Page 1 of 53
... LastLast

Asmongold: "There is nothing fun left to do in this game anymore"

This made it to Reddit, a clip of Asmongold talking about the game:

https://clips.twitch.tv/FuriousPerfectDugongBIRB

He does add additional context in a comment: https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...thing/eaer9ws/

To add a bit more context to this clip, my concerns are about 50% BFA and 50% stream-specific.

What I mean by that is while BFA is still something that I play off-stream and even accidentally enjoy on occasion, it's not something that my audience seems to enjoy watching. This creates a pretty big disconnect between what content my audience likes and what I feel is creatively fulfilling.

While I love to do transmog contests, mount-offs, and other events, you can only do them so many times until you get bored. In Legion this was of course a problem but the difference was that many more people seemed to be intrinsically interested in content outside of contests because they were engaging in that same content themselves. In BFA I feel that a lot of my audience has lost interest with the game and conversely lost interest in consuming content that's centered around BFA.

This is compounded with the recent jump in popularity that I've had that literally more than doubled my metrics (viewers, followers, subscribers, etc). It put my stream in front of a lot of new faces, many of which don't even play WoW. In fact, according to my Twitch analytics, only 17% of my viewers have actively consumed WoW content on Twitch in the last 7 days. Because of that growth, it's caused me to make my content more accessible which leaves out a large swath of activities that novice and non-WoW players don't understand or appreciate (mythic raiding, high M+, high end arena, etc). It's easy for someone who doesn't play WoW to understand and follow along with a transmog contest but it's a lot harder for that same person to follow along with a M+15 Freehold.

I would also be lying if I didn't acknowledge that BFA itself is partly responsible for my disillusionment of the current game. It's shallow, dull, meaningless, and not fun. On a personal level, I do not enjoy playing my character. I don't find M+ fun at all, it's boring, repetitive, and mostly trash. I could go on and on but I'm sure anyone who's familiar with my content knows what I'm going to say.

It would take realistically 3 or 4 expansions for Blizzard to undo all of the mistakes and missteps they've made with the current game at this point and I fear that in the expansion after this, that number will go to 4 or 5 rather than 2 or 3. The developers are fundamentally disconnected with the playerbase on an emotional and psychological level which is what leads to the many instances of Ion explaining to us that we're having fun in the wrong way.

I don't think I'm ever going to stop streaming WoW, but I do think that I'll start streaming other games too. BFA has made that a clear necessity and also my own creative expression isn't fulfilled by just WoW streams anymore.
    In before the people that go "who?" or pretend like the number one streamer for the game on Twitch, who's audience only makes up of 17% of WoW players and therefore leaves potential for playerbase growth, saying these things isn't a damning condemnation of the game.

The takeaway is that Asmongold isn't having fun. Even when he's playing the game, his audience doesn't seem interested in it, providing even less of a reason to play it. And in his comments, he spells out plainly, if broadly, his issues with the game. The man is essentially free advertising for Blizzard. I'm not saying the game should be catered towards him, but look at it from the two perspectives: he personally isn't having fun, and his audience isn't interested in the game. It's not like another streamer who hates the game, but its popular, so they slough through it.

Take it for what it's worth, but even DLC is getting in on the action: http://www.darklegacycomics.com/656

Deleted
    Try warmode .

I see...guess I'm wrongfully enjoying it. Part from the azerite armor, which is just a bore compared to the artifact weapons, the game is good enough for me to keep playing casually, which I has since WOTLK. I was kinda impressed with the Blizzcon presentation, I'm sure there is more stuff coming soon enough.
    Mother pus bucket!

dont need asmongold(sp?) to tell me the game is shit. ive been saying that for quite some time. the direction they took w/ bfa they have been heading towards in baby steps for years now. they just ramped it up a notch with bfa is all.

but yea.

I mean to be fair, much of it was what the kids asked for. Whether they were unaware what they were requesting or not is partially relevant, but beyond the scope of my statement ;p

He won't stop streaming wow, because otherwise he will have to leave his mothers basement and get a real job. Can't have that.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

I much preferred Legion. I just don't feel very motivated to login anymore when i'm not raiding or doing my weekly mythic plus. Some times I login and just can't think of anything I actually want to do in game. Even the few people in guild who do login regularly outside of raids spend a lot of their time AFK in Boralus. I don't remember it being like this in Legion this early in the expansion.

I'd like to level a charactrer on the other faction to see the other side of the story but that would be a totally solo experience away from my guild so even that will feel a bit empty.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2018-11-25 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    He won't stop streaming wow, because otherwise he will have to leave his mothers basement and get a real job. Can't have that.
    He says his audience is only 17% WoW players. The audience comes for him, not the game, at this point.

He's going to play other games.

Don't hate successful people.

