Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly3685 View Post
    If it's net income 800 is pushing full time on minimum wage, gross would still be close to 30 hr/wk assuming we're talking about the US.
    I thought so, and with labor laws the way they are, ain't no kid pushing 30h/wk. I was lucky to get 8 during school and 15 in the summer because MI child labor laws SUCKED.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Sorry for resurfacing this...

So, since lootboxes are now a dirty word, EA is trying to sidestep the issue by simply renaming the system as "surprise mechanics". Also unlike lootboxes, this system is apparently "ethical".
    Jesus Christ, everytime I see or hear Jim Sterling I immediately thank the heavens that I do not look or sound like Jim Sterling

- - - Updated - - -

Loot boxes exist because people buy them. The solution is simple - don't let your kid have access to your card (or don't be a shit parent and actually spend time with them), and if you're an adult - never buy lootboxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I thought so, and with labor laws the way they are, ain't no kid pushing 30h/wk. I was lucky to get 8 during school and 15 in the summer because MI child labor laws SUCKED.
    I'm sure it varies state to state. I have no idea what they are locally anymore. When I started working at 16 I could pull 40 hr/wk in retail without breaking any labor laws. Not that I always got that many.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Loot boxes exist because people buy them. The solution is simple - don't let your kid have access to your card (or don't be a shit parent and actually spend time with them), and if you're an adult - never buy lootboxes.
    Yawn, the usual excuses that have been proven wrong multiple times in this thread and do nothing to solve the problem.

Let's make crack legal- what's the problem? Just don't buy it!

Regulation exists for a reason, and government only steps in when the industry fails to properly regulate itself. If it comes to that they have no one to blame but themselves.

Jesus Christ, everytime I see or hear Jim Sterling I immediately thank the heavens that I do not look or sound like Jim Sterling

- - - Updated - - -

Holy shit, someone who understands!

I'm sure it varies state to state. I have no idea what they are locally anymore. When I started working at 16 I could pull 40 hr/wk in retail without breaking any labor laws. Not that I always got that many.
    I was doing 30-40 originally then the changed it so that if a minor worked over 4 hours they needed at 1hr uninterrupted, paid break... I worked in grocery, that shit ain't happening. So they started scheduling me for 4 hrs max, and then it was just easier to hire an adult that didn't have such limitations. So i started getting like 4 hrs a day on the weekend.... it sucked.
    Last edited by Onikaroshi; 2019-06-24 at 07:56 PM.

Small nitpick, its 17+ :P always confused the fuck out of me because I could buy an M rated game by myself at 17... but couldn't rent one because Family Video required you to be 18.... lol
    Depends on the system, ESRB (US) rates video games M for mature (17+) or A for adult only (18+), PEGI (EU) rates the games as PEGI 3/7/12/16/18...

...and I quote "retailers now have to legally follow the Pegi (Pan-European Game Information) system, which gives games age ratings of 12, 16 and 18. Any shops that sell games to kids under the age limit could be prosecuted.", so this entire "parents are 100% responsible!" is utterly pointless, because the regulation is already there, it's all a matter if loot boxes should be covered by it or not.

I don't know about ESRB, but I believe that PEGI is leaving the issue to be handled by the gambling commissions.

Holy shit, some one who also ignores the fact that you don't need a credit card! =P

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Depends on the system, ESRB (US) rates video games M for mature (17+) or A for adult only (18+), PEGI (EU) rates the games as PEGI 3/7/12/16/18...

...and I quote "retailers now have to legally follow the Pegi (Pan-European Game Information) system, which gives games age ratings of 12, 16 and 18. Any shops that sell games to kids under the age limit could be prosecuted.", so this entire "parents are 100% responsible!" is utterly pointless, because the regulation is already there, it's all a matter if loot boxes should be covered by it or not.

I don't know about ESRB, but I believe that PEGI is leaving the issue to be handled by the gambling commissions.

Holy shit, some one who also ignores the fact that you don't need a credit card! =P
    ESRB needs to step on it around here, because if the US gov't gets involved its going to be nothing but pain for the gaming companies and gamers alike. Entire reason the ESRB was even created was to self police and keep the gov't the fuck out of video games because the way they would have solved violent games would have been bad.

I see no issue if the loot boxes automatically bump ratings up though, most parents ignore the ratings but then if something happens its on them.

