Page 13 of 54 FirstFirst ...
3
11
12
13
14
15
23
... LastLast
  1. #241
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Lookout
    Posts
    20,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Except they are.
    Except they aren't. They are no more gambling than a Collectible Card Game.

  2. #242
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Rubbing Specialist View Post
    Except they aren't. They are no more gambling than a Collectible Card Game.
    Except they are. Even the National Council on Compulsive Gambling recognizes them as such.
    Oh and TCG's are too.

    Gambling is simply trying to predict the outcome of a game of skill or chance (as defined by Gamblers Anonymous). So that little voice in your head? The one that goes: "I HOPE I GET X!"...that's the bet right there.

    I work in the industry and with the people. I know Gambling better than you do.
    Last edited by Keile; 2018-11-24 at 02:26 PM.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

  3. #243
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Rubbing Specialist View Post
    If you think lootboxes are worse than actual gambling, you have serious issues.
    Everyone on the internet loves to throw this gem around but nobody ever specifies just what issues I might have...

    Oh and you're wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Except they are. Even the National Council on Compulsive Gambling recognizes them as such.
    Oh and TCG's are too.

    Gambling is simply trying to predict the outcome of a game of skill or chance (as defined by Gamblers Anonymous). So that little voice in your head? The one that goes: "I HOPE I GET X!"...that's the bet right there.

    I work in the industry and with the people. I know Gambling better than you do.
    They clearly got serious issues too, according to the Professor Meat Rubbing Specialist.
    Last edited by Justpassing; 2018-11-24 at 02:40 PM.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

  4. #244
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Rubbing Specialist View Post
    Except they aren't. They are no more gambling than a Collectible Card Game.
    collectible card games are not focus tested out the ass to have opening animations that do things like show a single frame of a legendary/max rarity item to force a false positive dopamine crash to indoctrinate habit forming users to get a "i was so close, just one more" mentality. Loot box animations are literally designed to brainwash and form an addiction in susceptible people. Thats a fact.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

  5. #245
    Are Lootboxes gambling? for the most part yeah. I still don't have a problem with them so long as they are only cosmetic items. The only game I play that has loot boxes is Overwatch and I really don't have a problem with the lootboxes in that game. That being said I would not miss them if they went away. It just seems to me that alot of people who are against lootboxes are just using the whole "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" shit out of convenience.

  6. #246
    The Unstoppable Force Puupi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    22,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Sails View Post
    The inclusion of lootboxes should automatically make a game 18 rated
    ^ this.

    /10lootboxes
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

  7. #247
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    collectible card games are not focus tested out the ass to have opening animations that do things like show a single frame of a legendary/max rarity item to force a false positive dopamine crash to indoctrinate habit forming users to get a "i was so close, just one more" mentality. Loot box animations are literally designed to brainwash and form an addiction in susceptible people. Thats a fact.
    So if loot boxes openings are dull, it's all good? So many stretches people are trying for to tie some in-game rng to gambling.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

  8. #248
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Rubbing Specialist View Post
    Except they aren't. They are no more gambling than a Collectible Card Game.
    learn what dopamine is and save us all the hassle of your debates.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  9. #249
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    So if loot boxes openings are dull, it's all good? So many stretches people are trying for to tie some in-game rng to gambling.
    Crazier concept: You unlock things like skins by playing the game. Shocking idea i know. But of course the stretches addicts go to validate their addiction as somehow not 'paying money for random chances at on disc content' is nothing new, they are just having their rush/fix threatened and for some reason think championing for AAA lockboxes is the heroic stance to protect 'the little guy'.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

  10. #250
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    collectible card games are not focus tested out the ass to have opening animations that do things like show a single frame of a legendary/max rarity item to force a false positive dopamine crash to indoctrinate habit forming users to get a "i was so close, just one more" mentality. Loot box animations are literally designed to brainwash and form an addiction in susceptible people. Thats a fact.
    Both EA and Activision filed patents shortly before the Battlefront2 fiasco for more systems just like that. These were basically "scientific studies" done by PhD behavioral scientists etc. on Maximizing Engagement™ in order to increase Recurrent Spending™
    Stuff like logging what items your mouse cursor hovered over, intentionally matchmaking you with people that had the items they determined you wanted to make you more jealous, intentionally spawning the counter to your equipment to entice you into buying a new weapon, etc. were all examples they gave in the patent filing.

    They're not messing around. They have an entire book they slap down on the table in front of devs at the start of a product on monetization these days and devs have to build their games around those demands.

    Also in the case of CCGs: The physical cards are also an investment and can be bought, sold, or traded. Very very few video games actually let you trade or sell items, usually you're just stuck with them.
    Last edited by stellvia; 2018-11-24 at 07:41 PM.

