Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Red face I5 8600k or I7 8700k?

Hello,

As the title states what would people recommend to future proof my computer going forward, i plan to get 16GB RAM and a new MOBO, if you would like to recommend a good MOBO id appreciate it! would be running with a GTX1070 on the side.

My plan is for gaming and i occasionally stream for fun.

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azza125 View Post
    Hello,

As the title states what would people recommend to future proof my computer going forward, i plan to get 16GB RAM and a new MOBO, if you would like to recommend a good MOBO id appreciate it! would be running with a GTX1070 on the side.

Many thanks
    If you are going to be streaming even casually, you should go with the I7.

Hello,

Many thanks
    If you will be streaming even casually you will want the I7.

I would not buy anything under 8 cores (physical or HT).
    We finally start seeing games using all cores and bottleneck the GPU hard on 4-core CPUs.
    It is time to go 8 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    I would not buy anything under 8 cores (physical or HT).
    We finally start seeing games using all cores and bottleneck the GPU hard on 4-core CPUs.
    It is time to go 8 or more.
    Well technically the i7 8700k is only 6 cores.
    But intel turned the 9th gen into a bad joke.

I would go with a i7 8700k or a i7 9700k if you want any level of futureproof

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post

I would go with a i7 8700k or a i7 9700k if you want any level of futureproof
    What would you recommend for a MOBO and RAM?

Thank you both for your information

Im a big fan of ASUS so i went with the ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390($290.00). I had the ASRock Z270 KILLER SLI/AC LGA 1151 Intel Z270 ($120.00) before and that was a pretty good MOBO. I would recommend going to Newegg and read the reviews to see what you think.
    Last edited by Malvec; 2018-11-20 at 10:52 PM.

Depends on your budget.
    AsRock Extreme 4 or Asus Z370-A is where the value is at for mid tier, AORUS M5 for upper midrange, AsRock Taichi for the upper tier value. You don't need a $300 board.
    Extreme 4 is probably the best pick.

Could you explain what you mean by this?

Yep, I wrote physical or HT as in anything recent that has 8+ combined is good to go.

Depends on your budget.
    AsRock Extreme 4 or Asus Z370-A is where the value is at for mid tier, AORUS M5 for upper midrange, AsRock Taichi for the upper tier value. You don't need a $300 board.
    Extreme 4 is probably the best pick.
    Some good advice above. It's easy to overpay for stuff you don't need or will not use, it takes a bit more research to buy precisely what you want/need and have a couple hundred bucks free at the end.

You can easily go with a Ryzen 2700x if you play and stream - you're going to have a good experience aswell. Since you stream and if you're going for Intel yes, go with an i7 BUT just because of the streaming part.

I7 are mostly useless given HT is just inexistent for gaming. The 9700k with 8 physical cores is your best bet imho.

All of the above also stands true if you're actually able to snatch one since there's huge shortage of Intel CPUs and prices are inflated. That's why i suggested a Ryzen - comparable performance and incredible price/perfomance ratio.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    You can easily go with a Ryzen 2700x if you play and stream - you're going to have a good experience aswell. Since you stream and if you're going for Intel yes, go with an i7 BUT just because of the streaming part.

I7 are mostly useless given HT is just inexistent for gaming. The 9700k with 8 physical cores is your best bet imho.

All of the above also stands true if you're actually able to snatch one since there's huge shortage of Intel CPUs and prices are inflated. That's why i suggested a Ryzen - comparable performance and incredible price/perfomance ratio.
    Hey man, thank you for your response! is the Ryzen 2700x really as comparable for that money? ive always been Intel just because its all i know.. ive never dived into AMD at all. If you could recommend a MOBO and RAM for that CPU id take a look at it and see what the price is between both setups!

Thanks bud

Hey man, thank you for your response! is the Ryzen 2700x really as comparable for that money? ive always been Intel just because its all i know.. ive never dived into AMD at all. If you could recommend a MOBO and RAM for that CPU id take a look at it and see what the price is between both setups!

Thanks bud
    All stock speeds:

An 8700K i7 is roughly 10% better than a Ryzen 2700x on average.

A 9700K i7 is roughly 15% better than a Ryzen2700x on average.

