Page 11 of 54 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arianna43 View Post
    Conspiracy theories aren't allowed here.
    Great. It's not one. And there's science backing up the claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Yes, they are.

Their popularity is quite different compared to lootboxes in video games - hence to problem isn't as large.
    Card packs are way more common than loot boxes, there are sports trading cards as well.

There are two major differences:

A) in cases of TCGs, you are guaranteed particular rarities

B) in the cases of all card packs, you are getting physical items that you have complete freedom to sale and trade as you see fit. With video game loot boxes, it's gambling real money for random chance at pixels you don't even own, they exist on a server somewhere, so it's a completely closed system.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Card packs are way more common than loot boxes, there are sports trading cards as well.

There are two major differences:

A) in cases of TCGs, you are guaranteed particular rarities

B) in the cases of all card packs, you are getting physical items that you have complete freedom to sale and trade as you see fit. With video game loot boxes, it's gambling real money for random chance at pixels you don't even own, they exist on a server somewhere, so it's a completely closed system.
    Comparing TCG's and loot boxed is like comparing a regular lottery ticket bought from a kiosk to lottery ticket bought online.

They aren't any different - unless you think all digital goods aren't real either.

Comparing TCG's and loot boxed is like comparing a regular lottery ticket bought from a kiosk to lottery ticket bought online.

They aren't any different - unless you think all digital goods aren't real either.
    They are different.

Its fucking hilarious that people still think battlefront 2 has lootboxes.

Also lootboxes are always bad, a system where you get ingame credits that you can use on skins or cosmetics in a game that you payed for is fine, (overwatch is a shit thing that could be solved quite easily using a superior model, but due to blizzards greed they wont coz they dont care about players anymore)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurah View Post
    It's not gambling. Seriously, if you think it is, where is your outrage at Trading Card Games? Why is this only recently an issue and not 20-30 years ago when TCGs started. Why was this not an issue with Hearthstone?
    Because like I said earlier: We have two unrelated issues here.

1) Actual underage gambling which is real and a problem in many circles - even in gaming communities.

2) Gamers being whiny about skins in boxes and trying to hitch their wagon to #1 so their youtube videos crying about "Activi$ion Bli$$ard" can appear to have moral weight or something.

They are different.
    The lottery/gambling part of them isn't.

The lottery/gambling part of them isn't.
    No, but in the ways that makes one more okay than the other.

No, but in the ways that makes one more okay than the other.
    No, gambling is gambling.

No, gambling is gambling.
    No, everything can be framed as gambling. Risking time or money on a thing without knowing the future outcome. It's important to not have an absolutist view of gambling. There are nuances like having a physical item with real world value vs data on a server you cannot freely transact with, or have any control over.

No, everything can be framed as gambling. Risking time or money on a thing without knowing the future outcome. It's important to not have an absolutist view of gambling. There are nuances like having a physical item with real world value vs data on a server you cannot freely transact with, or have any control over.
    When it comes to child gamblers, it's actually quite important to have an absolutist view.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroxis View Post
    Great. It's not one. And there's science backing up the claim.
    You have science proving that gaming companies are preying on kids trying to turn them into gambling addicts? Well let's see.

I'm all up for removing loot boxes from gaming, and I sure wouldn't mind that they age restriction in card packs as well.
    Pay-2-Win?

♩ ♪ Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality... ♫

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    I'm all up for removing loot boxes from gaming, and I sure wouldn't mind that they age restriction in card packs as well.
    Trading Card Games are meant for kids.

Actually all games are.

Actually all games are.
    They are meant for the people with money to sink on it.
    Last edited by Myobi; 2018-11-23 at 07:50 PM.
    Pay-2-Win?

♩ ♪ Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality... ♫

Actually all games are.
    What a ridiculous thing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroxis View Post
    When did I ever say it was just Blizzard?
    Right you did put the "etc" after it :P

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Right you did put the "etc" after it :P
    Only reason I brought up Activision-Blizzard first is that Jim Sterling talks about them and Overwatch specifically, also this is largely a Blizzard-based forum.

Deleted
    When it comes to child gamblers, it's actually quite important to have an absolutist view.
    When I was a kid I bought packs with stickers for my sticker albums. They had certain themes like Arielle the Mermaid. You'd buy a pack for a couple of cents and you'd get like 8 stickers randomly out of a total of 150 collectable stickers for example. Then you'd put them into your album. It was always fun buying new packs, opening them, seeing if I'd get any stickers I didn't have already. I'd collect the doubles and trade them with friends or I'd get a second album and put the doubles in there. I would never complete a single album.

I didn't know that all along, I was gambling as a child in the 80's and 90's.

What does your absolutist view say to that?

Aren't those horrible sticker album companies taking advantage of children and forcing them into becoming gambling addicts?

It really does blow my mind the lengths people will defend a horribly toxic and anti-consumer practice like nickle and diming gamers with microtransactions and lootboxes under some flawed libertarian stance about government influence.