Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Because it's not a spoiler when its over a decade old, you gonna cry if someone tells you that Snape kills Dumbledore or that Darth Vader is Luke's father?
    Harry Potter and Star Wars are cultural phenomenons, everyone has either seen the movies already, heard the spoilers, or just doesn't give a shit about the series.

Anime is not as popular, at least in the West. Many newcomers continue to get into the fandom each day. It's not rare to see "i just watched x, anime is neat, recommend me more" posts on anime boards. These people are likely going to continue by watching some of the big names. You know, like Fullmetal Alchemist. So while these spoilers may be well known in certain circles, they're not classic enough to be in the same ballpark as Harry Potter spoilers. The only real equivalent would be something like DBZ.

You can't just use a "it's a decade old" excuse either, otherwise you might as well just spoil shows like Code Geass, Berserk, Clannad, Death Note, NGE, etc - All shows which have fairly significant developments which lose impact if spoiled. Hell, even fucking Cowboy Bebop.

And regardless the board's rules fucking state it's against the rules. So it doesn't matter what our opinion on the matter is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    I will only accept this if they make sure M Night Somelongname directs it.
    I hope this is sarcasim.

On Topic: How does netflix keep getting the green light for these? Why do people keep trying these? Every anime fan hates live action adaptations. They don't even do well for those who Don't know the source material. I keep thinking they just hope Something will go well for them and they'll see a massive cash flow from an adaptation. Its even worse since when its done in America, the source material is basically ignored for everything except the bones of the content. Its just, bad.

Just wish they would stop. Its annoying and just makes anyone who likes anime look worse since people see these bad movies coming out and are like "well, anime is like this since its based off an anime, so its just all bad".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    I've never understood this line of thinking. Even if it's the worse thing since the latest Ghost Busters movie, it doesn't take away from the original series.
    In a sense, it does. If its done poorly, it will give people a poor impression of the source. Thus, they won't bother to try it since the adaptation was just bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Even netflix regular anime sucks. The animation in knights of sidonia was some of the worst i've ever seen. Right up there with those berserk golden age movies.

And that death note thing they did...jesus christ.

Please just stop

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    This just makes me sad. They will ruin it
    Unfortunately they will, they will find some way to completely make it suck donkey balls..

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    ...and I'm fucking pissed. Really fucking pissed.

Cowboy Bebop is one of, if not THE BEST anime of all time - Great characters, soundtrack, setting, and story. Aside from 1 or 2 weaker episodes, the entire show is freaking fantastic, with memorable moments and incredible direction. Also, it's a story with a very conclusive end.

And they're going to commit necromancy. In the form of a live action series.

They're bringing the original anime director to support the show, which is nice, but I still can't believe that we'll be getting another live action from NETFLIX - Full Metal Alchemist was bad, Death Note was fucking horrendous, and now...Bebop will suffer the same destiny.

What is even the point of a live action remake/retelling? FFS.

See you space cowboy...
    I'm hoping that since they're bringing the original director it won't be complete garbage, but I'm not holding my breath. I do think that since it's one of the more realistic and not quite over the top nonsense shows that it's got the best chance of success overall though, so it's not a terrible choice if you're trying to do it right and redeem a poor initial showing like Netflix has had currently.

As for the two they've done, the FMA one was certainly bad and Death Note was horrendous for one reason specifically: they tried to liken it to the original. If they had changed the names and made it a standalone story on its own instead of trying to use the original names and partially the original story, it might have been well received. Making it a "while the Kira thing was happening in Japan, this was happening in the US" type thing instead of trying to pretend it was the original story could have changed it from a god-awful retelling into a unique and separate story.

Considering Cowboy Bepop is nothing like trash anime the sort of DB, The Last Airbender or others that were adapted into live action series/movies, is mature and is driven by story instead of waving hands, shouting and whatever appeals "awesome" to 10 year olds, the adaptation has the potential to be a lot better and possibly worthy of the original. I wouldn't be so quick bashing it. And yes, it probably will be trash, but it's not 100% certain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

TBH Cowboy Bebop, if its compressed to be short like the other live actions, has the potential to work out. The biggest problems with the other two is they tried to compress too much story and detail into too little time. Well, there were other really bad things with the Death Note one such as entirely swapping character dynamics and changing the setting, but ultimately the compression of story hurt the most.

While Cowboy Bebop to me was cool to watch I couldn't ever say it was one of my favorites. I enjoy stories with beginning, middle and endings with growth and continuity and even when I was young I got bored of serialized stories quickly. Which is to say, honestly, you could tell the main core story of Cowboy Bebop in Six episodes or less. One for each main character's semi-intro and then send-offs, and three for Spike's past and conclusion, and miss nothing. The rest of it was how they were utterly inept at being bounty hunters and how they almost never claimed the $$$, and those episodes and stories never carried over to the next other than 'did we add a main character? ok they exist here too then'.

Some people love serialized resets or contained stories. I don't, I typically feel like they're filler. And to me most of Cowboy Bebop was stylish filler-- and the funny thing is, the episodes with the highest praise back in the day? Were usually ones that had the continuity, such as the Cathedral. I don't feel like that was a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Reivur View Post
    TBH Cowboy Bebop, if its compressed to be short like the other live actions, has the potential to work out. The biggest problems with the other two is they tried to compress too much story and detail into too little time. Well, there were other really bad things with the Death Note one such as entirely swapping character dynamics and changing the setting, but ultimately the compression of story hurt the most.

While Cowboy Bebop to me was cool to watch I couldn't ever say it was one of my favorites. I enjoy stories with beginning, middle and endings with growth and continuity and even when I was young I got bored of serialized stories quickly. Which is to say, honestly, you could tell the main core story of Cowboy Bebop in Six episodes or less. One for each main character's semi-intro and then send-offs, and three for Spike's past and conclusion, and miss nothing. The rest of it was how they were utterly inept at being bounty hunters and how they almost never claimed the $$$, and those episodes and stories never carried over to the next other than 'did we add a main character? ok they exist here too then'.

