Friend building PC

Budget Maybe 600 but trying to make it decent while keeping it as cheap as needed
    Resolution 1080
    Games / Settings Desired Rocket League but who knows what he'll end up playing in the future likes quality on high
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) None
    Country US
    Parts that can be reused A r9 380, his power supply and hard drives(ssd for OS and regular storage)
    Do you need an OS? Yes, but probably grabbing windows 10 OEM from the penguin site unless someone has a better place
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? No

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6jpfD2
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6jpfD2/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($129.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $559.96
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-20 21:19 EST-0500

Friend is thinking about updating his PC after a quick build this is what we came up with but not really stuck on any of the parts. Hes coming from an i3 4170 i think. He wants to stick with intel. Trying to get him something that'll last him a while since his 2 core system isn't working as well. So just trying to upgrade the processor but it needs the motherboard and ram upgraded to. Haven't really kept up with things nowadays built my computer back in 2011 lol.
    Last edited by BASgamer; 2018-11-21 at 02:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If he wants to play on 1080p60fps high he'll need a better GPU than the 380, unless he only plays "casual" games like Rocket League, Overwatch, LoL, or the like.
    How old is the PSU, and what make is it?

As for the parts you're buying, they look solid, but you might need to flash a new bios on the MOBO for the CPU. The Z370 platform was made for the 8000 series, and while it's compatible with the 9000 series, I believe it'll need a new bios

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    As for the parts you're buying, they look solid, but you might need to flash a new bios on the MOBO for the CPU. The Z370 platform was made for the 8000 series, and while it's compatible with the 9000 series, I believe it'll need a new bios
    Shouldnt need a new BIOS. Im not aware of any 370s needing to be flashed. The only difference in the chipsets is the native USB 3.1 Gen 2 support.

Good build minus the GPU, unless he could save up after he builds that and buy a better GPU shortly after.
    That GPU will bottleneck the system like a anvil tied around its neck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Shouldnt need a new BIOS. Im not aware of any 370s needing to be flashed. The only difference in the chipsets is the native USB 3.1 Gen 2 support.
    and native bluetooth 5.0/wireless ac

10+ Year Old Account
    Quick Google said it did, but I'm entirely open to being wrong on that front

If he wants to play on 1080p60fps high he'll need a better GPU than the 380, unless he only plays "casual" games like Rocket League, Overwatch, LoL, or the like.
    How old is the PSU, and what make is it?

Thanks for the replies yeah its just a funding issue atm. Hell be upgrading his GPU at a later date. Think the PSU was a 600w bronze one dont remember the brand id have to check, might be an antec

Edit: dose the 9600k really give anything over the 8600k if its going to be overclocked?
    Last edited by BASgamer; 2018-11-21 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BASgamer View Post
    Edit: dose the 9600k really give anything over the 8600k if its going to be overclocked?
    Check the cache sizes. If they're the same, then no, literally nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    That the IHS is soldered instead of mayo'd on.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...00K/4031vs3941
    intel sorta kinda overclocked it for you out of the box.
    GL getting any higher clocks than the 8 series though.

That the IHS is soldered instead of mayo'd on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...00K/4031vs3941
    intel sorta kinda overclocked it for you out of the box.
    GL getting any higher clocks than the 8 series though.
    Thanks for the help hell be keeping an eye on prices now, swapped him to a z390A for the higher speed ports and not needing to update the bios.
    Last edited by BASgamer; 2018-11-24 at 12:14 AM.