Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Motso View Post
    Apart from being provably false, it is pretty irrelevant. Which specific game brought this issue to the forefront of people concerns isn't really important. It has become a pox on many many games at this point.
    which game that boomed in popularity and had lootbox from start then ?
    and it is relevant, because loot box system exist since ages in phone games, yet they were ignored since those games were very minor, not respected by gaming community, so it was hard to get addict to in first place because how sh8t they are
    now enter the greediest company on earth (activision, not EA btw), then epic games, then EA, and then it became problem, activision turned it from some sh8t system that was mainly phone based for free games to mainstream 60$ games still milking ppl
    It shows how influential are games now, i know that system exist since age because i used to play a small fun card game on phone, half ppl didn't even know about the loot box idea
    my point is : there are lot of bad shady stuff happens, it only became problem when AAA games adopted it, made mainstream gamers more aproned to gambling, and while i expect the ban hammer very soon on all loot boxing systems, it still need to fix the problem at root : like it or not AAA publishers now have massive influence on society and MUST be controlled to not repeat gambling addiction again

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    What amazes me is the childlike faith in the government to change anything good about it...
    government hate video games and in general will move against stuff like that, the infamous sub-zero finish was shown in congress and they forced esrb rating, parents are ignorant is not their fault and they did the right thing
    gambling is a real addiction and a very destructive one, if usa moved against violence and they are infamous for allowing blood and limbs on tv but never a nipple, why would they be merciful against gambling ?
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    government hate video games and in general will move against stuff like that, the infamous sub-zero finish was shown in congress and they forced esrb rating, parents are ignorant is not their fault and they did the right thing
    gambling is a real addiction and a very destructive one, if usa moved against violence and they are infamous for allowing blood and limbs on tv but never a nipple, why would they be merciful against gambling ?
    The ESRB wasn't forced to do anything. They were formed, and the rating system was established, in response to the government snooping around in video games without understanding them. The ESRB rating system is purely a self policing system in place to keep the gov't out.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    which game that boomed in popularity and had lootbox from start then ?
    and it is relevant, because loot box system exist since ages in phone games, yet they were ignored since those games were very minor, not respected by gaming community, so it was hard to get addict to in first place because how sh8t they are
    now enter the greediest company on earth (activision, not EA btw), then epic games, then EA, and then it became problem, activision turned it from some sh8t system that was mainly phone based for free games to mainstream 60$ games still milking ppl
    It shows how influential are games now, i know that system exist since age because i used to play a small fun card game on phone, half ppl didn't even know about the loot box idea
    my point is : there are lot of bad shady stuff happens, it only became problem when AAA games adopted it, made mainstream gamers more aproned to gambling, and while i expect the ban hammer very soon on all loot boxing systems, it still need to fix the problem at root : like it or not AAA publishers now have massive influence on society and MUST be controlled to not repeat gambling addiction again

- - - Updated - - -

At least as far as the papers submitted to Parliament here it specifically references Fortnight as being the 'first' of the new style of 'hook-loop' pattern loot box reward systems. The f2p aspect combined with the sheer popularity of Fortnight when compared to Overwatch is also part of it.
    But that isn't even to say you are wrong, but what we should know now with any gaming controversy that hits the mainstream it is never really about what was first it is more about what got noticed by the non gaming public/parents.
    I don't know which was first, but I do know that Fortnight was the first one to be named as an issue here specifically.

Its not even quite as simple as lootboxes as a whole, as you quite rightly observe, they have existed in one form or another for years. It is the newer style ones seen in the AAA games you mention that are pushing the line between a simple randomized reward and an actual system that is deliberately making use of the features that cause the pokies to be such a fuckin scourge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper Stalladris View Post
    This was literally available to kids. You would buy coins from the fair with real money, put them in there, then win coins and you'd use them to redeem them for prices. This was all available to kids and still is and no one is batting an eyelash. We still have these things. Why don't you go and get those things "regulated"?
    Cigarettes were also available to kids, are you going to argue against regulation here too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

5+ Year Old Account
    What amazes me is the childlike faith in the government to change anything good about it...
    Suppose it depends on the government really. I enjoy the idea that any mention of government regulation is immediately childlike faith. Nobody thinks its going to be dealt with well. Its more like the faith you have in a really flaky mate offering you a favour. Its probably gonna be useless but at least they are trying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Cigarettes were also available to kids, are you going to argue against regulation here too?
    The idea of things being regulated seems to really bother some people just on principle. Reminds me of Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation.

