Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    the guy who plays the cowboy, bores me...I get the feeling he phoned this in..seems uninterested in every scene

at least the trailer got corgi

I think it's a big negative if a production isn't winning fans of the source material.

...which is probably why it looks like a fun watch to me. I know nothing about the source material

Looks like it'll be a fun watch honestly, can't wait. Even if it's bad or meh, at least we get some new Yoko Kanno music.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gonna give it a fair shake. The anime was my first great love of the art form, and still holds a special place in my heart 20 years later. I still have a wall scroll from 2002 that's traveled with me to every place I've ever lived - it's hanging behind my bedroom door, and is the only weeb indicator in my house.

I don't necessarily feel like it's a "sacred cow" or anything, but live-action anime adaptations tend to suck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paetolus View Post
    at least we get some new Yoko Kanno music.
    The soundtrack will be great, no doubt.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I think it's a big negative if a production isn't winning fans of the source material.
    I'm a fan of the source material; Cowboy Bebop is up there with Akira in "early formative experiences of anime", for me.

I'm excited for this take on it.

There's a lot of fans who are the literal incarnation of the "No take! Only throw!" dog meme. They want their nostalgia fix, but no adaptation will ever be "good enough", and a lack of adaptation leads to whinging that their fandom is ignored. They're gonna bitch no matter what happens; they have pre-determined that they will be upset no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    First, is for the people watching, that may have also seen the anime, to realise that this will not be a direct 1:1 recreation of the anime itself. It will move things around, add new things, even change some stuff for live action. Hence the term "adaptation." If you can't cope with that, just go watch the anime. It is not a series dedicated to you, its for the average viewer. Bitch and moan all you want about the tiniest thing that happens/is shown on screen, that's just reality.
    Literally all adaptations will modify the source material to some extent, and the amount it deviates will vary based on the gap between mediums (print fiction to TV/film is a bigger leap than animation to live-action, as both of the latter are visual media, as an example of what I mean), the era of the original material (mostly with older content; petty bigotries that are presumed in source material will generally be written out of adaptations, unless it's actually important to the story, and it generally isn't), and so on.

If you're against any kind of change because that's a deviation from the source, just go enjoy the source; you aren't interested in adaptations and this isn't being made for you as the intended audience, because of that.

Which is fine, let me just say. I'm not demanding people favor adaptations. I'm just saying; if you think the source is perfect and any adaptation will change it in bad ways, then just enjoy the source. You're not the audience for adaptations. Complaining when you're not the intended audience is just . . . why?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'm just saying; if you think the source is perfect and any adaptation will change it in bad ways, then just enjoy the source. You're not the audience for adaptations. Complaining when you're not the intended audience is just . . . why?
    Yeah, I've never understood the "omg this ruined my favorite show/movie" crowd. No it didn't. The Ghostbusters reboot didn't "ruin" the original Ghostbusters movies. You can go watch them anytime you want. They're available.

Now, if moviemakers started going the George Lucas route and doing all they can to erase the older versions of their films in favor of "updated" versions, then maybe they'd have more of a point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Early reviews are not good... Seems all agree Cho is awesome though.

This thing got a 7 from IGN.

...that's like a 2 from any other publication.

Most reviews are overwhelmingly negative. I might give it a whirl but at this point I think if anything it'll just encourage me to rewatch the source anime for the 37th time.

Which is fine, let me just say. I'm not demanding people favor adaptations. I'm just saying; if you think the source is perfect and any adaptation will change it in bad ways, then just enjoy the source. You're not the audience for adaptations. Complaining when you're not the intended audience is just . . . why?
    I understand your point, what happens is that they are also banking on the fans which is why they were trying to stay as faithful as possible but altering it just enough for netflix. But why even try to adapt something if you will deviate too much from the source? A perfect example is game of thrones. It strayed too much character wise that it became godawful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tietoso View Post
    I understand your point, what happens is that they are also banking on the fans which is why they were trying to stay as faithful as possible but altering it just enough for netflix. But why even try to adapt something if you will deviate too much from the source? A perfect example is game of thrones. It strayed too much character wise that it became godawful.
    I definitely wouldn't say that GoT strayed too far character-wise. With Jaime Lannister, maybe, but that was just lazy-ass "we're tying shit up, hurry" bullshit by the writers. Up until he left Brienne, it was fine.

