Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    I agree going with ryzen has better upgradability. But either way the specs were talking about should remain decent for a few years.
    Read. The. Fucking. OP.

He SPECIFICALLY wants a system they can build on.

Buying dead parrs on a dead platform DOES NOT ACCOMPLISH THAT.

Answer the question that was asked, FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    This thread is pretty much why I rarely browse the computer sub-forum now. You get a couple people who actually know what they are talking about only to get buried by a mountain of garbage or toxic posts by amateur case modders and elitists who can't even be assed to read the OPs post.

Me and @Kagthul have had our differences in the past but he's someone folks should definitely listen to.

I strongly recommend exploring the Buildapc sub-reddit.
    2 years ago, this here was a nice place to chat about PC Builds. I dont know whats going on, this thread is a dumsterfire.

At $400 I highly recommed just getting a console, you will get a much better gaming experience and it would cost you half the amount. The rest could then be spent on games.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    At $400 I highly recommed just getting a console, you will get a much better gaming experience and it would cost you half the amount. The rest could then be spent on games.
    Its the new generation of 18-20 year olds with parents money or summer work money, it happens on every forum every 3rd year or so, cause apparently working 2 months or asking daddy to give you 2k for a PC,to play CS:GO on low at 400 FPS, makes you know what you are talking about, while still being Silver Ranked.

Add any game of the period for CS:GO and you get 2018, its fortnite in this case, because apparently spending 2000$ on a PC and managing to finish in top 10 once every 200 games = worth it.

Maybe thats why i stopped posting here also, got bored of people telling someone to buy a NVME for an office PC or a 1080 Ti for League of Legends.

Even so, not even sure why people are even arguing with someone that has established himself as "Not a fucking retard" like Kagthul, we had a couple ups and downs too, but he is one of the few that usually is right.

On what the OP said, 860 EVO 500GB is going around insanely cheap lately cause black friday and generally prices are dropping, we had them for 79e the last month.

To the rest people that have no idea, a Vega 11, which is the 2400G is pretty much close to any ~150$ GPU (More like euros but either way!), 2400G is the best hardware on the market right now for low budget gaming and you can simply throw a GPU on next gear for 250$ and be fine for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    For $400 you probably better off just getting him a console but I know you said you don't want to.
    Ugh consoles... cumbersome, hard to control and you can barely do anything with them... I'll stick to my beefy desktop PC.

15+ Year Old Account
    Its amazing how many uninformed post shit and have no idea what they are talking about.

@OP, the 2400G is fine for what your trying to accomplish. A plus is if he wanted to upgrade his GPU later he can. RX570s and 580s are between $129-199 currently. Im sure they will go down further over the next few months and those are great budget cards for 1080p gaming on any game.

I would clock the psu and spend a little more on a better one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Read. The. Fucking. OP.

He SPECIFICALLY wants a system they can build on.

Buying dead parrs on a dead platform DOES NOT ACCOMPLISH THAT.

Answer the question that was asked, FFS.
    Which parts are or platforms are dead that we're talking about? Intel 300 series chipsets should take another generation or two of processors. Am4 will probably be compatible with another two to three years of processors. So what exactly are you acting like a fool about?

Which parts are or platforms are dead that we're talking about? Intel 300 series chipsets should take another generation or two of processors. Am4 will probably be compatible with another two to three years of processors. So what exactly are you acting like a fool about?
    Its not a dead platform because of the performance, its a dead platform because of the missing features.
    Like USB 3.1 or USB C, M.2 and DDR 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    I have a cool Ferrari, look at the tire I selected for it.

Wut? It needs a car?
    What?

/10chars

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Me and @Kagthul have had our differences in the past but he's someone folks should definitely listen to.
    Is that a troll post?
    He's recommending 4-core nonHT CPU in another thread here to a guy who wants to stream and have a future-proof gaming PC. WTF lol

I mean the guy writes that 4-cores don't bottleneck GPUs while at the same writing that his wife's AC: Oddyssey only occasionally drops into 40s.
    How can you be more hilarious than that?
    Last edited by stevenho; 2018-11-22 at 10:55 PM.

As long as you're building he'll be fine. Just don't get a secondhand unit with an integrated GPU and expect to be able to easily add a GPU down the road (unless you know what you're doing and/or have looked it up beforehand). Secondhand is probably the best bet for immediate best playability. But if you build a rig like what you/others listed now then the learning experience/bonding portion of building it on top of being able to upgrade it later is probably going to get both of you more long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Its not a dead platform because of the performance, its a dead platform because of the missing features.
    Like USB 3.1 or USB C, M.2 and DDR 3.
    Don't think we're talking about the same thing. The g5400/g5600 is Intel 8th gen.

Don't think we're talking about the same thing. The g5400/g5600 is Intel 8th gen.
    Ok i thought you mean some Intel 3000 series CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    Is that a troll post?
    He's recommending 4-core nonHT CPU in another thread here to a guy who wants to stream and have a future-proof gaming PC. WTF lol
    Not only is your reading comprehension dogshit, you’re building strawmen.

I never recommended that he buy anything. In fact, all i said was the people that freak the fuck out over how “quad cores cant handle modern games” are full of shit. And they are. Quad cores will deliver playable performance (well above 60fps to a market who overwhelmingly plays at 1080p/60 OR LOWER) for the forseeable lives of the machines. There are NO games that require more than four cores for playable performance.

I mean the guy writes that 4-cores don't bottleneck GPUs
    More strawmen. Never said that. I said it doesn’t affect performance for people actually building quad core machines. These aren’t people playing at enthusiast levels here, kiddo. Learn to read.

while at the same writing that his wife's AC: Oddyssey only occasionally drops into 40s.
    50s (again, learn to read) in areas where EVERY CPU gutters that low, even 8c/16th, 5.0ghz 9900Ks. Because its in an area where there is so much going on that NO CPU can adequately handle the draw calls. Fuck, do you own stock in a straw company or something? Or do you just get off on being deliberately ignorant?

How can you be more hilarious than that?
    Watching you try to sputter out an argument and only be able to rely on ad-hominem and incessant strawmanning is a lot funnier. Go back to 3rd grade and learn to read?

- - - Updated - - -

There wre people recommending used 3rd and 4th gen parts.

However, a G5400/5600 system might as well be non-upgradeable. You’re invariably going to go low on the MoBo (H310), meaning your upgrade options are all locked CPUs - basically a non-upgrade.

And no, socket 1151 is done after this go. There’s no 2 years of future upgrades. Next step is 10nm, with a new socket.

50s (again, learn to read) in areas where EVERY CPU gutters that low, even 8c/16th, 5.0ghz 9900Ks.
    Dude, you're getting rekt by your own quotes now. Are you drunk or something? Or just don't remember what you wrote yesterday? LOL

My wife's running an i5 6600K @ 4.4ghz and a GTX 1080 and plays Odyssey just fine. Since she's still using a 1080p monitor, she gets well over 80-90fps in most areas. The only times she doesn't is when there is a huge panoramic shot, which, just like in WoW, geometrically increases draw calls, and even then it rarely drops below 50fps.
    "below 50fps" equals "in the 40s" - yeah? You understand? LOL

Anyway, 8+ core/thread CPUs dont dip into 40s in any places on any settings in 1080p that your wife plays.
    You fucked up by trying to argue about the merit of 4 cores in a game that is one of the very few that maxes 4cores out and bottlenecks the GPU.
    Watching you try to wiggle out of that fuckup is both hilarious and sad at the same time.

BTW the drops into 40s you mentioned above are the very reason I upgraded from an i5 to an i7. They were gone after that. Best upgrade of 2018.
    Last edited by stevenho; 2018-11-23 at 12:19 AM.

I never recommended that he buy anything. In fact, all i said was the people that freak the fuck out over how “quad cores cant handle modern games” are full of shit. And they are. Quad cores will deliver playable performance (well above 60fps to a market who overwhelmingly plays at 1080p/60 OR LOWER) for the forseeable lives of the machines. There are NO games that require more than four cores for playable performance.
    Quad cores without hyperthreading are becoming obsolete. i5-7600K in Battlefield V is having a really hard time.
    https://www.techspot.com/review/1754...iplayer-bench/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    Quad cores without hyperthreading are becoming obsolete. i5-7600K in Battlefield V is having a really hard time.
    But it's still pulling playable framerates. Which, if you're buying a lower-end system, is fine. No one expects a lower-end CPU to pull the same kind of FPS as high-end ones. But it will pull playable ones. Which is all he said.

It pulled 84fps average, 1% of 54. That's fine. It's playable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    ... all at stock clocks. Which on the 7600K was 3.8Ghz. You can easily push it to 4.7 or 4.8Ghz without much trouble.

And even then, its still getting an average of 80fps and the dips are only into the high 50s. If you had a G-sync monitor (and if you had an RTX 2080 ... A) why are you pairing it with a quad core CPU in the first place and B) how do you not have a G-sync panel) you wouldnt even notice.

Overlocked, i’d 100% guarantee that itll be over 60fps even on the 1% lows.

And its not like Battlefield is something to crow about. Its optimized like unclean dogs ass. Which is weird because usually the Frostbite engine is a lot better than that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Lmao $400 gaming pc. I spent double that on just my graphics card.
    Wow holy shit, let me just ring the news and tell them what a god of a man you are.