10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    If Trump knows nothing then he should pass it off to those that do.
    You know, like the person he put in charge. Pence. Why isn't Pence running these pressers?

Yeah, I know you meant the doctors, but if Pence is really in charge, Trump shouldn't be taking the mic.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    This is the talk of a child. Blame the person highest up when someone screws up that they weren't being watched.
    I'll blame him when he offers no other information other than "it's the cure!" If I tell someone that melatonin works for sleep I will suggest a milligram size or what I take just in case they think that taking 50 mg is a good thing or just taking a fist full, tossing the pills in the air, and catching what they can in their mouth. Believe it or not but a president's word has weight to it (unfortunately Trump's still does somehow) and he needs to be careful with what he says. His word diarrhea does nothing for anyone in a time like this.

People went out and fucking poisoned themselves because they heard that it "just works" because THE FUCKING PRESIDENT SAID SO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    You know, like the person he put in charge. Pence. Why isn't Pence running these pressers?

Yeah, I know you meant the doctors, but if Pence is really in charge, Trump shouldn't be taking the mic.
    I agree, and you think he would make Pence do them that way he'd have an easy scapegoat.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    you think he would make Pence do them that way he'd have an easy scapegoat.
    Pence is too competent to be a scapegoat. Also, Trump "firing" him, by virtue of swapping the VP ticket, would be a massive mistake.

Pence is too competent to be a scapegoat. Also, Trump "firing" him, by virtue of swapping the VP ticket, would be a massive mistake.
    Pence doesn't have the best history when it comes to science and health though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reuters takes a shot at the number of new jobless claims.

It's four million.

"By when?"

Last week.

It's four million.

"By when?"

Last week.
    "as high as".

But it certainly is a very high maximum number.

10+ Year Old Account

It's four million.

"By when?"

Last week.
    I expect bad job numbers will tank the stock market again. Aren't they due out today or is that not until next Thursday?
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    I expect bad job numbers will tank the stock market again. Aren't they due out today or is that not until next Thursday?
    There are numbers coming both this Friday and next Friday. This Friday is state employment/unemployment numbers from February, then next week is federal "employment situation" numbers for March.

The former won't really be informative as to the current situation, so wait for next week.

https://www.bls.gov/schedule/2020/03_sched.htm
    Last edited by Masark; 2020-03-26 at 06:17 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    There are numbers coming both this Friday and next Friday. This Friday is state employment/unemployment numbers from February, then next week is federal "employment situation" numbers for March.

The former won't really be informative as to the current situation, so wait for next week.

https://www.bls.gov/schedule/2020/03_sched.htm
    @Zaydin

The weekly unemployment comes out Thursday (today) at 830 am est.

1.5 to 4m is the estimate range.

CA already reported over a million over about 8 days...so 1.5 would be a miracle.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Because Trump is furious he can hold rallies so he uses these things to try to goat reporters into a fight so he has the next "look, they the bad guy" he needs because its impossible for him to just be a good guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the numbers have unemployment at 3.28 million new applicants for benefits.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/26/82158...QN3baWy-3Icgp8

A record 3.28 million Americans filed for unemployment benefits last week as the coronavirus pandemic shut down much of the country. The Labor Department's report Thursday was one of the first official indicators of how many people have suddenly been forced out of work nationally.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

3.3m

Didn't Texas and Ohio not submit their numbers at Trump's behest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    And the numbers have unemployment at 3.28 million new applicants for benefits.
    Incidentally, this will spike unemployment by several percent. I don't actually have the numbers or coffee to work with...just kidding. BLS keeps the numbers and I never run out of coffee, motherfucker.

The last listed month had 158,759,000 employed people. Also, BLS says unemployment was 3.5%. Simple algebra says that means there were 164,517,098 total employable people, give or take a Hoboken, and 5,758,098 of them were out of work.

Add those 3.25 million.

Unemployment is now 5.5 percent. That's higher than Nov 2016. For now, at least, Trump has lost everything that he bragged about gaining in unemployment.

Hopefully they all get a job of some kind in four months before the bill's newly expanded unemployment insurance runs out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know its still very early but seeing the Dow jump 700 points after an announcement of 3.28 million people filing for unemployment leads me to believe that the stock market isn't indicative of the US Economy as a whole.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

I know its still very early but seeing the Dow jump 700 points after an announcement of 3.28 million people filing for unemployment leads me to believe that the stock market isn't indicative of the US Economy as a whole.
    They got their millions and billions so of course they're giddy about it AND many of those businesses will get rid of employees anyways on top of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    They got their millions and billions so of course they're giddy about it AND many of those businesses will get rid of employees anyways on top of it.
    Oh its expected. My former employer just put out a memo that in addition to the 3000 employees it had scheduled to furlough this year an additional 2000 will also be furloughed due to "unexpected decline in freight volumes".

In a nutshell for the Chicagoland Area that means every employee with a seniority date of 2009 or below is going to end up out of a job by the end of the year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, it isn't. Remember, the stock market is a predictive force of how the companies in question will do. They're getting massive bailouts.

From the looks of things, individuals will get that unemployment boost, so hopefully, they'll be okay, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh its expected. My former employer just put out a memo that in addition to the 3000 employees it had scheduled to furlough this year an additional 2000 will also be furloughed due to "unexpected decline in freight volumes"..
    Yeah, and some people have already posted about salary cuts. I expect those to get more aggressive now. Remember, if your boss cuts your salary, and you quit in protest, you lose unemployment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, and some people have already posted about salary cuts. I expect those to get more aggressive now. Remember, if your boss cuts your salary, and you quit in protest, you lose unemployment.
    The problem with that employer though is that they'll consider a furloughed employee at the cusp of being called back to work a "Zero Hour Employee" meaning that their status is temporary and they'll be getting some type of work in the next 30 days. It used to be a call board that gave them 2 days a week so they could maintain their benefits, but that was before the Company went total shit heel and stocked its Executive Board with hedge fund managers. Now its just used so they can legally claim that the employee isn't unemployed...he's just "temporarily" out of work making them ineligible for unemployment benefits.

I would not doubt that this system is in place in other workplaces as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post

I am risking that tomorrows report won't be as bad as we think. Next week numbers however might hit the numbers they are talking about.

Welp nothing like waking up to a horrible prediction....Shocked the market is taking that number so well.
    I just wonder how much of this is a short term panic buying that is going to crash hard soon again.

- - - Updated - - -

well short term those 3.3 million people will still get receiving at least one more check from their employer, severance pay and then unemployment. By the start of people not being able to pay bills they will get the govt check.

So the stock market is looking at short term quick gains and the sheep follow

The next big thing after employment is 401k's being tapped for regular living expenses. Outflows from funds will cause a huge liquidity problem if unemployment 's are bad for a couple weeks. Means massive selling on the market over the long term till people get back to work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    3.3m

Didn't Texas and Ohio not submit their numbers at Trump's behest.
    they were just hiding their normal public daily and weekly releases at the state level.
    they still reported to the feds to be included in the final number.

- - - Updated - - -

Incidentally, this will spike unemployment by several percent. I don't actually have the numbers or coffee to work with...just kidding. BLS keeps the numbers and I never run out of coffee, motherfucker.

The last listed month had 158,759,000 employed people. Also, BLS says unemployment was 3.5%. Simple algebra says that means there were 164,517,098 total employable people, give or take a Hoboken, and 5,758,098 of them were out of work.

Add those 3.25 million.

Unemployment is now 5.5 percent. That's higher than Nov 2016. For now, at least, Trump has lost everything that he bragged about gaining in unemployment.

t.
    Good work!!! You are about spot on in your numbers.
    Based on the first 3 full days of this week, 5.5% is amazing to what its going to be next week and the week after.
    He has a chance of undoing Obama's whole second term @7.7% by next week

BLS also has the full employment numbers too so you don't have to guess on workforce for next week, cause MAFF is Hards!

https://www.bls.gov/cps/lfcharacteristics.htm

https://www.bls.gov/webapps/legacy/cpsatab1.htm - Choose - Civilian labor force adjusted

Labor force Feb = 164,546,000 (so you were close)!!!

Feb unemployed # = 5,787,000

Today # = 3,283,000

https://www.dol.gov/ui/data.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

. I don't actually have the numbers or coffee to work with...just kidding. …. and I never run out of coffee, motherfucker.

did you stock up on coffee like everyone else did with TP?

I happen to have 4 Dunkin gift cards from Christmas....spent it all on about 11 lbs of coffee last week, as I saw coffee start to fly off the shelves! Got a 12 pack of gigantic drums of creamer and 8lbs of sugar!!

I am ready to finish digging the bunker now!!
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!