Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I could see them doing might be to require debit instead of credit cards for lootbox purchases, but the business model as a whole is not inherently flawed. The cost of gaming has gone up right, wrong, or indifferent, and loot boxes lower that impact on the majority of players.

I also think it's disingenuous to tie the study so deeply to loot boxes.

Deleted
    Remember the times when video games came in a cassette/cartridge/disc and you got the whole game.

Games today feel like buying the interior of a car for full price and then having to pay extra over time for the interior.

What happened to in game unlockables?

I miss the days before video games became this huge corporate sellout, back when video games were made by real nerds, not people in suits

Man another reason to miss the 90's

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    You mean the days that didn't exist? You mean the times where you bought a cartridge for $60 and it was often a game that you played for 45 minutes because it was trash, broken, buggy, or just awful if it wasn't a flagship title?

Yeah, don't start with that old-times-were-the-best crap. Honestly I'd rather never go back to that kind of gaming distribution. I just play the games I like now and don't buy loot boxes, it's pretty great overall.
    Not sure what games you played, I didn't have any broken games. I only played good games.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Why on earth can you not provide all the items in lootboxes as items for purchase at a shop. . .
    This is how lootboxes should be handled.

Free to play -> earn lootboxes.

Want to not deal with RNG -> direct purchase.

If lootboxes were only earned by leveling, and cosmetics could be purchased directly without the need to level to look cool. But that makes sales reasonable instead of perverse.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Well, it really comes to a point of, do you want updates to your game past the first year? Yes? Then there's either some form of Microtransaction, or you're buying "season passes", games are expensive to develop.
    Ye, and then they release new title next year regardless, while abandoning previous. And the cycle repeats.

Yes, they cover the cost of PRODUCING the game, but not maintaining it. Loot boxes is a small price to pay for new maps, heroes, updates, etc all being released.
    Source on that please. Those companies easily give like 20 mil rewards to their CEOs. And let's not forget "famouse" Battlefront 2. EA said to their investors, that disabling those "necessary" lootboxes will have no impact on the game whatsoever.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2018-11-21 at 09:15 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Now I'm wondering if you're not actually old enough to have played games back in the "Good old days" that you're talking about OR if you're old enough to be having issues remembering that far back.
    A lot of kids today do the "good old days" nowadays. See: Classic forum.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard Sanctum View Post
    Not sure what games you played, I didn't have any broken games. I only played good games.
    Yea he's exaggerating. I prefer the model of getting a full game that you've paid for. I think Rock Star has done it best. 60$ for phenomenal single player experiences and then a month later exploit people online.

In fact I prefer a subscription model. X amount a month to have access to Blizzard games or other games is completely justifiable. A lot of people hate the idea because they love getting shit for free and leeching. But if you can't afford 30-45$ a month in nonstop access to video games then you are not financially sound enough to have the luxury of video games and should instead be concentrating on other aspects of your life.

Deleted
    Now I'm wondering if you're not actually old enough to have played games back in the "Good old days" that you're talking about OR if you're old enough to be having issues remembering that far back.
    I am probably older than you are.

For reference I had a Spectrum ZX (okay those games were pretty buggy, sometimes I couldn't even get them to play)

Dizzy is like one of my favourite franchises on the ZX. I had them all. And they all worked fine enough. I still would rather a Dizzy than a loot box filled Call of Duty.

I also had an NES, SNES, Mega Drive and N64.

Out of all those consoles I don't remember any of them being 'buggy messes', thats not to say they didn't probably have a glitch or issue that was allowed to exploit, like the stair glitch in Mario 64, it wasnt really game breaking in the fact that I could still play the game I wanted anyway. It wasnt taking ME out of the gaming experience.

I see more bugs and glitches in video games (I mean live services) today than I used to in my day though, and they still charge you a large amount for half a game, then expect you to pay more for extra features.
    Last edited by mmocfb48d32508; 2018-11-21 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Let loot boxes be. If they make you butthurt, don't purchase them. Or better yet, don't buy the game that has them.

That's the best way to tell companies loot boxes are unacceptable. Don't even look at their games.

But I say who cares. Let these companies take advantage of and money from these gambling addicted idiots. They deserve it.
    This is about children and not about grown as men playing video games and become addicted.

1990-2005: Unlock skin by playing game or entering cheat code
    2006-2010: Unlock skin by paying company us $5
    2011-Present: Unlock skin by paying us $5 for the small chance at receiving the skin you want

It's hilarious people act like this isn't an issue. Paid skins are one thing, at least you know what you're paying for. Loot boxes are the scum of gaming and I could give a rats ass if they are purely cosmetic or even straight up pay to win. Either way, they are a scummy tactic that will soon die as more governments bring down the hammer.

Deleted
    I don't see the issue with lootboxes. Especially when you can earn them ingame. Just don't buy them if it bothers you. Besides, cosmetic stuff is so unimportant. I don't even get why people care about skins in Overwatch, when you don't even see your character 99% of the time. I mean it's an FPS...

No, but they're not going to make them out of the kindness of their heart either, you don't become a multi-billion dollar company by giving shit away. Either you get Microtransactions or paid expansions, I'll take microtransactions that I don't need to pay for, like OW.
    Microtransaction's are not the issue, How you buy them is.

If they want to sell a million different versions of a pink hat for $0.99 then I don't care. if they want to sell a loot box where you gamble your money on something you want then I do.

Sell MTX's but do it without lootbox's.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurah View Post
    I don't see the issue with lootboxes. Especially when you can earn them ingame. Just don't buy them if it bothers you. Besides, cosmetic stuff is so unimportant. I don't even get why people care about skins in Overwatch, when you don't even see your character 99% of the time. I mean it's an FPS...
    Yeee, tell that to for example Riot Games, making big money with skins, or to WoW players going crazy about mythic mounts/armor sets. Looks is VERY important to many players.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Yeee, tell that to for example Riot Games, making big money with skins, or to WoW players going crazy about mythic mounts/armor sets. Looks is VERY important to many players.
    Not important enough to spend my life's savings on it, and if you can't resist you deserve to be milked. It's actually good. People like that will finance the game so other people will be able to enjoy it for free, or at least have to pay less.

Not important enough to spend my life's savings on it, and if you can't resist you deserve to be milked. It's actually good. People like that will finance the game so other people will be able to enjoy it for free, or at least have to pay less.
    So your ok with people being taken advantage of as long as you get something out of it....

Thanks for showing your not worth replying to Mr Alt Account.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    So your ok with people being taken advantage of as long as you get something out of it....

Thanks for showing your not worth replying to Mr Alt Account.
    How is anyone being taken advantage of?

1) You can earn lootboxes in game, unlock them through actually playing the game.
    2) You don't have to buy them.

It's not like selling food to starving people at exorbitant prices.

People need to take responsibility for their actions. I'm not buying this shit. So then neither does anyone else have to.

You know it's one of these things where, if no one bought this, they wouldn't be able to sell this.

Calling this gambling is ridiculous.

Are Kinder Surprise Eggs gambling, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    How much money do people pay to look cool in real life? I argue that the reason we see pay to win and power items represented less is because cosmetics just make more money. And people then try to stand up this grand idea that cosmetic exploitation is fine. Defenders of this system are so fucking delusional.

How is anyone being taken advantage of?

1) You can earn lootboxes in game, unlock them through actually playing the game.
    2) You don't have to buy them.

It's not like selling food to starving people at exorbitant prices.

People need to take responsibility for their actions. I'm not buying this shit. So then neither does anyone else have to.

You know it's one of these things where, if no one bought this, they wouldn't be able to sell this.

Calling this gambling is ridiculous.

Are Kinder Surprise Eggs gambling, too?
    1) Google Gambling Addiction because you clearly don't understand what it is.

2) Yes they are.

That will be my last reply to your bait because its clear that's what it is.

Deleted
    1) Google Gambling Addiction because you clearly don't understand what it is.
    This is not gambling. You can win money when gambling. This is cosmetic stuff in a videogame. It is no different than buying Hearthstone packs or buying real paper TCG packs. Or anything else that can have something inside it but doesn't have to. Kinder Surprise Eggs aren't gambling. Neither is this.

That will be my last reply to your bait because its clear that's what it is.
    Whenever people can not comprehend why someone would have an opposing position to theirs, they call it bait. Obviously this person must be trolling, why would someone believe something other than what I am believing?

This is not gambling. You can win money when gambling
    False.

Ever seen any giveaway? Like say the Taco Bell Xbox One giveaway going on? They all have to offer free options with no purchase necessary to avoid being shut down. If they didn't, they would be gambling.

But please tell me more about things you don't understand. Also many governments actually do have certain laws in place around trading card packs, usually requiring odds to be stated on the packaging or available at retail if asked.