Yavin 4 isn't all that good. Combine that with a mediocre story and the whole things is just a weak experince with a weak story. Just not that good.

The you get into Knights of the fallen Empire, Knights of the Eteranl throne, Iokath, Traitor Story line and all of it is just weak in about every area. Content and area design. Story is just terrible and so full of holes you'll wonder why you played it at all and the worse thing is IF you decided to play a non-force user (Sumgger, Trooper, Agent, Bounty Hunter) then the story is just garbage.

The game is only worth it IMHO if you have not finished all the 8 original class stories. Beyond that, no not really worth it and being F2P at end game is really not worth it.

I'm usually playing a support/healer class in MMOs. Been playing WoW for many years now, but I don't really like where the game is going now, so I'm going to try something new.
    I main a sage healer and they are strong healers once you get into how they are played. (Much like a priest from WOW from what I remember)

In saying all that, Population is currently down and getting smaller. There just isn't anything to do new at end game thats worth repeating for the rewards. PVP is decent but gets old rather fast because classes are unbalanced.

We are down to two servers (Both on the east coast) because bioware said "Screw you west coast and APAC players - You're expendable. Populations from about 17 servers dropped so low we had to have a server merger. So while that was desperately needed, the sad truth is the population is still struggling. If you want group content you will need to find the prime time of play for your server. I think Star Forge is currently the larger of the two left if you are in NA and not EU.

December is supposed to bring a new patch (5.10) but it's currently looking more like all it's doing is adding in this massive grind for the newest gear (Tier 5) and while that normally sounds great. The grind just doesn't sound fun or entertaining and the datamined story content is a terrible showing of just how non-creative bioware has become when it comes to what used to be their strong area. AKA story telling.

At the moment, other than those 8 class stories. swtor doesn't seem to have a bright future. I've got a lot of time and money invested into the game and that combined with a entertaining guild and enough free cash market coins to make it worth it. Thats why I stay in swtor for now. IT's not because bioware is doing a good job with content or story. Those areas have been downright bad at times.

Deleted
    I just want to say the above poster is full of vitriol. I enjoyed all the expansions and the stories are really enjoyable. His story complaints are very elitist. It is all still far above what WoW offers. Though it is obvious that with a smaller team, you will get less of it.

SWTOR is fun to play, but it's problem has always been that EA/Bioware don't support it enough.
    Last edited by mmoc80be7224cc; 2018-11-21 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    I just want to say the above poster is full of vitriol. I enjoyed all the expansions and the stories are really enjoyable. His story complaints are very elitist. It is all still far above what WoW offers. Though it is obvious that with a smaller team, you will get less of it.

SWTOR is fun to play, but it's problem has always been that EA/Bioware don't support it enough.
    You seem to have confused vitriol with simple honesty. My post was nether cruel nor bitter but my take on the past and current game and far from an elitist POV as if it meant anything.

But hey, if you want to pretend this game is above WOW that's fine but a game that went from 200 servers to 2 U.S with no west coast servers as those players were deemed acceptable losses and 3EU isn't something I'd ever call above wow and that's before I reiterate the mediocrity SWTOR has fallen into. This game hasn't been shrinking because bioware was getting things right. It's suffering from one of the very things gamers know is a maintenance mode move. Massive cash market shop pushes and little content and what content you do get is a massive grind with little reward. That's currently SWTOR. I can't currently call it above wow. Can still be entertaining in some limited areas but it's not above much of anything.

SWTOR can be fun but I won't pretend bioware is doing a good job when as you say. Even EA and bioware dont support it.

The worst part is they haven't for years now.
    Last edited by quras; 2018-11-22 at 02:58 AM.

The graphics engine is miserable. Extremely laggy when others are around, big frame drops, even on a high end machine.

You can "fix" this issue by turning off nametags .. but nametags are fairly standard in MMORPG's... so you need to gimp the game in order to improve it. Times were apparently very bad during the Old Republic era.

SWTOR doesn't follow Star Wars canon either. The stuff EA puts in the cash shop is ridiculous. It's all more silly nowadays than it is serious. A shitshow, EA style. Whatever brings in the money I guess. Not my money - someone elses.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    You seem to have confused vitriol with simple honesty. My post was nether cruel nor bitter but my take on the past and current game and far from an elitist POV as if it meant anything.