BFA just has no target audience. Nothing really satisfying or new for high-end players to enjoy, and not enough content outside of raiding for casuals to enjoy, as WQs/IEs/Warfronts are either not nearly rewarding enough or have very low replay ability. BFA is like a bad mix of Legion and WoD.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is this "creative expression" he is talking about? He is just streaming a game, that's not really creative.

The only thing that kept people motivated in legion was the allure of legendaries, take that away and i promise you that everyone who says "Legion was good" wouldn't be saying that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Come on, be fair. That's not an accurate reflection of his reality and an ugly stereotype.

It's his mother's attic.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

15+ Year Old Account
    I really think they need to start drip feeding us content now. Some new wqs every week. And island or 2 every 2 weeks. A warfront every month. A new dungeon every month. Keep raids at 6 months still though.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    I much preferred Legion. I just don't feel very motivated to login anymore when i'm not raiding or doing my weekly mythic plus. Some times I login and just can't think of anything I actually want to do in game. Even the few people in guild who do login regularly outside of raids spend a lot of their time AFK in Boralus. I don't remember it being like this in Legion this early in the expansion.

I'd like to level a charactrer on the other faction to see the other side of the story but that would be a totally solo experience away from my guild so even that will feel a bit empty.
    i actually like not having to/being compelled to play all the time like in legion. Not at the expense of the game itself though. Like in WoD. i was able to get bis on my toon, and if i didnt want to play an alt - i could log in to raid, and then log off to do other things. Legion was legit, wowowowowowow nonstop which also wasnt ideal for me at this point in my life.

Bfa, not wanting to play much is about the only good thing about it lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    His audience doesn't make up of 17% of WoW players, he said that only 17% of his subs have watched WoW content on Twitch in the last week.

Fairly sure everyone is fully aware of BFA's shortcomings, despite every person and streamer acting like they're the first person ever to pontificate on why this expansion has been disappointing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I mean he's right. I want to play WoW, but it seems outside of reset day there's fuck all to do. Hell, I don't even do BfA content on reset day unless we own Warfronts (In which case I'll kill the two rares that drop mounts that I haven't got yet).

I'd level, but I'm waiting for the 8.1 nerfs and by then my sub will have expired. And there's no point resubbing just for leveling.

There's no point in gearing, since all the gear will be rendered useless come 8.1 and I'm not interested in raiding anymore. Not to mention the fact that I'm more likely to get a downgrade than an upgrade when that gear finally does drop.

Drop chances in island expeditions are too damn low, even dubloons are pretty rare.

Mythic+ is boring and repetitive. I never liked it.

I'm exalted with all the reps on both Horde and Alliance. Paragon chests are a dumb system, so not doing them.

I'm basically back to doing what I was doing in 7.3.5 but without my speed set.

I was done with BfA's intro content in a month tops. It's like we've got WoD all over again but without the lucrative garrison and Ashran.

Whats worse than annoying streamers? Annoying fanboys who must bring the streamer up and defend the streamer at every thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    People was asmon for asmon, if he stopped playing WoW he would still be making more $$$ than you
    good to see the asmon squad is out in force.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Deleted
    Imagine posting this and revealing to the world that you're a mega dumbass that doesn't understand what's laid out for you.

Only 17% of his audience consumes WoW content regularly on Twitch. That means 83% aren't watching him to watch him play WoW. They would watch him play Hello Kitty, if that's what he wanted to play instead.

Asmon is a much smarter guy than he lets on via his on-stream "persona". The fact that he watches his analytics and uses those to tailor his stream while also providing a lot of insight for Blizzard and WoW fans into what's happening is proof that he's not just some drip that plays WoW and that's it.

Regardless of what you think about Asmon or his persona, it's a huge advertisement for WoW if he continues playing the game. If he stops playing it, he *might* lose 17% of his audience (the 17% that watch him for WoW). Blizzard loses a streamer that pushes WoW from 17k viewers to 40k viewers on Twitch.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2018-11-25 at 11:40 PM.

He is 100% correct.

WoD is better than BFA and i am not meming about it.

Quote Originally Posted by klepp0906 View Post
    i actually like not having to/being compelled to play all the time like in legion. Not at the expense of the game itself though. Like in WoD. i was able to get bis on my toon, and if i didnt want to play an alt - i could log in to raid, and then log off to do other things. Legion was legit, wowowowowowow nonstop which also wasnt ideal for me at this point in my life.

Bfa, not wanting to play much is about the only good thing about it lol.
    Yeah, but unlike wod, class design leaves much to be desired. In WoD you at least grew when you reached level 100, even if that is when the prune started. In Legion, you also grew, even with a ton of pruning, you did get a new ability, plus a whole bunch of other cool stuff with the artifact. Azerite is not nearly enough to justify not getting anything new while leveling, especially with so much removed from the artifacts.