  11. #251
    Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Stuff like logging what items your mouse cursor hovered over, intentionally matchmaking you with people that had the items they determined you wanted to make you more jealous, intentionally spawning the counter to your equipment to entice you into buying a new weapon, etc. were all examples they gave in the patent filing.
    So video game companies are starting to do what ad and marketing companies have been doing for over a century. Welcome to business.

    Also in the case of CCGs: The physical cards are also an investment and can be bought, sold, or traded. Very very few video games actually let you trade or sell items, usually you're just stuck with them.
    I've never understood this line of argument. It actually strengthens the argument that you should be regulating CCG's, not loot boxes.

    If you're just stuck with what you get from loot boxes, then the comparison becomes:

    Loot boxes: You spend $X and get nothing. You have now lost $X.You can never "win".

    CCG's: You spend $X, and depending on your odds you will end up with a value between slightly above $0, and potentially way above $x. How is that different from a slot machine?

    Should we ban Cracker Jack boxes? Kinder Surprise Eggs? Eggshell machines from malls?

    What about promotions like https://news.mcdonalds.com/node/7966 or https://dewanddoritos.ca/

    If your answer is "Oh well you're getting the product you paid for, the prize is just a bonus", then welcome to how Blizzard got around loot boxes in China and how easy it will be for gaming companies just do the exact same thing elsewhere.

  12. #252
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Actually...


    If you buy the meal in hopes of getting a specific toy...you are gambling.
    So, you're comparing someone who already has a gambling addiction to a childs toy at mcdonalds. No, its not gambling. It doesn't matter how you spin it. Someone who has an addiction already may find some small pleasure in it, but when you can literally ask for the specific reward, its not gambling. If it was, you'd see people go bankrupt over it or get in trouble. Don't see governments even batting an eye at them.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

  13. #253
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Crazier concept: You unlock things like skins by playing the game. Shocking idea i know. But of course the stretches addicts go to validate their addiction as somehow not 'paying money for random chances at on disc content' is nothing new, they are just having their rush/fix threatened and for some reason think championing for AAA lockboxes is the heroic stance to protect 'the little guy'.
    I am very much in favor of that system, yet even games like OW that have the rewards available in game is getting flak for loot boxes. Hell it's the most represented example I've been seeing when other complain on the concept.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

  14. #254
    Stood in the Fire Guardian Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Mainframe
    Posts
    420
    I'd also consider micro-transactions to be limited to those over 18 years old since a lot of games today are using them as a predatory practice to extract money from kids. We've all heard the stories of a child who charged thousands on a parents credit card and had to call Apple or Google to get their money back. 18 or older cause hopefully you're not dumb enough to be tricked into spending real money on digital in game items.

  15. #255
    The Lightbringer Aori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    3,648
    This is a parent problem or lack there of.

  16. #256
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    This is a parent problem or lack there of.
    We also have seat belts and crash helmets to stop idiots killing themselves.

    Government is there to protect people from themselves when working correctly and not corrupted by big business.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  17. #257
    The Lightbringer Aori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    3,648
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    We also have seat belts and crash helmets to stop idiots killing themselves.

    Government is there to protect people from themselves when working correctly and not corrupted by big business.
    What a terrible analogy. Idiots don't use seat belts or helmets.

    If your kid develops a gambling problem from loot boxes, you the parent are the one at fault for not monitoring their actions. The kid has to get the money from someone. These are generally the same parents who buy their child a 17+ game even though they're 10 and then complain later about video games because of their selfimposed ignorance.

  18. #258
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    What a terrible analogy. Idiots don't use seat belts or helmets.

    If your kid develops a gambling problem from loot boxes, you the parent are the one at fault for not monitoring their actions. The kid has to get the money from someone. These are generally the same parents who buy their child a 17+ game even though they're 10 and then complain later about video games because of their selfimposed ignorance.
    Yeah because every parent should know that a football game has lootboxes in it. Im not excusing shitty parenting.

    I just dont think you should be able to prey on kids either. Business has already destroyed everything else, let kids be kids without the university funded researched sketchy slow reveal RNG lootbox shitfest.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  19. #259
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

  20. #260
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Yeah because every parent should know that a football game has lootboxes in it.
    This is a really good point I think most don't realize.

    Most parents aren't gaming enthusiasts, they might play a game here or there but they don't check news and have no idea what is going on in the industry.

    You could say a parent is an idiot if they buy their kid RDR2 and then later realize it's a mature game with lots of gore and violence sure, it explicitly says so on the box of the game. Games like Madden, FIFA, Overwatch don't say they have in game gambling with low odds of receiving items players want. Most parents aren't going to know this. The "bad parenting" excuse doesn't really fly here. Sure it's probably not ideal parenting going on but I reckon this term is being thrown out by mostly people that don't even have kids or even know shit about raising them in a digital world.

    We should probably just get rid of laws and government entirely because kids want to protect "muh skins" in overwatch. I mean if something bad or exploitative happens in real life it's probably just due to poor parenting right? Why legislate any laws using that blanket excuse?
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-11-28 at 10:36 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •