Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

[TV] Netflix announced a Live Action Cowboy Bebop adaptation

...and I'm fucking pissed. Really fucking pissed.

Cowboy Bebop is one of, if not THE BEST anime of all time - Great characters, soundtrack, setting, and story. Aside from 1 or 2 weaker episodes, the entire show is freaking fantastic, with memorable moments and incredible direction. Also, it's a story with a very conclusive end.

And they're going to commit necromancy. In the form of a live action series.

They're bringing the original anime director to support the show, which is nice, but I still can't believe that we'll be getting another live action from NETFLIX - Full Metal Alchemist was bad, Death Note was fucking horrendous, and now...Bebop will suffer the same destiny.

What is even the point of a live action remake/retelling? FFS.

See you space cowboy...

7+ Year Old Account
    Has there been a live action anime that worked out well? I hope for you bebop fans it does.

On a side note, Is it worth watching Cowboy bebop if your not really a anime fan?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    On a side note, Is it worth watching Cowboy bebop if your not really a anime fan?
    Absolutely! It's one of the only animes that I recommend to people that aren't into anime. Great dub as well, if you're into that. Give it a chance!

PS: Bebop has arguably the best anime soundtrack of all time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Has there been a live action anime that worked out well? I hope for you bebop fans it does.

It's a bit dated but it's not your typical over the top anime and so doesn't struggle from the usual cliché elements.

As for the OP haven't seen FMA yet did see deathnote and liked it, bit short bit all crammed in there but the execution was good.

Deleted
    I always have a saying 'just because you can do something doesn't mean you should'

I am not an anime fan, but I really liked Cowboy Bebop. I think it was like the first anime I ever watched too. Think I watched some anime when I was younger but Cowboy Bebop was the first anime I was invested in :P
    Last edited by mmocfb48d32508; 2018-11-28 at 02:47 PM.

Rurouni Kenshin was good, very loyal to the anime.

And bebop is worth watching for the soundtrack alone

cowboy bebop is the most over rated anime ive seen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cowboy Bebop is one of the ones I think could translate...if done right.

If they can get someone who can pin down the style of the show, the music, the aesthetics, the right, budget it could really work. You have yourself a really good space opera.

All of that is done a lot easier through animation though.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Jin Roh and Blood the last Vampire are ok.
    Battle Royal and Ichi the Killer are also fun movies.

If you liked Firefly you can watch it.
    Last edited by Miyagie; 2018-11-28 at 09:38 PM.

Deleted
    They’re adapting Pokémon. Nothing could be worse

10+ Year Old Account

I don't think you're stereotypical anime fan of 2018 would like Cowboy Bebop...which is a yes to your question.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post

Cowboy Bebop is one of, if not THE BEST anime of all time - Great characters, soundtrack, setting, and story. Aside from 1 or 2 weaker episodes, the entire show is freaking fantastic, with memorable moments and incredible direction. Also, it's a story with a very conclusive end.

They're bringing the original anime director to support the show, which is nice, but I still can't believe that we'll be getting another live action from NETFLIX - Full Metal Alchemist was bad, Death Note was fucking horrendous, and now...Bebop will suffer the same destiny.

See you space cowboy...
    Time to guess which black queer woman will play the role of the white straight male main character.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will only accept this if they make sure M Night Somelongname directs it.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The Rurouni Kenshin live action films were solid, but @Lotus Victoria is correct; it's highly unlikely that this live action adaptation will be anywhere near as good. One of the core reasons why anime works is because it's told in the anime medium, where the medium allows for exaggerated camera blocking, exaggerated character acting, and fast paced cutting (half second to a quarter of a second long shots (NOT frames) in sequence at times). You'd be hard pressed to replicate it in live action. Ofcourse, that's why it's called an adaptation - trying to take the core of an idea in one medium and adapt it to another - but we already had that story in live action. It's called Firefly. Why not reboot that series?

Personally, I'm not one of those people who hails Cowboy Bebop as a masterpiece or even as a top 20 anime series, but it's still a solid 7/10 series and I'd absolutely recommend it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    cowboy bebop is the most over rated anime ive seen.
    I concur, but it's still solid.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post

See you space cowboy...
    It is impossible to ruin the original. If you don't want to watch this one, don't watch it. If you want to pretend it exists, you can definitely do so. That said, there are definitely going to be people out there who will enjoy it. This is for those people, not you. Just hold on to your precious memories, rewatch the original, and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Syriane View Post
    They’re adapting Pokémon. Nothing could be worse
    Pikachu is being voiced by Ryan Reynolds so at least we will have a shit ton of good jokes for Deadpool 3.

I fell into the "it's one of the best animes ever" trap a few years ago and got fucking gutted. It's not that great, seriously. It's even painful to watch at times.

That said, no anime adaptation to live-action ever worked, so i don't understand the move. It will only piss fans off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    Pikachu is being voiced by Ryan Reynolds so at least we will have a shit ton of good jokes for Deadpool 3.
    Bringing that up just depresses me even more

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    I will only accept this if they make sure M Night Somelongname directs it.
    His name is Shamalamadingdong.

Jokes aside, I don't think it matters alot. Is it a waste? Yes. Do I have to watch it? No.
    I didn't have to watch the ghost in the shell and deathnote live adaptations either, and I didn't.

If they fuck up the witcher I will also probably not care too much, I already have the books the games and the story of geralt is finished for me.

I will just put the resulting show either on the collection heap or the trash one.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2018-11-29 at 07:45 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    It's not that great, seriously. It's even painful to watch at times.
    While I understand that opinions are opinions, what things made you suffer while watching Bebop?

I get that some of the episodes can be a bit short on the story side, and that Radical Edward isn't a character for everyone, but that's the first time I've seen someone say that Bebop is painful to watch!

No offense, though. Just curiosity.