Some people love serialized resets or contained stories. I don't, I typically feel like they're filler. And to me most of Cowboy Bebop was stylish filler-- and the funny thing is, the episodes with the highest praise back in the day? Were usually ones that had the continuity, such as the Cathedral. I don't feel like that was a coincidence.
    I think part of the appeal of Cowboy Bebop (and indeed, most anime) is the wide range of genres and tonalities it covered. If it had just covered Spike's story, then it would've just been another space noir story with a rundown sci-fi aesthetic. What made Bebop special is that it wasn't just space noir; space noir was just one of the stories it told. One episode could be about the amusing idea of guys in the future trying to rummage through what they would view as "old Earth" trying to find, fix, and run a VCR. One story could be about whacky shenanigans of space truckers. One could be a hilarious homage to alien. One could be about a 12 year old tomboy who hacked a space laser orbiting the Earth and used it to carve gigantic images into the desert. I think a lot of the show's innate charm would be lost if it was just boiled down to the most prominent story.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Even netflix regular anime sucks. The animation in knights of sidonia was some of the worst i've ever seen. Right up there with those berserk golden age movies.

And that death note thing they did...jesus christ.

Please just stop

Knights of Sidonia looked fine. The characters were "okay", but it was the story and the setting that kept me interested for all 24 episodes. It follows a lone colony ship trying to find a world to colonize while trying to fight off bizarre, monstrous aliens. It also has SoL and explores life on the ship, the idea of "third genders" to adapt to gender imbalances, and a cyborg innkeeper who decided to appear more friendly by donning a fluffy mama bear skin. Not the best like Fate/Zero or FMA:B, but nonetheless solid and recommended if what I just said resonated with you. The anime covers most of the story up until the final arc, which is currently in production with no release date announced.

The Berserk: Golden Age movies were watchable, but I would not recommend them over the 1997 anime.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2018-12-01 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I think part of the appeal of Cowboy Bebop (and indeed, most anime) is the wide range of genres and tonalities it covered. If it had just covered Spike's story, then it would've just been another space noir story with a rundown sci-fi aesthetic. What made Bebop special is that it wasn't just space noir; space noir was just one of the stories it told. One episode could be about the amusing idea of guys in the future trying to rummage through what they would view as "old Earth" trying to find, fix, and run a VCR. One story could be about whacky shenanigans of space truckers. One could be a hilarious homage to alien. One could be about a 12 year old tomboy who hacked a space laser orbiting the Earth and used it to carve gigantic images into the desert. I think a lot of the show's innate charm would be lost if it was just boiled down to the most prominent story.
    Definitely possible. Like I said, not really for me/was stylish. But its also why I think it could work versus the others that tried to tell really big stories that get compressed into something non-existent. While there's charm in those little stories, will it be hurt if we didn't see the gigantic carves or space truckers? Its amusing lore bits of the universe but it won't sink a live action if they aren't included.

Its pretty much the only reason I don't see this conversion as hopeless as the previous attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post

Knights of Sidonia looked fine.

The Berserk: Golden Age movies were watchable, but I would not recommend them over the 1997 anime.
    So I have actually seen both of them that I referenced. And looking back at that bear you posted from Sidonia makes me cringe. It comes off looking cheap.

As far as golden-age. It is watchable. But again it came across looking cheap and stiff. The kind of animation i'd expect for an early 2000's cut scene.

Neither one is up to par for current animation, and certainly not up to par to the animation we had in the 80's and 90's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Why do people keep trying these? Every anime fan hates live action adaptations.
    I do not like the live action adaptations but I see the logic in it....

If the anime fans hate it then you are doing somthing right, becuse the orginal anime did have a to "narrow" western public. Hence radical change is nesesery.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    I do not like the live action adaptations but I see the logic in it....

If the anime fans hate it then you are doing somthing right, becuse the orginal anime did have a to "narrow" western public. Hence radical change is nesesery.
    Do you know anyone who doesn't like anime, that liked the live action death note?

Spike shall be a bisexual woman, Faye shall be black, Jet won't be in it, Ed will be... something, and worst of all Eins will be a cat!

Mark my words...

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    Has there been a live action anime that worked out well? I hope for you bebop fans it does.

On a side note, Is it worth watching Cowboy bebop if your not really a anime fan?
    Bleach was pretty well done

10+ Year Old Account
    For all the sad people who didn't already know, a live action movie was already in the works ages ago but never came to anything. Keanu Reeves was supposed to play Spike.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post

If the anime fans hate it then you are doing somthing right
    like losing money making a show no one watches past the third episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    But it's always the people who've already seen and enjoyed the original. If you love the original but hate the latest adaption is it really going to make you stop loving the original?
    It will make new people not buy into the genre of entertainment. Thats the problem. If you want to draw in a bigger crowd to get it more attention, then you need to get good movies and shows. That way, it helps everyone. Do you know how hard it is to find anything anime in America due to how small the fan base is? It sucks. You need to grow the fanbase with good movies. Not crap that hurts it
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

"Hello this is netflix you're green lit, who am I speaking with?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    Has there been a live action anime that worked out well? I hope for you bebop fans it does.

On a side note, Is it worth watching Cowboy bebop if your not really a anime fan?
    The live action bleach. I often forgot I wasnt watching the anime...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Well this thread got weird. Anyway, it's gonna suck. BUT EVA IS COMING TO NETFLIX IN BLU RAY QUALITY WITH THE MOVIES AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    That's a billion times more interesting.
    /s