Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I saw the preview to this, and was floored. It looked VERY good. I had no idea it was based on long-standing anime.

I appreciate the write-up/review. I expect it will be a better experience for someone coming at it with no background knowledge.
    As long as you're okay with a bit of campiness it is alot of fun. Do check out the anime afterwards, though honestly I always found the anime kind of dull but that's just personal taste.

Holy shit this was bad. How Netflix even greenlit something as horrendous as this is baffling.

They change things from the anime that should not be changed and keep some anime stuff that have to be changed for live action adaptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Even coming at it with no knowledge of the existing anime series I would not say it's a spectacular show, but it's a good, entertaining show. I would recommend you give the original anime a shot (the English dubs are also available on Netflix) since it's one of the greats, though maybe watching them after the live series would be a better path for you.
    Unfortunately, I've never been into anime. And I know I'm missing out, but at least for now it just doesn't rock my boat, so to speak. If it ever does, I'll be on here getting recommendations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    As long as you're okay with a bit of campiness it is alot of fun. Do check out the anime afterwards, though honestly I always found the anime kind of dull but that's just personal taste.
    That's good to know - the preview for it seemed to show some of that campiness, and I like that kind of thing, when it's done right/well.

well, that was great. I think thats the first anime adaptation I enjoyed watching. Characters were fun. Everything looked great. They toned down the anime sillyness, but not to the point that you couldnt still tell it used to be one.

Really quite impressive that they managed to make this.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

I found it entertaining but I have one question since I haven't watched the anime. Am I supposed to be sympathetic towards Julia? I think it would have helped with the ending but I just didn't really care for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I found it entertaining but I have one question since I haven't watched the anime. Am I supposed to be sympathetic towards Julia? I think it would have helped with the ending but I just didn't really care for her.
    She's barely in the anime, much less than in this version in any event.

Quote Originally Posted by Theangryone View Post
    That is absolutely horrible, glad I stopped watching when I did.
    She made me laugh, ill watch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dymonic View Post
    Fighting against a warlock is about being under a constant barrage of smaller spells that chip away at your health. During the fight you would constantly be trying to do enough damage to the warlock to kill him before his spells build to critical mass, killing you. Warlocks prefer a very blatant display of their power. Walking around with their minions, or having their spells scorch the very earth they are battling upon

Sure why not? She spent years trapped in an abusive relationship because the man she thought loved her never came back for her. Pretty easy to sympathize eith her and at least understand why she made the choices she did.

Sure why not? She spent years trapped in an abusive relationship because the man she thought loved her never came back for her. Pretty easy to sympathize eith her and at least understand why she made the choices she did.
    The entire thing was her plan and she was all for it till she found out Spike was still alive. Can you reference a point before he was forced to pull the trigger on her where he was abusive? While I was not team Vicious or anything I certainly didn't view her as sympathetic in the slightest.

The entire thing was her plan and she was all for it till she found out Spike was still alive. Can you reference a point before he was forced to pull the trigger on her where he was abusive? While I was not team Vicious or anything I certainly didn't view her as sympathetic in the slightest.
    Not sure what you're talking about. You might not have been paying attention to what was actually going on.

Not sure what you're talking about. You might not have been paying attention to what was actually going on.
    Did you watch the show? She was constantly pushing Vicious to take out the leaders and then double crossed him. she was cheating on him before he did anything negative to her. She saw him beat up a thug and that was it.

Did you watch the show? She was constantly pushing Vicious to take out the leaders and then double crossed him. she was cheating on him before he did anything negative to her. She saw him beat up a thug and that was it.
    She pushed him because he would hurt her when he was upset. Basically she was trying to turn his anger away from herself

When that didn't work she tried to have him killed and when that failed she took advantage of the situation so she could turn things against Vicious and seize control.

Yeah she did cheat on him but that doesn't justify the abuse.

As I said before, they fleshed out her character a lot for this series and tried to veer her away from the "damsel in distress" role (particularly towards the end). In the anime she was hardly in it at all until the last couple episodes and mainly served as part of Spike's backstory with little mentions here or there until, much like with this live action series, suddenly it's all about Spike vs. Vicious in the end with her in the middle.

I think you're supposed to understand from the live action series that what you're seeing between Julia and Vicious isn't the first time he's hurt her. Towards the end of the short series you see--particularly in the flashback--how his temper flares up and gets the better of him. It's heavily implied that it's an abusive relationship she's trying to escape, one way or another. He is named Vicious for a reason.

But to answer your question, yes, you're probably supposed to be sympathetic towards her, though in neither iteration is it really all that important if you are or aren't. There are likely a number of reasons they built up her character for the live action series, but I found her part probably the least interesting with the possible exception of the last 10-15 minutes of the last episode.

As an aside, things play out pretty differently in the anime and I found it amusing/entertaining how they set up some of the scenes in the series to be complete "shot-for-shot" remakes only to change things in the end and that last confrontation in front of the giant stained-glass window was one of those. When Spike said "I've bled all that blood away" and Vicious replies "Then why are you still alive?!" I got chills. It's one of the most iconic scenes in the anime and I think they got it pretty close...and then off we ricochet into an alternate Cowboy Bebop universe.

If you got some enjoyment out of the live action series you should give the anime a try. It's only a couple dozen episodes and it's no mistake that it's one of the most iconic series that practically everyone's heard of.

I'm pretty sure we're still heading to the same conclusion as the anime despite the twist. The alternative was either kill Julia off or keep her in the same situation for season 2 which wouldn't have been interesting.

Ed is simply one of those characters that probably just can't work in the context of a live-action setting. I'd rather they have rolled the dice on not adding her at all, even if there would be tons of detractors for that, too.

I mean, I didn't like anything else, either, but that scene really hurt. Especially the tonal whiplash of where it was placed.

Actually looking at it, she seems pretty abusive towards Vicious. Constantly questioning his "manhood" so that he will go along with her plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakir View Post
    Ed is simply one of those characters that probably just can't work in the context of a live-action setting.
    That's a cop-out imo. Filmmakers have made all sorts of things work. Creativity is if not boundless then at least quite wide. I'm sure there's ways in which you could depict a bubbly, crazy personality like Ed's without resorting to just copying the anime - and yet still make it believable and fluid. It would take a lot of work and a very dedicated actor, but it's far from impossible. They simply took the easy way out, settled for middle-school-levels of performance, and just went with "eh they'll buy it, whatever".

Geez one minute and people decide a character can't work. How desperate can you be to find reasons to hate this show?

I feel like people fail to understand that that scene is supposed to be rediculous. It's why Spike is laughing his ass off in the background.

Although people's reactions to it really shows who went into this intending to hate it no matter what.
    No, I fully understand it's supposed to be ridiculous. It's also incredibly cringy and made the person I was watching the show with (who happens to be a POC), immensely uncomfortable. To the point that I'm not sure we're going to finish the season out.
    Tiriel US-Illidan

Signature by Shyama

It’s watchable but the fights are very lame.. like you are supposed to know Spike is a master at Bruce Lee’s style, but you would not know it from how he fights in the show.. rest is okay. Nothing great, anime is better, but if you need to waste time you can throw it on.
    Last edited by Devilyaki; 2021-11-23 at 09:45 AM.