The big one people complain about was Daenerys, though, and they're just wrong. They were foreshadowing her monstrousness from basically the very beginning. In both the books and the show. Like, Season 2 of the show early. They were always going to have her go apeshit. The bungling was just that they forced it all into a shorted season, not that they got her character "wrong"; that outcome was exactly right. They just bungled the transition.

Also, the wild success of GoT is from the show. It was a popular book series among Fantasy fans (I have them on my own shelves, from before the show was announced, at least the books that were out by then), but "fantasy lit fans" aren't exactly bank-busters as a market.

I honestly don't know what to think about Cowboy Bebop. I keep hearing that it stays too close to the anime. And that it's too different. I'll watch it myself and judge it then.

I honestly don't know what to think about Cowboy Bebop. I keep hearing that it stays too close to the anime. And that it's too different. I'll watch it myself and judge it then.
    Seconded. I have reservations about some aspects, but I'm willing to give it a watch and I'm not going to spend the entire time watching grumbling that it's "ruining my favorite show"--because that's a fucking stupid argument people have about adaptations anyway. And, now that the original Cowboy Bebop series is on Netflix I can go back and watch that if the live action series leaves me wanting more, so win-win. Hey, I can even watch it with subs instead of English dubs if I so desire thanks to Netflix, though I grew up with the dubs (they were less awful than most other dubs), so there's no real way for me to lose in any of this. I think some people just actively fight against being entertained. *shrug*

watched the first episode and...well..ut oh. First scene is sort of weird ripped from the movie with vicious and then its just uhhh..flat.

ok i decided to watch episode 1 and then episode 10 (ill watch the middle later) and one thing i have to say is...oh god no its not even so bad its funny or something. Its just bad.
    Last edited by jonnysensible; 2021-11-19 at 12:33 PM.

I watched the first 3 episodes and I like it so far. I know a lot of people will complain about it either being too much like the anime or not enough like the anime but I think they did a pretty good job. There's enough of the anime to be recognizable but different enough to be its own thing. I look forward to seeing how the rest of it plays out.

Two episodes in so far. The acting was so bad in the opening scene. Not a fan of how they changed the fight between Spike and Asimov into being a gunfight. Hating the look of Vicious, the perpetual five o' clock shadow look is awful.

This must be the first time I've seen a gay character's sexuality changed.
    viciuos was clearly gay his ex was a gender fluid trans and it was obvious that he was jealous that Spike was in love with Julia

10+ Year Old Account
    So I was very pumped going into seeing this show. Only that I loved the original show so I felt that this one was pushing the right buttons from what I saw. But oh boy... I was not feeling this show. There are some really bad dialogue and acting, as well as just some really awkward scenes. Not at all times, sometimes things would play out well but then there was be long periods that fell flat.

At least to me. If you enjoyed it, fine! I just couldn't get into it.

also then there is this scene...

yikes
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    So I was very pumped going into seeing this show. Only that I loved the original show so I felt that this one was pushing the right buttons from what I saw. But oh boy... I was not feeling this show. There are some really bad dialogue and acting, as well as just some really awkward scenes. Not at all times, sometimes things would play out well but then there was be long periods that fell flat.

At least to me. If you enjoyed it, fine! I just couldn't get into it.

also then there is this scene...

yikes
    I feel like people fail to understand that that scene is supposed to be rediculous. It's why Spike is laughing his ass off in the background.

Although people's reactions to it really shows who went into this intending to hate it no matter what.

7+ Year Old Account
    gonna watch it tonight. cautiously optimistic.
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

Introducing ED

I honestly can't tell if this is over the top to the point of annoying or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-0CF_Ch0DI

In spoilers just in case