But hey, if you want to pretend this game is above WOW that's fine but a game that went from 200 servers to 2 U.S with no west coast servers as those players were deemed acceptable losses and 3EU isn't something I'd ever call above wow and that's before I reiterate the mediocrity SWTOR has fallen into. This game hasn't been shrinking because bioware was getting things right. It's suffering from one of the very things gamers know is a maintenance mode move. Massive cash market shop pushes and little content and what content you do get is a massive grind with little reward. That's currently SWTOR. I can't currently call it above wow. Can still be entertaining in some limited areas but it's not above much of anything.

SWTOR can be fun but I won't pretend bioware is doing a good job when as you say. Even EA and bioware dont support it.

The worst part is they haven't for years now.
    You got so much vitriol you can't even read right. SWTOR storytelling is better than WoW's. That is what I said and I stand by it. I never said it was a better mmo.

How would that even make sense after I said it's not supported enough by EA/Bioware?
    Last edited by mmoc80be7224cc; 2018-11-22 at 09:27 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Disappointing. Had an urge to revisit the swtor universe where I did most content and spend literal thousands of euro's on transmogcrates and the game just said.. nope! The installation finished without problems but after I clicked start the game was displayed in a window and after setting it on fullscreen it just refused to show the game in 4k when I changhed resolution. After trying a few times it froze my computer. Meh

"HE DOESN'T LIKE WHAT I LIKE SO VITRIOL AND HE IS TROLLING!"

Not really, the dude you accused of vitriolic posting is really all that vitriolic, if at all. An honest assessment (IE OPINION) was offered. As far as I am concerned, he is spot on. The class stories (Especially Imperial Agent) are some of the best told in any MMO.

Outside of this, SWTOR isn't all that good.

If you don't mind the Download time, don't mind the F2P restrictions, and aren't going to pay a sub, in can be a fun way to kill a couple of hours.

You got so much vitriol you can't even read right. SWTOR storytelling is better than WoW's. That is what I said and I stand by it. I never said it was a better mmo.

How would that even make sense after I said it's not supported enough by EA/Bioware?
    Did you even read his post? He said the 8 original class campaigns were great, and I agree. I didn't even touch WoW levelling my shadow and scoundrel to 50 I was that sucked in. Then I got to level cap, went "now what?" without raiding and came back to WoW.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Did you even read his post? He said the 8 original class campaigns were great, and I agree. I didn't even touch WoW levelling my shadow and scoundrel to 50 I was that sucked in. Then I got to level cap, went "now what?" without raiding and came back to WoW.
    Geez... there is something wrong with this thread or something. I agreed with him on the story department. Actually, i only disagreed when he said that the story was bad after those first 8. Sure, there weren't more personalized stories per class but it was obviously not gonna be possible cause - my other point - EA/Bioware never gave the game the support it needed after release.
    So, i'm in full agreement with him except for saying the story is terrible post the first 8. It is still very good and above what WoW offers. It's just not as personalized as the original stories. It is by no means "bad" though.

Seems like a dead game that you can probably enjoy as if it was an offline game for a month.

Geez... there is something wrong with this thread or something. I agreed with him on the story department. Actually, i only disagreed when he said that the story was bad after those first 8. Sure, there weren't more personalized stories per class but it was obviously not gonna be possible cause - my other point - EA/Bioware never gave the game the support it needed after release.
    So, i'm in full agreement with him except for saying the story is terrible post the first 8. It is still very good and above what WoW offers. It's just not as personalized as the original stories. It is by no means "bad" though.
    Except you didn't just "disagree" but rather aimed at insulting him calling it "elitist" and that he is just being cruel and bitter which is not true and you know it. Now you are backpedaling

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Musik-Diversity86 View Post
    Except you didn't just "disagree" but rather aimed at insulting him calling it "elitist" and that he is just being cruel and bitter which is not true and you know it. Now you are backpedaling
    His description of the story was elitist. He was putting extreme requirements on it to be acceptable and call it terrible. I call that elitism. When it's 100%+ or terrible. You need to try more mmo's if you think that is terrible.

Also, no i didn't aim at insulting him, i aimed at downplaying what was his exaggeration and negativity.

I didn't back peddle anything. I am trying to make it easy for people to understand that there is none of the huge disagreement he allured to cause he misinterpreted what i was saying as referring to the whole game rather than just the story, wich was the only subject i talked about.