That Ryzen is nearly equivalent to an i7 8700 - but even that is a couple percentage points better on average.

Up to you, but I haven't bothered using an AMD CPU or GPU in like 10+ years.

Used cpu.userbenchmark.com for these benchmark comparisons.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2018-11-21 at 04:51 PM.

Intel is better for gaming and what i maybe getting next is Intel Core i9-9900K

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    All stock speeds:

An 8700K i7 is roughly 10% better than a Ryzen 2700x on average.

A 9700K i7 is roughly 15% better than a Ryzen2700x on average.

That Ryzen is nearly equivalent to an i7 8700 - but even that is a couple percentage points better on average.

Up to you, but I haven't bothered using an AMD CPU or GPU in like 10+ years.

Used cpu.userbenchmark.com for these benchmark comparisons.
    Yeah see this is my point, everytime i ask about AMD i seem to be persuaded not to, i know the price tag is better than intel but at the same time i usually buy my PC's for longevity rather than every year or 2 im talking every 4. Think im gonna wait for a reply from Coldkil to see if he backs up Ryzen a bit more, but will look deeper into the 8700k.

Alcsaar, what RAM would i go for? if im selecting from one of the boards above suggested.

Thanks

Yeah see this is my point, everytime i ask about AMD i seem to be persuaded not to, i know the price tag is better than intel but at the same time i usually buy my PC's for longevity rather than every year or 2 im talking every 4. Think im gonna wait for a reply from Coldkil to see if he backs up Ryzen a bit more, but will look deeper into the 8700k.

Alcsaar, what RAM would i go for? if im selecting from one of the boards above suggested.

Thanks
    AMDs are a lower price specifically because they're for a lower budget, and you get what you pay for. If you want longevity, an Intel is probably better just because it will be slightly more future proofed. The question is, will you really notice the difference? Hard to say.

I build my PCS with the plan that I don't upgrade the parts for at least 2 years, so I always go Intel. I only just replaced my 970 GTX last week with an RTX 2070. That was a big upgrade, much more impactful than spending $500 a couple years ago or whatever for a 1070 or 1080 GTX that was only slightly better.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2018-11-21 at 04:57 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    AMDs are a lower price specifically because they're for a lower budget, and you get what you pay for. If you want longevity, an Intel is probably better just because it will be slightly more future proofed. The question is, will you really notice the difference? Hard to say.

I build my PCS with the plan that I don't upgrade the parts for at least 2 years, so I always go Intel. I only just replaced my 970 GTX last week with an RTX 2070. That was a big upgrade, much more impactful than spending $500 a couple years ago or whatever for a 1070 or 1080 GTX that was only slightly better.
    Yeah, i upgraded my GPU from a 770GTX to a GTX1070 last year, but im still running a i5 4690k and 8GB RAM from atleast 4 years ago, so id like to start looking at potential upgrades etc.

i see the difference between a I7 8700k and 9700k is about £25 for me.. would i be better off going for the 9700k just purely based on future proofing as it has more cores?

What RAM and MOBO would i choose with these?

Yeah, i upgraded my GPU from a 770GTX to a GTX1070 last year, but im still running a i5 4690k and 8GB RAM from atleast 4 years ago, so id like to start looking at potential upgrades etc.

i see the difference between a I7 8700k and 9700k is about £25 for me.. would i be better off going for the 9700k just purely based on future proofing as it has more cores?

I'm at work so I can't really look it up right now, use a website like pc part picker to find compatible parts and just compare on there

10+ Year Old Account

A Z370/Z390 board (Go with cheapest with the features you want), and 16GB of 3000/3200MHz RAM. If you aren't planning on OC'ing super hard, just get from a decent brand.

So for MOBO that'd be MSI, Asus, or Gigabyte, for RAM, G.skill, Corsair, and Kingston, amongst others

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    A Z370/Z390 board (Go with cheapest with the features you want), and 16GB of 3000/3200MHz RAM. If you aren't planning on OC'ing super hard, just get from a decent brand.

So for MOBO that'd be MSI, Asus, or Gigabyte, for RAM, G.skill, Corsair, and Kingston, amongst others
    Thank you, i appreciate it!

Thank you Alc aswell for your information.