Page 34 of 54 FirstFirst ...
24
32
33
34
35
36
44
... LastLast
  1. #661
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Pretty much, you have to give your kids their own spending money and a certain amount of independence. There is literally 0 reason for a parent who has taken proper precautions for their kids to not play games they shouldn't, should just have their kid be allowed to buy loot boxes in all the various games that are rated E and T.

    The way he words his post he's either lying, or was that stereotypical controlling step parent everyone hates so I don't have much sympathy for him either way. Being THAT controlling is a good example of actual bad parenting.
    See, you don't have a leg to stand on here. First, you're making sweeping generalizations on something you know absolutely nothing about and on top of that putting words in my mouth.

    I never said don't give kids money or let them buy things. I said it's the parent's money and their responsibility to know what they are buying. I never even said don't let kids buy loot boxes at all. You're reading into it what you want. My argument is that it's your responsibility, not anyone else's, to monitor and limit what your kids do.

    Again nice reading comprehension.
    Last edited by Polly3685; 2019-06-24 at 07:05 PM.

  2. #662
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    You don't even need to go that far, if I remember correctly @Jtbrig7390 works in a gamestop, ask him what may happen if he sells a +18 rated game to a minor.
    Hell I worked at gamestop over a decade ago and can tell you exactly what would happen. Best case first and final, more then likely goodbye. Even back then the registers immediately ask you for a date of birth when ringing an M rated sku just like if you ring tobacco or alcohol in a grocery store.

  3. #663
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    As my mom once told me when I got my first job, it's her business what I spend my money on until I get out of her house, pay my own bills and feed myself.
    Helicopter parent much? When I turned half my life ago and got a job (had to have a license first to get my own ass there) my Mother didn't give a single shit what I spent my money on, I worked for it, it was mine to spend.

    Granted I wasn't a druggy or an alchy so she didn't really need to worry, basically just bought video games and systems.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    You don't even need to go that far, if I remember correctly @Jtbrig7390 works in a gamestop, ask him what may happen if he sells a +18 rated game to a minor.
    Small nitpick, its 17+ :P always confused the fuck out of me because I could buy an M rated game by myself at 17... but couldn't rent one because Family Video required you to be 18.... lol

  4. #664
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Helicopter parent much? When I turned half my life ago and got a job (had to have a license first to get my own ass there) my Mother didn't give a single shit what I spent my money on, I worked for it, it was mine to spend.

    Granted I wasn't a druggy or an alchy so she didn't really need to worry, basically just bought video games and systems.
    A kid with a part time job earning $600-800 a month with no bills or responsibilities should be monitored by their parent on what they spend their money on... this ain't rocket science nor is it claiming it's not "their" money. lmao.

  5. #665
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    A kid with a part time job earning $600-800 a month with no bills or responsibilities should be monitored by their parent on what they spend their money on... this ain't rocket science nor is it claiming it's not "their" money. lmao.
    I mean, to each their own, but as long as they ain't buying hookers and blow who really cares, if they want to waste that 600-800 dollars a month on MTX, so be it.

    Man though, is that what kids nowadays make? I was lucky to pull in like 400 a month at 5.50/hr, and that was above minimum wage.

  6. #666
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    A kid with a part time job earning $600-800 a month with no bills or responsibilities should be monitored by their parent on what they spend their money on... this ain't rocket science nor is it claiming it's not "their" money. lmao.
    Thinks a kid old enough to work should have their money monitored but thinks parents can't be expected to monitor if their kids are buying loot boxes. And I'm the one who is being contrarian for the sake of it... Fucking priceless.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I mean, to each their own, but as long as they ain't buying hookers and blow who really cares, if they want to waste that 600-800 dollars a month on MTX, so be it.

    Man though, is that what kids nowadays make? I was lucky to pull in like 400 a month at 5.50/hr, and that was above minimum wage.
    If it's net income 800 is pushing full time on minimum wage, gross would still be close to 30 hr/wk assuming we're talking about the US.

  7. #667
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly3685 View Post
    If it's net income 800 is pushing full time on minimum wage, gross would still be close to 30 hr/wk assuming we're talking about the US.
    I thought so, and with labor laws the way they are, ain't no kid pushing 30h/wk. I was lucky to get 8 during school and 15 in the summer because MI child labor laws SUCKED.