If you think you are white knighting anyone, i'm sorry to disappoint, but you and i guess others are just trying to make this out more than what it is. You like drama perhaps? It's not my thing. But, i'm getting tired of this. So, that was the last of it.
    Last edited by mmoc80be7224cc; 2018-11-24 at 12:46 AM.

SNIP... there is none of the huge disagreement he allured to....SNIP..
    Oh we will be disagreeing on that. There are huge disappointments all over swtor once you are done with the original 8 class stories. YMMV but everything from one story for all to being a NON force user in a story written and designed for "force user only".
    Those are just two major disappointments.

There are a whole list of disappointments once you get past the 8 class stories be it poor writing, direction of the game, content areas and so much more. There is no doubt you can find some entertainment in the game but the cons greatly outweigh the pros. Thats why the US has 2 east coast servers only and EU has 3. Down from 200 or so. Thats is nether an exaggeration or a lie but simply the truth.

i guess others are just trying to make this out more than what it is....SNIP
    Nope. The game just simply isn't what it was once it launched and has went downhill in most areas since launch and in parts of the game bioware used to be solid at. That being the story writing area. I mean really. Who the fuck writes 26+ chapters based entirely on being a force user alienating half the player classes into a badly written story made even worse because they happen to be a non force user class?

No one with any sense about them thats for sure.
    Last edited by quras; 2018-11-27 at 02:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    If you’ve never played it then start now. The game’s future is unclear, EA could cancel it or lose their Star Wars licence at any moment.

The class campaigns can be played through completely free of charge and are definitely worth seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    If you’ve never played it then start now. The game’s future is unclear, EA could cancel it or lose their Star Wars licence at any moment.

The class campaigns can be played through completely free of charge and are definitely worth seeing.
    Nonsense. EA signed a 10 year exclusive deal with Disney for the rights in 2013. So barring some gross breach of contract they have it on lockdown until at least mid 2023.

As for SWTOR now, it was definitely struggling in part due to Bioware staff all being pulled to work on Anthem. Apparently they're coming back to work on their respective projects so development should ramp back up a bit. We'll see how it pans out with the return to the imperials vs. republic again.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    SNIP...

As for SWTOR now, it was definitely struggling in part due to Bioware staff all being pulled to work on Anthem. Apparently they're coming back to work on their respective projects so development should ramp back up a bit. We'll see how it pans out with the return to the imperials vs. republic again.
    I heard the same thing about staff returning but with one bit of extra information.

They are not returning in any large capacity till near Anthems release February 2019.
    Last edited by quras; 2018-11-26 at 10:31 PM.

I heard the same thing about staff returning but with one bit of extra information.

They are not returning in any large capacity till near Anthems release February 2019.
    Yeah, I've heard conflicting reports/rumors about whether they're coming back now vs. closer to launch or whether some are coming back now while others will remain until launch.

Either way, I'm just waiting for/hoping 5.10 is going to be a nice excuse to return to the game again, even if only for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    snip...

Either way, I'm just waiting for/hoping 5.10 is going to be a nice excuse to return to the game again, even if only for a bit.
    I take it you have read no data-mined material on the story?

I ask that because the information bioware has gave us on the massive grind of a new reputation and Tier5 gear is kinda of an "MMO no brainer" to hold people over till Februar and not really worth the effort to talk about but the data-mined story to me is either a love it or hate it type of story. I don't see many staying in the in between area.

But I wont spoil it for you if you have no interest in knowing.

I take it you have read no data-mined material on the story?

I ask that because the information bioware has gave us on the massive grind of a new reputation and Tier5 gear is kinda of an "MMO no brainer" to hold people over till Februar and not really worth the effort to talk about but the data-mined story to me is either a love it or hate it type of story. I don't see many staying in the in between area.

But I wont spoil it for you if you have no interest in knowing.
    Nope, I haven't bothered with datamined stuff in ages. I much prefer to go in knowing a bit less and experience stuff fresh. I'll play for the story mainly, and if the added grind is good why not. But I've never really stuck around beyond playing through the story, much like Secret World. Both games have good stories for the most part, but it's their more proper MMO elements that aren't terribly engaging/interesting to me so I drop off pretty quickly.