Ferals - opinions on current performance?

Hi all,

I've only recently rerolled to Druid from my DH (partially rerolled) and have been playing Balance/Resto for the most part but have been looking at Feral a fair bit and was curious how they actually performed.

I've heard a lot recently that they're "worse Rogues" is this statement true, or is that just rumors spread by tilted players?

Rogues have more utilities then feral but do about the same damage, if you aren't pushing world first keys or bosses then its a good class to play. That being said it is also a punishing class to play where if you screw up your blood talons rotation you screw up your damage, I have a few friends that play feral that will parse around 20-45pct and complain about the class being bad after getting benched in raid progression. Its gonna be hard and up to you to learn the spec. Wow logs will help with that if you really want to learn the spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently, Ferals are doing considerable sustained single-target damage and were given some tools this patch to not be dead weight in AoE.

The problem is that the way Ferals are designed right now everything we do is sustained damage. We have arguably the absolute worst damage cooldown in the game so we quite literally have no burst. This means that any encounter that favors burst sees us drop further and further away from other classes. For this reason, a raid like Uldir is horrible for us and we perform terribly there. It also means that we are not a highly valued spec for content like Mythic+.

For PvP Ferals are pretty strong. Even though we don't have super high kill potential we still do tons of damage so we fit into a lot of rot comps and popular comps like Jungle. Our off-healing is still quite good. We aren't the best at survivability though so expect a lot of comps to focus you down.

Gameplay-wise Feral is very much a slow and calculated spec. You're actively doing a lot, but you're not pushed into doing it all quickly. Ferals prefer to pool resources and spend them wisely. So if you like thinking ahead and being challenged to not make any mistakes then Feral is a fun spec to play. Definitely a maintenance spec where you will need to manage resources, buffs and debuffs properly.

As for comparing us to Rogues, I've always found that to be an odd thing to do. We share energy and combo points but that's about it. In terms of usefulness though...well, yeah. People are going to want a Rogue. They simply bring more than we do in most situations.

I think we’re in a pretty good spot and I agree with a lot of the points Aiko makes in her post.

But I do believe that our burst potential is greater than it has been. This has to do with Mastery now buffing Ferocious Bite, SbT+SotF and our Azerite traits. If you use SbT+SotF, Wild Fleshrending, the trait connected to Tiger’s Fury (which adds crit when TF is up and prolongs the duration of the buff) and you have a decent amount of Matery, you actually end up with Shreds which do damage and some strong bites during Berserk. I’m not saying we’re anywhere near other dps specs when they pop their CDs, but it’s gotten better.

Berserk still sucks, ofc. Blizzard should either give it a straight up damage buff or shorten the CD to 2 minutes. Or both. Shortening the CD to 2 minutes would make it easier to balance with other spec’s CDs, the on-use trinkets and the different boss fights.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, I feel like WFR is a dead build. It's not as powerful as it was before 8.1. I'm also super sad to have lost PotM, and no matter how many times I try it I can't make Incarn work. I think my guild's kill times are just too high now. I just can't compete.

Well, except Fetid. I destroy everyone on that fight.

It kinda sucks, feels like I'm locked into a single build and it completely lacks any burst. Hopefully getting that extra azerite ring helps.

Ferals 'aight for any content at this point, including hall of fame. There are better options for x or y utility reason but that doesn't mean it's not good enough to push 20's or cutting edge. It'd just be a little easier with other classes

Ferals as it stands i feel re fine DPS wise, single target and AOE, we are no gods ofc but we can do fairly well. My only issue is the playstyle.. the loss of savage roar and just spamming ferocious bite to me is down right boring. I want my super strong bleeds back with calculated FBs "Oh do i have time to get my 5points back to DR/Rip or do i wait" I miss the old wotlk mangle /SR play style, but i can imagine a lot of people wont lol. Having SR as a talent just super upsets me and useing brutal slash single target makes me grind my teeth with displeasure... take awau scent of blood and readd a single target talent there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyzhi View Post
    Ferals as it stands i feel re fine DPS wise, single target and AOE, we are no gods ofc but we can do fairly well. My only issue is the playstyle.. the loss of savage roar and just spamming ferocious bite to me is down right boring. I want my super strong bleeds back with calculated FBs "Oh do i have time to get my 5points back to DR/Rip or do i wait" I miss the old wotlk mangle /SR play style, but i can imagine a lot of people wont lol. Having SR as a talent just super upsets me and useing brutal slash single target makes me grind my teeth with displeasure... take awau scent of blood and readd a single target talent there.
    I also miss the positional requirements and the Mangle debuff juggling. Was fun and challenging!

Much love to the responses! Very informative thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Whitepaw View Post
    I also miss the positional requirements and the Mangle debuff juggling. Was fun and challenging!
    I know its what made me fall in love with the feral druid back in TBC when mangle was added, and even more so in wrath... dont think we see those glory days again tho :P