Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    I doubt the PS4 took a 50% dip in sales. No doubt that the PS4 and Xbox One are nearing hardware saturation, but at the same time the Xbox One doesn't have any worth while exclusives. So if something broke on the Xbox One, I'd imagine those people would switch to PC, PS4, or even Switch.
    PS4 hardware sales are also took a hit in Q1. Sony announced as such. Now you're shifting goalposts from people quitting AAA to just chasing exclusives on other hardware? Stick to an argument.

PC revenue, but what about sales? Revenue doesn't equal growth. You could have less players who just so happen to spend more in micro-transactions. You know, like whales.
    Well they don't state it in their quarterly reports, but for FY2018, their MAU was up 16%. So they are showing both revenue and growth. You would know this if you even bothered to do two minutes of checking yourself.

Do I need to citation something that's been all over the news since Blizzard fired 800 employee's and oddly enough is now looking to rehire for those positions? Though lately I hear there's been a recent increase in subscribers for WoW since the release of 8.2 and Classic is around the corner.
    You do when you clearly only read half the release and are making statements that directly contradict information that has been publicly released. But that's how this whole discussion has gone. Instead of actual facts you just use personal opinion and second hand summaries.

Seven years compared to nearly four decades of gamers? You don't see tablet users harking back to when Super Mario bros didn't have loot boxes. It's a very new market relatively. Especially when you consider that for the past several years the price of tablets and smart phones have gotten cheap enough that children can have their own. Most PC and console gamers are adults and have enough experience to know a time period when games didn't have micro-transactions and loot boxes, while tablet users can't remember when they paid for a game but aren't upset about buying micro-transactions.
    You really need to educate yourself on the demographics of gamers. The vast majority of all gamers (70%+), regardless of platform are adults. So please stop trying to peddle bullshit that it is simply "inexperienced" people who are the only ones buying MTX.

Revenue but a nearly dead player base. WoW is full of whales. Did these whales make as much money as when there was 12 million subscribers?
    Do you honestly believe that Blizzard could have retained 12 million subscribers indefinitely, something no video game release outside of China has done, ever?

Like Assassin's Creed Odyssey with low sales but the micro-transactions might have made up for it and then some, but is that the same thing as Red Dead Redemption 2's 24 million sales? Probably not.
    Low sales compared to what, exactly? Oddyssey outsold Unity, Syndicate and Origins. So in terms of the franchise, it's a success. Did it do better than the best selling game of the year, of course not. But if that's your metric, than every other game failed.

Guy posts on forum and therefore debunks video. What makes you more correct?
    It doesn't. It just goes to show how paper thin your argument is. Your backup for your argument is an opinion of a random group of people with zero factual backup. I've repeatedly linked you actual data that counters your number, and you keep coming back with random opinions and "feelings" of how things should be.

Shadow of War is one example. There's the whole Star Wars Battlefront II fiasco. Pretty sure everyone forgot about Anthem by now.
    Unless I'm mistaken, Shadow of War, Battlefront II and Anthem weren't made by Activision. I'm really tired of chasing your goalposts.

*snip*
    Not bothering to watch anymore videos from you after that complete waste of time of the last one. It's probably just another random person giving their opinion on Youtube. Not giving them the clicks.

Not talking about the age of the market here, but the consumers. People on mobile devices are not experienced gamers and aren't going to fight back micro-transactions because they're used to mobile games having them. But at some point they won't be. Same thing happened to console and PC gamers, but we noticed how these micro-transactions and loot boxes effect game mechanics.
    I'll say it again. CITATION NEEDED. Can you show me that the average mobile gamer has only ever played mobile games? And your "children are huge" on mobile, is again, absolute bullshit. You clearly have absolutely no understandings of the actual market demographics.

That's financially impossible. You can't make a good game with loot boxes and micro-transactions. That's like cats and dogs living together. If the game is good then nobody will buy from the in game store. But if the game is just barely enjoyable, then people will go after the in game store.
    That's an incredibly bold and entirely inaccurate statement, with zero to back it up other than your opinion. I can easily disprove your statement just with personal experience. There are some games with MTX that I specifically bought the MTX for them because I enjoyed the game. So clearly not impossible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    PS4 hardware sales are also took a hit in Q1. Sony announced as such. Now you're shifting goalposts from people quitting AAA to just chasing exclusives on other hardware? Stick to an argument.
    Well yea. Xbox One doesn't have good exclusives and the PS4 has God of War, SpiderMan, Bloodborne, Last of Us, and etc. All exclusives without micro-transactions, just like Nintendo titles on the Switch. It seems it's the 3rd party AAA developers who are big into micro-transactions/Loot Boxes. But 50% less hardware sales for Xbox One is a huge overall decline in the market and shows that gamers are focused on games that aren't micro-transaction infused. Gamers are either jumping on the PS4/Switch for the exclusives that lack these monetization systems or they don't game at all or they play older games.

Well they don't state it in their quarterly reports, but for FY2018, their MAU was up 16%. So they are showing both revenue and growth. You would know this if you even bothered to do two minutes of checking yourself.
    So what are the sales if they're showing both revenue and growth? Companies will do many things to show their business is healthy.

You really need to educate yourself on the demographics of gamers. The vast majority of all gamers (70%+), regardless of platform are adults. So please stop trying to peddle bullshit that it is simply "inexperienced" people who are the only ones buying MTX.
    And what about the mobile market? I know gamers on PC/Xbox/PS are mostly adults, but that explains why micro-transactions are getting resistance on these platforms. Fallout 76 doesn't have a very different formula to mobile games but look how well that played out. The mobile market is the one full of children.

Do you honestly believe that Blizzard could have retained 12 million subscribers indefinitely, something no video game release outside of China has done, ever?
    No but right now they barely have 1 million. When you get too greedy you lose everything. That's the rule of life.
    Low sales compared to what, exactly? Oddyssey outsold Unity, Syndicate and Origins. So in terms of the franchise, it's a success. Did it do better than the best selling game of the year, of course not. But if that's your metric, than every other game failed.
    CITATION NEEDED

Unless I'm mistaken, Shadow of War, Battlefront II and Anthem weren't made by Activision. I'm really tired of chasing your goalposts.
    Destiny both 1 & 2, Black Ops 4 disappoint in profits from Activisions perspective, and now you have Apex Legends.

That's an incredibly bold and entirely inaccurate statement, with zero to back it up other than your opinion. I can easily disprove your statement just with personal experience. There are some games with MTX that I specifically bought the MTX for them because I enjoyed the game. So clearly not impossible.
    You aren't the entire gaming market. I like A Hat in Time and bought it, doesn't mean everyone did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, If I had a kid he would either:
    A) Not have access to my credit card
    B) Can earn his own cash and spend it on 'lulboxes' if he so desires.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious if that success came from ditching the core fan base.. The last 2 games have been very much RPGs first, and AC games second. Which is a downside if you ask me, and I honestly just haven't played them, because if I wanted an RPG there are ones that I think just look better.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I'm curious if that success came from ditching the core fan base.. The last 2 games have been very much RPGs first, and AC games second. Which is a downside if you ask me, and I honestly just haven't played them, because if I wanted an RPG there are ones that I think just look better.
    If you ask me - it is for the better, i have been a fan of old AC games - my favorite one was AC Syndicate. But the whole *Assassins vs Templars* concept got boring after so many games, so if they just named the current game Odyssey and deleted all the AC connections - it still would be good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember when I was a Kid, mom would give me her credit card and say "now you can only spend this much or you can only use this one time and then give it back". So what I would do is just write down all the numbers on the card (including the 3 digit on the back) and give it back to her and say "Thanks mom , your the best". Then whenever I wanted something I would plan it out when MOM would spend money (like bills or grocery's ,something) and shuffle in something I wanted off of ebay or amazon. So when she got the bill most times it would just be over looked and if it wasn't I would say something like , those damn credit card ppl messed it up again. Then when the package arrived in the mail it was easy to make up an excuse for that, like my guild buddy's sent me something again (parents don't know). Good times, Good times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Popastique View Post
    If you ask me - it is for the better, i have been a fan of old AC games - my favorite one was AC Syndicate. But the whole *Assassins vs Templars* concept got boring after so many games, so if they just named the current game Odyssey and deleted all the AC connections - it still would be good.
    I'd argue it would be a better game because it wouldn't be held down by the fucking retarded "current time" plotlines, or the frankly quite boring stealth mechanics. Throw it all out and start over on a new IP, that people don't come in and expect one thing and then they get a completely other thing.

But then they wouldn't be able to rake in money on the name, so won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I'd argue it would be a better game because it wouldn't be held down by the fucking retarded "current time" plotlines, or the frankly quite boring stealth mechanics. Throw it all out and start over on a new IP, that people don't come in and expect one thing and then they get a completely other thing.

But then they wouldn't be able to rake in money on the name, so won't happen.
    True - i do not give two f***s about current time plotlines, they are useless pretty much and are a negative point of Odyssey. Stealth mechanics depends on the person - i like that gameplay, someone doesn't
    And yes, a new IP would mean that old fans would be cautious, while old IP guarantees money even if the game fails at some point.
    Still - Odyssey is a great game, but not AC game. And i agree they should drop AC in the title.

10+ Year Old Account
    Launch sales is not the same as sales. Especially when Red Dead Redemption 2 was just around the corner and probably impacted sales. What are the sales to date?

Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    Well, If I had a kid he would either:
    A) Not have access to my credit card
    B) Can earn his own cash and spend it on 'lulboxes' if he so desires.
    You've sort of missed the point.

Big companies actively encouraging dangerous behavior in their customers, some of whom they know will be children, to make more money is incredibly unethical.

This isn't limited to games either. In the UK, pro-sports (especially football) has become completely entwined with the betting industry. Watching games is like being constantly assaulted by a betting companies marketing department.