Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Your Favourite Genre of Video Game

Okay, this is basically a reverse of the other thread.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...of-Video-Games

What are genres you are a sucker for or really like when it comes to video games.

For me, you could say RTS was a favourite, it;s a dead genre now, but back in the day, whenever a RTS game came out you bet it peaked my interest.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

MMORPG
    JRPG
    Action
    Adventure
    RTS
    Driving (Arcade not simulator)

10+ Year Old Account
    Action RPGs (Kingdom Hearts, Tales series)

Action/adventure (Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn)

Sidescrolling action/platformers (Contra, Metal Slug, Castlevania, Megaman, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario)

Third person shooters (Gears of War, Ghost Recon)

3D adventure/platforming (Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper)

Beat 'em ups (TMNT Turtles in Time, Double Dragon)

Don't know what the genre is, but Titanfall 2 is a game I really loved!
    The movement and speed of the multiplayer modes was sooo much fun!

Just sad that it didn't last very long..

I only play multiplayer games, and stop when the hype is over - Except from WoW and Counter Strike.
    WoW is a mediocre game to me, but I put 3000+ hours into that... But I keep taking breaks from it to play other games.

Strategy games like the Total War serie, company of heroes, dawn of war etc etc.

CRPG's is my favorite rpg's games like Pillars of Eternity, Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Baldurs Gate.

Horror games.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of overlap in these genres:

Action/Adventure
    Sidescrollers
    Platformers
    RPG
    Story/Choices Matter
    Puzzle
    Dungeon crawlers

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

My favorite genre of Video Games are that don't involve DLC, cash-shops, and occasionally P2W mechanics.

I love a great deal of genre's, otherwise:

RPG
    JRPG
    Strategy
    Platformers
    Sports
    Action
    Adventure
    Puzzle

Add a way to monetize my genre's (beyond initial cost) and watch my opinion go way down for specific games .. even if I do like those genre's.

Put my favorite games on mobile, and watch my opinion of an entire company deteriorate.

Put a really good game partially (or all) on digital, watch me /spit on said company.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2019-06-29 at 01:09 AM.

Is there any like me here who just like certain games from various genres not the genres themselves. I really like StarCraft but would never play C&C. I really like Dragon Quest XI and would not touch any of Final Fantasy games. These are some examples. I also have also put stupid amount of time in MMORPG but it's only 2 which are Ragnarok(when I was very young.) and WoW. Could not really say I like MMORPG.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2019-06-29 at 04:48 AM.

RPGs. They're basically all I play and all I enjoy playing. I play JRPGS to western RPGs.

I consider story games RPGs, too, and I enjoy those as well. Examples: Indigo Prophecy, The Walking Dead, Life is Strange, Until Dawn.

I don't mind racing games from time to time.

Other than that, I don't really like too many other genres.

The only MMO's I've ever played are Rift, WoW, FFXI and FFXIV. I'll probably keep it that way.

RPGs, hands down.

Past that FPS and RTS games.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2019-06-29 at 05:16 AM.

I guess the three most common genres for me would be first person shooters, role playing games, and horror, but really anything with a good story or balanced multiplayer has at least a chance to catch my eye.

Point and click. Monkey Island, Broken Sword,...

15+ Year Old Account
    MMORPG
    Strategy
    Simulation

Not only are those my favourite, but the only genres I play.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

rpgs, platformers and shooters.
    combine them for greater effect.

So,. warframe and pretty much any metroidvania.

FPS shooters is my favorite genre (CS 1,3 -> GO, PUBG and Apex), closely followed by action/adventure games.

Even though I probably have more hours in WoW then all the FPS shooters and action/adventure games combined, I'm not much fan of MMORPG's. WoW is the first, and most likely the last MMORPG that I will enjoy.

15+ Year Old Account
    RTS (mostly older games) and TBS.
    Also a big fan of 4x and Grand Strategy.

10+ Year Old Account
    These days really the only games I get excited for a 3rd person action/adventure games, ones with a solid story. Games along the lines of God of War, Uncharted, Spider-Man on PS4, and the new Tomb Raider games. Really liked The Witcher 3 because that was pretty much the same type of game just with some more RPG elements tossed in.

I used to play a lot more RPGs (especially JRPGs) but find I just don't have the time to play through them these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Is there any like me here who just like certain games from various genres not the genres themselves. I really like StarCraft but would never play C&C. I really like Dragon Quest XI and would not touch any of Final Fantasy games. These are some examples. I also have also put stupid amount of time in MMORPG but it's only 2 which are Ragnarok(when I was very young.) and WoW. Could not really say I like MMORPG.
    Out of curiosity, why do you avoid Final Fantasy games? I mean, the newer ones are pretty trash, but FFIV-FFX were all pretty fantastic and quite similar to DQXI.

Out of curiosity, why do you avoid Final Fantasy games? I mean, the newer ones are pretty trash, but FFIV-FFX were all pretty fantastic and quite similar to DQXI.
    I despise its theme and art style.

10+ Year Old Account
    crpg would have to be mine.
    also rts's and sandbox building type games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    My favorite genre of Video Games are that don't involve DLC, cash-shops, and occasionally P2W mechanics.

I love a great deal of genre's, otherwise:

RPG
    JRPG
    Strategy
    Platformers
    Sports
    Action
    Adventure
    Puzzle

Add a way to monetize my genre's (beyond initial cost) and watch my opinion go way down for specific games .. even if I do like those genre's.

Put my favorite games on mobile, and watch my opinion of an entire company deteriorate.

Put a really good game partially (or all) on digital, watch me /spit on said company.
    so basically you hate any attempt to add extra content to your game for a small payment?
    you do realize it's not 2004 anymore?
    i can understand day one dlc but really hating ANY dlc?
    you do realize the old EXPANSION PACK model is NEVER COMING BACK? it's DEAD.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2019-06-30 at 06:36 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.