Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I really enjoyed this. The anime fans were going to bitch no matter what but as its own thing I thought it was well done. It definitely has some rough spots but that's just a side effect of being adapted from an anime so that was always gonna be the case but it definitely handles it better than other live-action adaptations. Overall I'm excited for season 2.

As for Ed I can't really judge them yet cause we only see them for a minute and Ed was always gonna be difficult to translate to live-action like Vicious. But unlike Vicious you can't get away with drastically changing Ed's character because they were a major part of the original show so it was always gonna be a lose-lose situation. Still, as long as they fix the way the character looks in season 2 I think it could be fine.

I thought the first episodes were sorta fine, I enjoyed some things while being totally unimpressed by others. The dialogue is not great. But tbh it really jumped the shark towards the end cause they expanded on Vicious (which worked better being mysterious) and fucking Julia. And yeah, Ed was cringe tier... was that the intention?
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2021-11-21 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Above video properly spoiler tagged.
    Spoiler: 
    I thought the show was "ok" if its your first time ever seeing anything cowboy bebop..... but this part to me was all kinds of bad..

Quote Originally Posted by Micfeind View Post
    I thought the show was "ok" if its your first time ever seeing anything cowboy bebop..... but this part to me was all kinds of bad..
    It was literally the final minute and honestly pretty faithful to the original. It's way too early to really judge the character.

Started watching episode 1 last night and my initial thought was oof. They doubled down on Iron Fist casting actors who can’t fight.

Rurouni Kenshin remains the only good Netflix adaptation

I don't know I felt the series lacked many things like takes, good dialogues, pacing, understanding of the characters, the focus of each story, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by KainneAbsolute View Post
    I don't know I felt the series lacked many things like takes, good dialogues, pacing, understanding of the characters, the focus of each story, etc.
    One thing I can't get over is probably how awkward and artificial the lighting is in most scenes.

Yeah okay this is just an absolute train wreck. The acting and dialogue are just so, so incredibly bad. You can't translate anime to live action like that. You try, and you make it sound like a middle school theater production, as evidenced by Ed. Absolutely ridiculous.

I don't know what people are talking about I thought most of the dialogue was fine. The acting was great not all the characters are exactly like their anime counterparts but I still found them pretty interesting. Vicious and Julia are definitely the most different but that's fine because in the anime they only really existed as plot devices for Spike's story with Julia mostly serving as the motivation for the conflict between Spike and Vicious.

I swear most people just seem to be looking for reasons to hate the show. The good news is I doubt the haters will really hinder the show in the long run, hopefully, the general audience enjoys it enough which I'm sure they will cause its a pretty entertaining show.

It has flaws but its not like the anime was perfect (despite what some think).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I haven’t watched it yet. I’ve only managed to make it through 8 episodes thus far due to my lack pf real engagement. I’m gonna see if I can trick someone else into watching who has never seen the anime to see how they feel. The trick is finding the right mark for that though…
    hah, this was my plan as well, my parents would never watch the original because they don't like animation but I think this is something they could get into. They definitely fall into the audience these live-action adaptation shows are made for.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Introducing ED

I honestly can't tell if this is over the top to the point of annoying or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-0CF_Ch0DI

In spoilers just in case
    holy shit that scene is cringe and bad....idk what it is,but live action never feels right when it tries to replicate anime/cartoon stuff,it always ends up feeling weird

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    holy shit that scene is cringe and bad....idk what it is,but live action never feels right when it tries to replicate anime/cartoon stuff,it always ends up feeling weird
    I really think people are blowing it out of proportion. It was certainly a bad introduction in terms of how it was filmed but it only lasts a minute and overall I'd say they nailed ED'S character perfectly. Whether or not her character will actually work well in live action... we'll have to wait for season 2 to see.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    I really think people are blowing it out of proportion. It was certainly a bad introduction in terms of how it was filmed but it only lasts a minute and overall I'd say they nailed ED'S character perfectly. Whether or not her character will actually work well in live action... we'll have to wait for season 2 to see.
    I mean, people are judging it by what they have. And what they have is... THAT. You can't really fault them for being appalled. Ed's character is bubbly and wild, but there's different ways in which you can transmit that in different media. The job of a good adaptation isn't to just copy things 1:1 and hope it works - it's to understand what the essential character is, and how to properly capture that using the tools of a different medium. Anime isn't just "live action film, but with drawing". Just how a film (of any kind) isn't just "book, but with movement".

That's why it's a bad adaptation - not because it's "unfaithful" to the source material, but because it fails to capture the essence of what made the original good and properly show it to us in a different medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I mean, people are judging it by what they have. And what they have is... THAT. You can't really fault them for being appalled. Ed's character is bubbly and wild, but there's different ways in which you can transmit that in different media. The job of a good adaptation isn't to just copy things 1:1 and hope it works - it's to understand what the essential character is, and how to properly capture that using the tools of a different medium. Anime isn't just "live action film, but with drawing". