Poll: Should Holy get a rework?

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Should Holy get a Rework?

As it stands Holy paladins are not in a good place in terms of gameplay, there's nothing interesting or exciting about holy anymore, as all the fun toys that Legion brought with it is gone, thus making it the least enjoyable healing spec in the game (IMHO).

Do you agree? Should holy get a rework and if so Why/why not?

Yes, and the ret would not be bad

I like the Legion Holy. Current one needs to be a little bit faster and some tuning, but overall it feels good. Avenging Crusader in PvE talents is fantstic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe Holy paladins should be more like melee Discipline priests. They should be healing directly, but a substantial amount of healing should be done through the damage the paladin inflicts to the enemy. Or even damage done to him. Make that plate armour mean something! And they certainly should gain more mobility. Their mastery is all about range, but they probably are the least mobile healer in the game.

Maybe they could get Holy power like Ret paladins from their dps abilities, but their Holy power spenders would be heals instead?
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Rework? would be nice, but Holy is not that bad. A better mastery? - yes. Proximity based % buffs are unenjoyable for me personally. It would make more sense if Holy had the toolset that would support that theme better, but I would rather not see Holy go down that road. Mistweavers are already more fun at Fistweaving(imo).

Maybe something could be added to the mastery. Like still provide the bonus heal to people standing further away, but convert it to heal over time. Just a thought.

Yes please.

I believe WoTLK Holy is the pinnacle of the spec. Today's spec is literally extremely dry and there's nothing interesting to be aware of - just spam heals all you can and pop defences when it goes wrong.

Hmmmm.... It is funny how I enjoyed both WOTLK and MOP holadins. (2 different worlds, yes. but still I enjoyed both)

Quote Originally Posted by ~Valen~ View Post
    Yes please.

I believe WoTLK Holy is the pinnacle of the spec. Today's spec is literally extremely dry and there's nothing interesting to be aware of - just spam heals all you can and pop defences when it goes wrong.
    Sure. Pinnacle of the spec. You literally put beacon on tanks and did nothing but spam Holy Light. Literally that's it.

Like it was literally spam holy light, with right gear and trinkets you couldn't OOM spamming Holy Light(the most expensive and highest HPS spell).

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Sure. Pinnacle of the spec. You literally put beacon on tanks and did nothing but spam Holy Light. Literally that's it.

Like it was literally spam holy light, with right gear and trinkets you couldn't OOM spamming Holy Light(the most expensive and highest HPS spell).
    Dunno about you, but I loved having to judge to maintain the buff, using divine plead, sacred shield, playing with the seals and, of course, having some useful buffs!

It wasn't just about raiding, but PvPing as well. Opinions are opinions though.

15+ Year Old Account
    More than a rework, it needs better balance, since being a single target healer, HL and FoL should be more powerful than they are on live to offset the eternal weakness of the spec.

Also, i would change a few things that come to my mind right now:

-Avenging Crusader should work with mastery, since you have to be at melee to use it.
    -Auras should be a little wider while not active due to Aura mastery.
    -Aura of sacrifice, instead of being a more situational devotion aura, the damage you redirect could be "stored" and when activated with aura mastery, you unleash that stored damage as a burst healing or a shield effect.
    -Martyr should interact in some way with IoL, maybe removing the health cost.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will say that i enjoyed Holy during MoP and Legion, i liked spreading around Eternal Flame in order to keep up your mastery, and Legion had a lot of cool artifact traits that had great synergy with some of our talents (such as Beacon of virtue).

It's my impression that holy is good in five mans, but lacking in raids, and they can't easily fix the latter without making them too strong in M+.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

I played holy paladin from vanila until mop when it got changed in a way i did not like,im pretty sure holy paladin has been the most changed healing spec,that or disc,by comparison resto shaman has had almost zero core gameplay changes,i liked holy pala in wotlk,i miss that holy light glyph but my favorite form of holy paladin was in cataclysm,near the end when you could spam holy radiance as at first it was just a 30 sec cd,but ever since mop i just didnt like the direction anymore

mastery is a disaster. but the main problem is that paladin is just a weaker healer comparing with druids, monks and priest, even in terms of single target healing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    Hmmmm.... It is funny how I enjoyed both WOTLK and MOP holadins. (2 different worlds, yes. but still I enjoyed both)
    For me, it was more Cata and MoP - Cata was basically just mana battery.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    It's my impression that holy is good in five mans, but lacking in raids, and they can't easily fix the latter without making them too strong in M+.
    I don't even think Holy is great in 5 mans. It's playable, certainly. You can get through M+ dungeons without major problems most of the time. On the other hand, I do think that I need to work much harder than other healers do in order to compete. Bosses with sustained AoE damage can be a major headache, bosses that require constant movement are also dangerous and to be at your most effective you want your group stacked on you.

Where Holy really shines is in it's cooldowns. You have lots of them to choose from and they're both more powerful and tend to have shorter cooldowns than other healers. That's the core of the issue really - It's a weak healer with strong cooldowns propping it up.

As for it if should get a rework, I'd lean more towards no. The current model, while flawed, isn't completely broken as a concept. It needs number tweaks more than complete overhauls.

Their design was no less shit in legion, they just looked more impressive on meters with rediculous amounts of beacon, judgement and sacrifice healing they did nothing to achieve. Beacon is and was one of the stupidest things ever added to the game.

Mastery is poop especially since it doesn't work with Avenging Crusader healing. In terms of HPS numbers, I think if Devo aura damage prevention were to somehow show, people would suddenly realize paladins are in a decent spot.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mastery is not fun as a stat and it isn't interesting. Quick brainstorm of a better mastery would be scale how much beacon spills. I'd also kinda like if it was more disc-like in that attacking helped heal in some way, more than just lowering the CD of holy shock. Also yeah, little lame that its just slow heal or fast heal, plus a spell you hope to god crits. Even talents like Bestow Faith aren't anything other than a heal that happens a few seconds from now. Feel like DPSing should help heal more than it does, mastery needs a rework, and spells other than Holy Shock need to have some sort of synergy with each other.

Edit: None of this is to say hpal isn't in a good place right now or not viable, etc. It's to say holy isn't fun. And I've been a hpal off and on for years(mostly ret and prot), getting sick of it around Legion and BFA.

15+ Year Old Account
    I loved healing as holy in Wotlk.
    Damn I really loved that healing.

/cries in a corner
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon