Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
11
12
... LastLast
  1. #181
    Introducing ED

    I honestly can't tell if this is over the top to the point of annoying or not

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-0CF_Ch0DI

    In spoilers just in case

  2. #182
    I really enjoyed this. The anime fans were going to bitch no matter what but as its own thing I thought it was well done. It definitely has some rough spots but that's just a side effect of being adapted from an anime so that was always gonna be the case but it definitely handles it better than other live-action adaptations. Overall I'm excited for season 2.

    As for Ed I can't really judge them yet cause we only see them for a minute and Ed was always gonna be difficult to translate to live-action like Vicious. But unlike Vicious you can't get away with drastically changing Ed's character because they were a major part of the original show so it was always gonna be a lose-lose situation. Still, as long as they fix the way the character looks in season 2 I think it could be fine.

  3. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Introducing ED

    I honestly can't tell if this is over the top to the point of annoying or not

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-0CF_Ch0DI

    In spoilers just in case
    Above video properly spoiler tagged.
    Spoiler: 

  4. #184
    I thought the first episodes were sorta fine, I enjoyed some things while being totally unimpressed by others. The dialogue is not great. But tbh it really jumped the shark towards the end cause they expanded on Vicious (which worked better being mysterious) and fucking Julia. And yeah, Ed was cringe tier... was that the intention?
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2021-11-21 at 03:51 AM.

  5. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Above video properly spoiler tagged.
    Spoiler: 
    I thought the show was "ok" if its your first time ever seeing anything cowboy bebop..... but this part to me was all kinds of bad..

  6. #186
    Quote Originally Posted by Micfeind View Post
    I thought the show was "ok" if its your first time ever seeing anything cowboy bebop..... but this part to me was all kinds of bad..
    It was literally the final minute and honestly pretty faithful to the original. It's way too early to really judge the character.

  7. #187
    Started watching episode 1 last night and my initial thought was oof. They doubled down on Iron Fist casting actors who can’t fight.

    Rurouni Kenshin remains the only good Netflix adaptation

  8. #188
    Quote Originally Posted by Micfeind View Post
    I thought the show was "ok" if its your first time ever seeing anything cowboy bebop..... but this part to me was all kinds of bad..
    I haven’t watched it yet. I’ve only managed to make it through 8 episodes thus far due to my lack pf real engagement. I’m gonna see if I can trick someone else into watching who has never seen the anime to see how they feel. The trick is finding the right mark for that though…

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Theangryone View Post
    Started watching episode 1 last night and my initial thought was oof. They doubled down on Iron Fist casting actors who can’t fight.

    Rurouni Kenshin remains the only good Netflix adaptation
    Netflix didn’t have anything to do with producing the Kenshin trilogy. They just glommed on to the follow ups. The only other adaptation that I really enjoyed was Bleach. I feel like it was pretty close to the anime and wouldn’t mind seeing more.

  9. #189
    I don't know I felt the series lacked many things like takes, good dialogues, pacing, understanding of the characters, the focus of each story, etc.

  10. #190
    Quote Originally Posted by KainneAbsolute View Post
    I don't know I felt the series lacked many things like takes, good dialogues, pacing, understanding of the characters, the focus of each story, etc.
    One thing I can't get over is probably how awkward and artificial the lighting is in most scenes.

  11. #191
    Yeah okay this is just an absolute train wreck. The acting and dialogue are just so, so incredibly bad. You can't translate anime to live action like that. You try, and you make it sound like a middle school theater production, as evidenced by Ed. Absolutely ridiculous.

  12. #192
    I don't know what people are talking about I thought most of the dialogue was fine. The acting was great not all the characters are exactly like their anime counterparts but I still found them pretty interesting. Vicious and Julia are definitely the most different but that's fine because in the anime they only really existed as plot devices for Spike's story with Julia mostly serving as the motivation for the conflict between Spike and Vicious.

    I swear most people just seem to be looking for reasons to hate the show. The good news is I doubt the haters will really hinder the show in the long run, hopefully, the general audience enjoys it enough which I'm sure they will cause its a pretty entertaining show.

    It has flaws but its not like the anime was perfect (despite what some think).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I haven’t watched it yet. I’ve only managed to make it through 8 episodes thus far due to my lack pf real engagement. I’m gonna see if I can trick someone else into watching who has never seen the anime to see how they feel. The trick is finding the right mark for that though…
    hah, this was my plan as well, my parents would never watch the original because they don't like animation but I think this is something they could get into. They definitely fall into the audience these live-action adaptation shows are made for.

  13. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Introducing ED

    I honestly can't tell if this is over the top to the point of annoying or not

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-0CF_Ch0DI

    In spoilers just in case
    holy shit that scene is cringe and bad....idk what it is,but live action never feels right when it tries to replicate anime/cartoon stuff,it always ends up feeling weird

  14. #194
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    holy shit that scene is cringe and bad....idk what it is,but live action never feels right when it tries to replicate anime/cartoon stuff,it always ends up feeling weird
    I really think people are blowing it out of proportion. It was certainly a bad introduction in terms of how it was filmed but it only lasts a minute and overall I'd say they nailed ED'S character perfectly. Whether or not her character will actually work well in live action... we'll have to wait for season 2 to see.

  15. #195
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    I really think people are blowing it out of proportion. It was certainly a bad introduction in terms of how it was filmed but it only lasts a minute and overall I'd say they nailed ED'S character perfectly. Whether or not her character will actually work well in live action... we'll have to wait for season 2 to see.
    I mean, people are judging it by what they have. And what they have is... THAT. You can't really fault them for being appalled. Ed's character is bubbly and wild, but there's different ways in which you can transmit that in different media. The job of a good adaptation isn't to just copy things 1:1 and hope it works - it's to understand what the essential character is, and how to properly capture that using the tools of a different medium. Anime isn't just "live action film, but with drawing". Just how a film (of any kind) isn't just "book, but with movement".

    That's why it's a bad adaptation - not because it's "unfaithful" to the source material, but because it fails to capture the essence of what made the original good and properly show it to us in a different medium.

  16. #196
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I mean, people are judging it by what they have. And what they have is... THAT. You can't really fault them for being appalled. Ed's character is bubbly and wild, but there's different ways in which you can transmit that in different media. The job of a good adaptation isn't to just copy things 1:1 and hope it works - it's to understand what the essential character is, and how to properly capture that using the tools of a different medium. Anime isn't just "live action film, but with drawing". Just how a film (of any kind) isn't just "book, but with movement".

    That's why it's a bad adaptation - not because it's "unfaithful" to the source material, but because it fails to capture the essence of what made the original good and properly show it to us in a different medium.
    I disagree they definitely capture alot of what made the anime great they are just doing it a little differently which is fine. If it was exactly the same there'd be no point to it.

    It's not perfect but it's far from bad.

  17. #197
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    If it was exactly the same there'd be no point to it.
    Not sure why you'd bring this up. Was I not clear about what I think about adaptations and being "exactly the same"?

  18. #198
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderment2 View Post
    For a series I'd only heard about the show was yeah... not great??

    Minotaurs, led by a knockoff ring wraith, attack a village with a group of friends one of whom is possibly a reincarnation of the one who "broke the world" (which tbh the world looks very intact). There's some lawful stupid paladins burning all the magic people and magic city of unexplained death. Also some gender politics stuff which is barley touched upon, where men go made if they're magic?

    Beyond the general idea of reincarnation nothing about the show seems very interesting.

    I assume the books are better.
    Man, I definitely missed something in Cowboy Bebop...

    (I think you meant to post this in the Wheel of Time thread? >_>)

  19. #199
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Man, I definitely missed something in Cowboy Bebop...

    (I think you meant to post this in the Wheel of Time thread? >_>)
    I did! Woops!

    (I also need to watch cowboy Bebop)

  20. #200
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    18,230
    It is not a bad series,

    Now i do think that going from anime to live action you will never really capture that spirit again due to limitations live action has, that being said it was nice to see them bringing characters to live in this series from the animation and as far as adaptions go i found this to be pretty well done.

    I was worried it would have gotten a bit too over the top but it really has not, would watch another season if they decide to make one.

    Also liked the choice of actor for Spike Spiegel, who really was a level above some other actors
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •