Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    In what will surely be the first of many, the Cheesecake Factory admits in public it won't be able to pay its rent in April.

"At which location?"

All of them.

It's not my favorite place, and I won't miss it if it vanishes, but that's not the point. Their business model is probably not unique. Some places will have much better luck surviving, such as those built around take-out service, but in the end, lower demand and rent bills (or if you own the property, mortgage payments and taxes) don't play well with each other.

I guess bankruptcy just ordered desert first. But, it's very hungry.
    Man, imagine if these corporations acted like they told their employees to and saved some money for a "rainy day".

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, imagine if these corporations acted like they told their employees to and saved some money for a "rainy day".
    I mean...this is a hurricane. I don't know how much operating capital you're supposed to save, but it's probably not "several months".

No-one is above the law.

i think i might sell pre-market my positions, i think there might be another round of panic at 830 with the unemployment report by non institutional investors.

i just have a bad feeling it won't be that bad but it wont stop the panic

i hope i am wrong for everyone else sake
    Whether SHE IS INDICTED OR EVEN GUILTY IT DOESNT MATTER. HER GUILT IS A MOOT POINT!!! - Fox News 2016
    You don’t have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this Constitutional Republic,” - Sen (r) Graham 1999

Herald of the Titans
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    You have to pass it first to be able to read it....lol.....

- - - Updated - - -

so I pulled the trigger on some stocks yesterday thinking we were at or near a short term bottom
    I am risking that tomorrows report won't be as bad as we think. Next week numbers however might hit the numbers they are talking about.

though I am killing myself for not getting in on Monday like I wanted to, I was just too freaked out over unemployment.

Anyone else buying this week?

I gambled in UAL
    Anything that's above what I need for my current pay period goes straight into my investments. yay for relatively stable budgeting!
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

I mean...this is a hurricane. I don't know how much operating capital you're supposed to save, but it's probably not "several months".
    I feel like it's closer to "several months" than it is to "we're 110% fucked the exact next time our bills come due".

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    If Trump didn't say it a reporter would have asked him about it. "Mr Trump! Do you know about that one drug that is being used in other parts of the world to treat this virus? Do we have any progress on that?"
    If Trump knows nothing then he should pass it off to those that do. What's so hard about this? Seriously, just tell us what you don't get.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    If Trump knows nothing then he should pass it off to those that do.
    You know, like the person he put in charge. Pence. Why isn't Pence running these pressers?

Yeah, I know you meant the doctors, but if Pence is really in charge, Trump shouldn't be taking the mic.

No-one is above the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    This is the talk of a child. Blame the person highest up when someone screws up that they weren't being watched.
    I'll blame him when he offers no other information other than "it's the cure!" If I tell someone that melatonin works for sleep I will suggest a milligram size or what I take just in case they think that taking 50 mg is a good thing or just taking a fist full, tossing the pills in the air, and catching what they can in their mouth. Believe it or not but a president's word has weight to it (unfortunately Trump's still does somehow) and he needs to be careful with what he says. His word diarrhea does nothing for anyone in a time like this.

People went out and fucking poisoned themselves because they heard that it "just works" because THE FUCKING PRESIDENT SAID SO.

- - - Updated - - -

You know, like the person he put in charge. Pence. Why isn't Pence running these pressers?

Yeah, I know you meant the doctors, but if Pence is really in charge, Trump shouldn't be taking the mic.
    I agree, and you think he would make Pence do them that way he'd have an easy scapegoat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    you think he would make Pence do them that way he'd have an easy scapegoat.
    Pence is too competent to be a scapegoat. Also, Trump "firing" him, by virtue of swapping the VP ticket, would be a massive mistake.

No-one is above the law.

Pence is too competent to be a scapegoat. Also, Trump "firing" him, by virtue of swapping the VP ticket, would be a massive mistake.
    Pence doesn't have the best history when it comes to science and health though.

Reuters takes a shot at the number of new jobless claims.

It's four million.

"By when?"

Last week.

No-one is above the law.

It's four million.

"By when?"

Last week.
    "as high as".

But it certainly is a very high maximum number.

It's four million.

"By when?"

Last week.
    I expect bad job numbers will tank the stock market again. Aren't they due out today or is that not until next Thursday?
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    I expect bad job numbers will tank the stock market again. Aren't they due out today or is that not until next Thursday?
    There are numbers coming both this Friday and next Friday. This Friday is state employment/unemployment numbers from February, then next week is federal "employment situation" numbers for March.

The former won't really be informative as to the current situation, so wait for next week.

https://www.bls.gov/schedule/2020/03_sched.htm
    Last edited by Masark; 2020-03-26 at 06:17 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    There are numbers coming both this Friday and next Friday. This Friday is state employment/unemployment numbers from February, then next week is federal "employment situation" numbers for March.

The former won't really be informative as to the current situation, so wait for next week.

https://www.bls.gov/schedule/2020/03_sched.htm
    @Zaydin

The weekly unemployment comes out Thursday (today) at 830 am est.

1.5 to 4m is the estimate range.

CA already reported over a million over about 8 days...so 1.5 would be a miracle.
    Whether SHE IS INDICTED OR EVEN GUILTY IT DOESNT MATTER. HER GUILT IS A MOOT POINT!!! - Fox News 2016
    You don’t have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this Constitutional Republic,” - Sen (r) Graham 1999

Because Trump is furious he can hold rallies so he uses these things to try to goat reporters into a fight so he has the next "look, they the bad guy" he needs because its impossible for him to just be a good guy.

And the numbers have unemployment at 3.28 million new applicants for benefits.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/26/82158...QN3baWy-3Icgp8

A record 3.28 million Americans filed for unemployment benefits last week as the coronavirus pandemic shut down much of the country. The Labor Department's report Thursday was one of the first official indicators of how many people have suddenly been forced out of work nationally.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

3.3m

Didn't Texas and Ohio not submit their numbers at Trump's behest.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    And the numbers have unemployment at 3.28 million new applicants for benefits.
    Incidentally, this will spike unemployment by several percent. I don't actually have the numbers or coffee to work with...just kidding. BLS keeps the numbers and I never run out of coffee, motherfucker.

The last listed month had 158,759,000 employed people. Also, BLS says unemployment was 3.5%. Simple algebra says that means there were 164,517,098 total employable people, give or take a Hoboken, and 5,758,098 of them were out of work.

Add those 3.25 million.

Unemployment is now 5.5 percent. That's higher than Nov 2016. For now, at least, Trump has lost everything that he bragged about gaining in unemployment.

Hopefully they all get a job of some kind in four months before the bill's newly expanded unemployment insurance runs out.

No-one is above the law.

I know its still very early but seeing the Dow jump 700 points after an announcement of 3.28 million people filing for unemployment leads me to believe that the stock market isn't indicative of the US Economy as a whole.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X