Poll: "Summon plz" or "omw"?

Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

"Summon plz" vs "omw"

My initial impression is formed by two types of people in pugs. Those who join and immediately type "Summon plz" and those who immediately say "omw".
    I don't know if I am outlier or oldskool or just raised in a different time, but immediately asking for summons feels entitled to me. Like, regardless of circumstance, it presents a bad attitude. I *always* say "omw" and start running. If the group is able to summons and sends me one, so much the better.

What do you guys think?
    Am I crazy?
    Old fuddy duddy?
    Is this a generational thing?

<Poll incoming>

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Brewmaster Kolee View Post
    My initial impression is formed by two types of people in pugs. Those who join and immediately type "Summon plz" and those who immediately say "omw".
    I don't know if I am outlier or oldskool or just raised in a different time, but immediately asking for summons feels entitled to me. Like, regardless of circumstance, it presents a bad attitude. I *always* say "omw" and start running. If the group is able to summons and sends me one, so much the better.

What do you guys think?
    Am I crazy?
    Old fuddy duddy?

<Poll incoming>
    That's because of the instant gratification generation, nothing more. Sure you of course have the outliers who value others time, etc but the vast majority of people under 30 expect everything to be done for them.

As you can tell, I agree with you that I always would start making my way there, if I happened to get a summons mid-flight, great, but outside of that... yea. It's just the generation. Doesn't help that Blizzard contributed to the entitlement.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tend to travel to the place BUT... I think if you're one place and the person you just invited is very far away and can't quickly get there it's OK to ask for a summons like this "hey, I'm in (far away place) could I get a summons?"

But if they're in Boralus and we're doing, say, MOTHERLODE, that's fast to get to - ride to the ship, talk to the captain and go to Zuldazar, boom you're there - so I'd expect that person to get off their ass and travel.

It's about effort and time. I ask for summon because it minimizes effort and time. It's someone else's effort and time, but it's also better for the entire group.

I usually dont sit around when joining a pug, I am either actively travelling there or already at the destination.

If Icheck locations and note that there are sufficient people to summon including a warlock if there isn't a stone handy and the majority of the group is already there (so a summons for mewould be more convenient for the rest of the group not needing to wait on travel time), then I ask "may I get a summons please?". Unless both conditions are met, "on my way" or "in flight".

10+ Year Old Account

What do you guys think?
    Am I crazy?
    Old fuddy duddy?

<Poll incoming>
    I always started heading towards wherever the content was I was doing and if I got a summon that's fine and if not that's cool too.

10+ Year Old Account

What do you guys think?
    Am I crazy?
    Old fuddy duddy?

<Poll incoming>
    i try to head over and help summons. or at least head over, not just wait around for someone to bring me over. i tried it once, felt guilty and really self entitled lol. never did it again XD
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

10+ Year Old Account
    I generally go the dungeon as soon as I get in a group, but I don't care much if someone asks for a summon. I get more annoyed with being phased from people at the stone because of warmode.

When I join a pug and see a wall of "summon plz", I just instantly know that it'll be hit or miss.
    I'm not only "omw" when joining, but I'm usually at the spot or close to it before signing up since I just assume that nobody's going to be waiting on me.

But alas, a lot of people are convinced of their own importance and are happy to just join and leave groups until somebody summons. I especially love the idiots joining in, asking for a summon, and then when summoned don't accept it/miss the summon and ask for another summon + "1 min plz"...

I don't say anything but I always start making my way to the dungeon entrance as soon as I get invited, even if two people are already there. I also always summon every other party member if there are two of us at the summoning stone, even if no one asked, and even if they are already making their way (I prioritise summoning the people who are furthest away).

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    It's about effort and time. I ask for summon because it minimizes effort and time. It's someone else's effort and time, but it's also better for the entire group.
    How is it better for the group?
    Born too late to explore the earth
    Born too soon to explore the galaxy
    Born just in time to browse dank memes

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    That's because of the instant gratification generation, nothing more. Sure you of course have the outliers who value others time, etc but the vast majority of people under 30 expect everything to be done for them.

As you can tell, I agree with you that I always would start making my way there, if I happened to get a summons mid-flight, great, but outside of that... yea. It's just the generation. Doesn't help that Blizzard contributed to the entitlement.
    Under 30? Yo you trying to age shame me rn?

No but in all seriousness I’m 25 and I always saw omw.
    Think there are just some people that expect others to work around them OR they’re in the middle of something and just about to finish.

I try to ignore it but yeah I don’t like when people assume summons are coming. I’m in the omw camp.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    If there's a warlock there, I'll ask for a summon. If not, I'll just go there. /shrug

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm an omw person myself.

I've had whole groups fall apart because I was the only one who could be bothered getting to the stone and the others would rather leave than travel. Very entitled.
    Here is something to believe in!

Neither. But if I had to choose, definitely "omw".

I instantly kick people who say "summon plz". Not only can I not stand lazy entitled people, I can't stand "plz" instead of "please" -- this just relates to lazy though.

I also dislike "omw", because your ass should already be here. Why are you sitting in a city looking through the group finder, instead of at the site? However, I'll give "omw" a pass because people may just not know, and there are other circumstances for why people are not at the entrance.
    Last edited by ablib; 2018-11-20 at 11:57 PM.

I usually ask if a summon is available, so that I wouldn't waste their time by getting there. EG, they have a warlock/are at summoning stone. If there aren't any, I just start moving there on my own without saying anyway, or if I'm asked, I'll say. I try to help out with summoning too, unless I have to alttab briefly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am an omw person but I never actually say it. That said I tend to try and be near the dungeon or whatever already anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    People who join my group and immediately go "summon plz" just get kicked. I flew and walked my ass there, you can to.

Filling a spot for a group in progress/already full group at the stone? A tad different, but still rude imo. Even if you just say "omw" and then get summoned 2 seconds later, it makes you not look like a lazy d-bag.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post

Let's not.

Humans of all ages would ALWAYS take advantage of others and expect the easy way forward when possible, and choose the easiest path but expect the greatest rewards.

Trying to apply it to a specific modern generation is just retarded beyond belief and rests upon the assumption that every single person wasting other's time in-game, are below a certain age.