  8. #668
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Sorry for resurfacing this...



    So, since lootboxes are now a dirty word, EA is trying to sidestep the issue by simply renaming the system as "surprise mechanics". Also unlike lootboxes, this system is apparently "ethical".
    Jesus Christ, everytime I see or hear Jim Sterling I immediately thank the heavens that I do not look or sound like Jim Sterling

    - - - Updated - - -

    Loot boxes exist because people buy them. The solution is simple - don't let your kid have access to your card (or don't be a shit parent and actually spend time with them), and if you're an adult - never buy lootboxes.

  9. #669
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I thought so, and with labor laws the way they are, ain't no kid pushing 30h/wk. I was lucky to get 8 during school and 15 in the summer because MI child labor laws SUCKED.
    I'm sure it varies state to state. I have no idea what they are locally anymore. When I started working at 16 I could pull 40 hr/wk in retail without breaking any labor laws. Not that I always got that many.

  10. #670
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Loot boxes exist because people buy them. The solution is simple - don't let your kid have access to your card (or don't be a shit parent and actually spend time with them), and if you're an adult - never buy lootboxes.
    Yawn, the usual excuses that have been proven wrong multiple times in this thread and do nothing to solve the problem.

    Let's make crack legal- what's the problem? Just don't buy it!

    Regulation exists for a reason, and government only steps in when the industry fails to properly regulate itself. If it comes to that they have no one to blame but themselves.

  11. #671
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Jesus Christ, everytime I see or hear Jim Sterling I immediately thank the heavens that I do not look or sound like Jim Sterling

    - - - Updated - - -

    Loot boxes exist because people buy them. The solution is simple - don't let your kid have access to your card (or don't be a shit parent and actually spend time with them), and if you're an adult - never buy lootboxes.
    Holy shit, someone who understands!

  12. #672
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly3685 View Post
    I'm sure it varies state to state. I have no idea what they are locally anymore. When I started working at 16 I could pull 40 hr/wk in retail without breaking any labor laws. Not that I always got that many.
    I was doing 30-40 originally then the changed it so that if a minor worked over 4 hours they needed at 1hr uninterrupted, paid break... I worked in grocery, that shit ain't happening. So they started scheduling me for 4 hrs max, and then it was just easier to hire an adult that didn't have such limitations. So i started getting like 4 hrs a day on the weekend.... it sucked.
    Last edited by Onikaroshi; 2019-06-24 at 07:56 PM.

  13. #673
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Depends on the system, ESRB (US) rates video games M for mature (17+) or A for adult only (18+), PEGI (EU) rates the games as PEGI 3/7/12/16/18...

    ...and I quote "retailers now have to legally follow the Pegi (Pan-European Game Information) system, which gives games age ratings of 12, 16 and 18. Any shops that sell games to kids under the age limit could be prosecuted.", so this entire "parents are 100% responsible!" is utterly pointless, because the regulation is already there, it's all a matter if loot boxes should be covered by it or not.

    I don't know about ESRB, but I believe that PEGI is leaving the issue to be handled by the gambling commissions.



    Holy shit, some one who also ignores the fact that you don't need a credit card! =P
    ESRB needs to step on it around here, because if the US gov't gets involved its going to be nothing but pain for the gaming companies and gamers alike. Entire reason the ESRB was even created was to self police and keep the gov't the fuck out of video games because the way they would have solved violent games would have been bad.

    I see no issue if the loot boxes automatically bump ratings up though, most parents ignore the ratings but then if something happens its on them.

  14. #674
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Depends on the system, ESRB (US) rates video games M for mature (17+) or A for adult only (18+), PEGI (EU) rates the games as PEGI 3/7/12/16/18...

    ...and I quote "retailers now have to legally follow the Pegi (Pan-European Game Information) system, which gives games age ratings of 12, 16 and 18. Any shops that sell games to kids under the age limit could be prosecuted.", so this entire "parents are 100% responsible!" is utterly pointless, because the regulation is already there, it's all a matter if loot boxes should be covered by it or not.