ESRB is actually kind of a joke compared to PEGI and CERO. CERO does all ages, 12, 15, 17 and 18 in their ratings. ESRB has some weird ass void where Uncharted in which you literally shoot people in the head with guns somehow gets a T rating, the same as games like Final Fantasy or Zelda that have really tame violence in comparison. Also lots of M rated games that could use those 15/16 ratings instead of M like say Persona 5 which literally has a handful of curse words and a few scenes with bikinis in it... M rating tho lol, teenager would see worse in a teen drama on netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    ESRB is actually kind of a joke compared to PEGI and CERO. CERO does all ages, 12, 15, 17 and 18 in their ratings. ESRB has some weird ass void where Uncharted in which you literally shoot people in the head with guns somehow gets a T rating, the same as games like Final Fantasy or Zelda that have really tame violence in comparison. Also lots of M rated games that could use those 15/16 ratings instead of M like say Persona 5 which literally has a handful of curse words and a few scenes with bikinis in it... M rating tho lol, teenager would see worse in a teen drama on netflix.
    the US always has gaps, you look at some old movies before pg-13 was added (think the first pg-13 movie released was red dawn iirc) and there was pg movies with nudity and f bombs.

We could definitely use like a 15 or 16 rating.
    Last edited by Onikaroshi; 2019-06-24 at 08:23 PM.

ESRB needs to step on it around here, because if the US gov't gets involved its going to be nothing but pain for the gaming companies and gamers alike. Entire reason the ESRB was even created was to self police and keep the gov't the fuck out of video games because the way they would have solved violent games would have been bad.

I see no issue if the loot boxes automatically bump ratings up though, most parents ignore the ratings but then if something happens its on them.
    Exactly, it doesn't even really has to bump the ratings (even if in my opinion it should) but as long as they state that the game contains microtransactions in the form of "surprise mechanics", it's enough to put away the lack of information excuse.

Yawn, the usual excuses that have been proven wrong multiple times in this thread and do nothing to solve the problem.

Let's make crack legal- what's the problem? Just don't buy it!

Regulation exists for a reason, and government only steps in when the industry fails to properly regulate itself. If it comes to that they have no one to blame but themselves.
    It's hardly corporations fault for people having no self control. If you spend £30 for example trying to get a skin or some shit, you deserve to be conned frankly.

- - - Updated - - -

What are you talking about? If you don't have a card on the platform how could you by lootboxes?

What are you talking about? If you don't have a card on the platform how could you by lootboxes?
    PS, Xbox, battle.net, etc. all have physical cards you can buy to add money. You don't need a CC

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    I would classify loot boxes as online gambling as you're playing a game of chance with money for a potential gain, whether it's cosmetic or not.
    And a law making mechanics like that illegal would also make the following illegal:
    - TCG's
    - Kinder Surprise
    - Any monthly loot crates
    - Dollar Store kids surprise bags
    - Seal tokens in WoW
    - Arguably RNG drops in WoW.

And the list can go on. It's why laws need to be very precise.

Why? Because there's no arguing that people become addicted to the results.
    There is indeed no arguing that some people can become addicted to the results. There is however complete leeway to argue that it gives reason for banning. As has been brought up before several times in this thread there is a laundry list of things that are addictive. Many of them are not banned.

Honestly, I couldn't see why anyone would support this method beyond tinfoil hats going "Well what else will the government do?!?".
    Because there are lot of other solutions besides the outright ban? Because history has shown that government regulation can be ineffective? Or have unintended consequences? Because companies can often find quick loopholes around poorly thought out hastily implemented legislation?w

The fact you can only see one reason why someone could be against this shows a lack of understanding of the issue.

PS, Xbox, battle.net, etc. all have physical cards you can buy to add money. You don't need a CC
    That goes against my original point - there's no way you can "accidentally" buy lootboxes

That goes against my original point - there's no way you can "accidentally" buy lootboxes
    I don't think anyone is arguing that, its moreso kids not understanding what gambling and money are really just getting the rush from "winning" something, idk, I don't really care either way, I just don't want the gov't involved.

I'm certainly no fan of loot boxes, but I don't see any reason the government should be involved in whether or not you can purchase them. I also see no reason why gambling should be illegal. If dumb people want to throw all their money in the toilet, let them.

"The solution is simple - don't let your kid have access to your card"

I'm merely pointing out that you don't require one to purchase them, for awhile now, also you said nothing about doing it "accidentally".

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Cool, nice to know we're still blaming the wrong people here.
    that was obvious sarcasm ?

- - - Updated - - -

its joke because usa standards for violence is different than most world (except brazil i think), in usa it is far more acceptable to see blood and gore and guns and head explode but dear god if u see a female nipple from a girl who got blown up by a mine, she must keep her clothes while blown to pieces
    it has been mocked many times by americans themselves, but it still the same, society there accept violence far easier than rest of world while they are far more aggressive against nudity, still better than other countries like any 3rd world country for start

- - - Updated - - -

It's not fucking rocket science. Neither is raising kids.
    as someone who is follow space news since ever, and also raised kids, I can safely say rocket science is far easier than raising a single kid
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

"The solution is simple - don't let your kid have access to your card"

I'm merely pointing out that you don't require one to purchase them, for awhile now, also you said nothing about doing it "accidentally".
    But that was clear in my point - why be pedantic if you knew what my point was?