Parents are to blame if they can't properly teach their kids to stay away from gambling, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Popastique View Post
    Parents are to blame if they can't properly teach their kids to stay away from gambling, IMHO.
    Still doesn't ok company's to exploit kids...
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Still doesn't ok company's to exploit kids...
    What about smoking then? Or alcohol for that matter? It all should be banned then, so poor kids are all safe ... OR make parents actually raise their kids instead of slacking off.

P.S. I wonder where kids get that much money for all that gambling

Parents ...

What about smoking then? Or alcohol for that matter? It all should be banned then, so poor kids are all safe ... OR make parents actually raise their kids instead of slacking off.
    You mean the two things that is regulated and you must be 18 for smokes and 21 for alcohol to buy in the US?

You really should pick better things as a example if your trying to prove me wrong.

Slap a AO or M ranting on games that has loot box's, Problem fixed. At that point its 100% on the parent.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Everything that you enjoy doing and can repeat is addictive and triggers the same brain areas every time you do it. Duh.

What's next? Outlaw great (ADDICTIVE) gameplay? Time wasted is much greater concern than money. Think of the children for fuck's sake!

Regulate your kids if you want regulation.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

You mean the two things that is regulated and you must be 18 for smokes and 21 for alcohol to buy in the US?

You really should pick better things as a example if your trying to prove me wrong.
    Do not know about USA, maybe it is really that strict in your country. But tons of kids here in Ukraine, and yes - kids of 11+ years old, often buy alcohol and cigarettes via different ways. And in the end the parent is to blame.

I find it really strange to blame companies for gambling issue when the real culprit is out there, avoiding simple responsibility of explaining their kid what is wrong and what is right.
    Last edited by Popastique; 2019-06-24 at 06:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Industry had tools to regulate itself, but it decided that all that cash swag money from gambling addicts now is worth repercussions later. Seriously, just slap an 18+ label on all mobile games and games with lootboxes in general - done, blame shifted, problem "solved", just like with tobacco and/or drinking - "it's not our problem that your kid somehow got drunk, we don't sell to minors, probably human error by an expendable worker" line of defense

- - - Updated - - -

The idea of things being regulated seems to really bother some people just on principle. Reminds me of Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation.
    At least Ron was funny this way. Seeing this in real life is just something
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Parents are to blame if they can't properly teach their kids to stay away from kidnappers, IMHO.
    Cool, nice to know we're still blaming the wrong people here.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Numbers out of UK put instances of kids being admitted to counseling for gambling addiction had quadrupled over the last 2 years.
    Which doesn't prove anything when it includes a timeframe that saw the deregulation of highstreet gambling machines and a massive advertising push to brand gambling as cool and sophisticated (with tiny footnotes telling people to gamble responsibly.)

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Imagine defending loot boxes in video games...

whether you care about children or not loot boxes are a plague to video games and have fucked the industry up tremendously, why would any self-respecting gamer want them?
    It's not about saying whether loot-boxes are good or bad (like most micro-transactions I care very little either way) but there is skepticism about whether we want the government regulating video-games over fears they may be harmfully addictive and affect people's behaviour in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kromtar View Post
    The biggest difference to TCGs I see is if you want a specific card you can just trade for it or buy it directly from someone who opened a pack instead of gambling on getting it yourself randomly. With loot boxes you can't trade duplicates to other players making the gambling mechanic the only possible way to attain something specific.
    The fact that TCGs have an easy exchange mechanism that includes cash values makes them closer to gambling than loot-boxes, when Pokemon cards were at their height of popularity there were concerns that they were essentially a lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post
    An example of a predatory consumer practice in a game, would be to intentionally match make people who haven't bought equipment or power with real money VS people who have, as to create an underlying need and incentive to make the non payer buy equipment or power.
    The "predatory consumer practices" are the way loot-boxes and other micro-transactions are being pushed in games. Personally I don't think loot-boxes are any more gambling than TCGs but the way some games market them is akin to a Magic The Gathering sales rep going around playgrounds and selling packs to kids immediately after they lost a game. There are some pretty strong regulations about how TV advertising is allowed to show products for kids or during kid's programs but these don't follow over into video games.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    "No, it isn't."... "it might be addictive"... "doesn't mean it is meant to exploit", Kerry Hopkins, is that you?

Why do you think that most of loot boxes put up a light show whenever you open them? Flashy colors, fancy sounds and pretty animations? Just for the aesthetics of it? There are multiple studies on the psychological effects of sound, light and color in games of chance, it’s nothing new, it’s no coincidence that most of them share this sort of characteristics, that you also happen to find in shit such as online roulette's.

Also, you can claim whatever you fucking want, regardless how silly it might be, however, games in “general”, don’t profit any further from your addictiveness to them… dude, if you want to defend this sort of practice, just stick to what actually makes sense, “people need to be fucking responsible” and “governments fingering my video games is bad”, that’s all you need to say, which is why the best possible solution for this sort of shit is just having the rating system actually deal with it and let players vote with their wallets from there on.
    This is also a pretty good argument for banning games like WoW which use "sound, light and colour" to trigger a response that could be addictive.

- - - Updated - - -

At least as far as the papers submitted to Parliament here it specifically references Fortnight as being the 'first' of the new style of 'hook-loop' pattern loot box reward systems. The f2p aspect combined with the sheer popularity of Fortnight when compared to Overwatch is also part of it.
    But that isn't even to say you are wrong, but what we should know now with any gaming controversy that hits the mainstream it is never really about what was first it is more about what got noticed by the non gaming public/parents.
    I don't know which was first, but I do know that Fortnight was the first one to be named as an issue here specifically.

Its not even quite as simple as lootboxes as a whole, as you quite rightly observe, they have existed in one form or another for years. It is the newer style ones seen in the AAA games you mention that are pushing the line between a simple randomized reward and an actual system that is deliberately making use of the features that cause the pokies to be such a fuckin scourge.
    The thing is F2P Fortnite doesn't have loot-boxes, the Parliamentary commission is looking into addictive/immersive games as potentially harmful regardless of microtransactions including calls to outright ban the game or place restrictions on how long people are allowed to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Cool, nice to know we're still blaming the wrong people here.
    So parents who fuel their kids with pocket money but do not guide their kids in right direction are not to blame? Cool ....

10+ Year Old Account
    So parents who fuel their kids with pocket money but do not guide their kids in right direction are not to blame? Cool ....
    Not as much as the companies giving them access to the gambling. Saying that it's parents fault for not teaching their kids to not gamble is like saying it's the parents fault if a child gets kidnapped because they didn't teach them not to trust strangers. Could the parents have done more? Probably. Are they responsible? FUCK NO

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Not as much as the companies giving them access to the gambling. Saying that it's parents fault for not teaching their kids to not gamble is like saying it's the parents fault if a child gets kidnapped because they didn't teach them not to trust strangers. Could the parents have done more? Probably. Are they responsible? FUCK NO
    Lulz, that comparison is ridiculous. No one is forcing the child to push the buttons and buy some shiny stuff, and fuck yes the parents are responsible for not teaching their kid how to avoid spending huge amounts of money in video games. In that particular case ( buying stuff ) parents are responsible.

Lulz, that comparison is ridiculous. No one is forcing the child to push the buttons and buy some shiny stuff, and fuck yes the parents are responsible for not teaching their kid how to avoid spending huge amounts of money in video games. In that particular case ( buying stuff ) parents are responsible.
    So fuck parents and let company's exploit kids.....

So fuck parents and let company's exploit kids.....
    If parents can't spend time with their kids and raise them properly, why bother having kids in the first place?
    Not company's fault for sure. Spend time with your children - problem solved.

Lootboxes are designed like slot-machines in a casino, with all the necessary light, sound and special effects to trigger that dopamin-release. The more people are exposed to such things the higher the chance they become addicted.
    And as we know kids brains are far more receptible to such manipulation than adults, so keeping these things away from children and developing youngsters should be any societies core interest.

Now, IF those lootboxes could only be bought then certain posters would be right to complain about parents and paying attention.
    But the thing is, companies throw those things at the players as playing-rewards to get them hooked.
    Thats like saying: Kids, don't do drug, but then let the dealer run around on the playground handing out free test-samples to get his future clients hooked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.