    I don't know about ESRB, but I believe that PEGI is leaving the issue to be handled by the gambling commissions.
    ESRB is actually kind of a joke compared to PEGI and CERO. CERO does all ages, 12, 15, 17 and 18 in their ratings. ESRB has some weird ass void where Uncharted in which you literally shoot people in the head with guns somehow gets a T rating, the same as games like Final Fantasy or Zelda that have really tame violence in comparison. Also lots of M rated games that could use those 15/16 ratings instead of M like say Persona 5 which literally has a handful of curse words and a few scenes with bikinis in it... M rating tho lol, teenager would see worse in a teen drama on netflix.

  15. #675
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    ESRB is actually kind of a joke compared to PEGI and CERO. CERO does all ages, 12, 15, 17 and 18 in their ratings. ESRB has some weird ass void where Uncharted in which you literally shoot people in the head with guns somehow gets a T rating, the same as games like Final Fantasy or Zelda that have really tame violence in comparison. Also lots of M rated games that could use those 15/16 ratings instead of M like say Persona 5 which literally has a handful of curse words and a few scenes with bikinis in it... M rating tho lol, teenager would see worse in a teen drama on netflix.
    the US always has gaps, you look at some old movies before pg-13 was added (think the first pg-13 movie released was red dawn iirc) and there was pg movies with nudity and f bombs.

    We could definitely use like a 15 or 16 rating.
    Last edited by Onikaroshi; 2019-06-24 at 08:23 PM.

  16. #676
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Yawn, the usual excuses that have been proven wrong multiple times in this thread and do nothing to solve the problem.

    Let's make crack legal- what's the problem? Just don't buy it!

    Regulation exists for a reason, and government only steps in when the industry fails to properly regulate itself. If it comes to that they have no one to blame but themselves.
    It's hardly corporations fault for people having no self control. If you spend £30 for example trying to get a skin or some shit, you deserve to be conned frankly.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Depends on the system, ESRB (US) rates video games M for mature (17+) or A for adult only (18+), PEGI (EU) rates the games as PEGI 3/7/12/16/18...

    ...and I quote "retailers now have to legally follow the Pegi (Pan-European Game Information) system, which gives games age ratings of 12, 16 and 18. Any shops that sell games to kids under the age limit could be prosecuted.", so this entire "parents are 100% responsible!" is utterly pointless, because the regulation is already there, it's all a matter if loot boxes should be covered by it or not.

    I don't know about ESRB, but I believe that PEGI is leaving the issue to be handled by the gambling commissions.



    Holy shit, some one who also ignores the fact that you don't need a credit card! =P
    What are you talking about? If you don't have a card on the platform how could you by lootboxes?

  17. #677
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    What are you talking about? If you don't have a card on the platform how could you by lootboxes?
    PS, Xbox, battle.net, etc. all have physical cards you can buy to add money. You don't need a CC

  18. #678
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    I would classify loot boxes as online gambling as you're playing a game of chance with money for a potential gain, whether it's cosmetic or not.
    And a law making mechanics like that illegal would also make the following illegal:
    - TCG's
    - Kinder Surprise
    - Any monthly loot crates
    - Dollar Store kids surprise bags
    - Seal tokens in WoW
    - Arguably RNG drops in WoW.

    And the list can go on. It's why laws need to be very precise.


    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    Why? Because there's no arguing that people become addicted to the results.
    There is indeed no arguing that some people can become addicted to the results. There is however complete leeway to argue that it gives reason for banning. As has been brought up before several times in this thread there is a laundry list of things that are addictive. Many of them are not banned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    Honestly, I couldn't see why anyone would support this method beyond tinfoil hats going "Well what else will the government do?!?".
    Because there are lot of other solutions besides the outright ban? Because history has shown that government regulation can be ineffective? Or have unintended consequences? Because companies can often find quick loopholes around poorly thought out hastily implemented legislation?w

    The fact you can only see one reason why someone could be against this shows a lack of understanding of the issue.

  19. #679
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    PS, Xbox, battle.net, etc. all have physical cards you can buy to add money. You don't need a CC
    That goes against my original point - there's no way you can "accidentally" buy lootboxes

  20. #680
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    That goes against my original point - there's no way you can "accidentally" buy lootboxes
    I don't think anyone is arguing that, its moreso kids not understanding what gambling and money are really just getting the rush from "winning" something, idk, I don't really care either way, I just don't want the gov't involved.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •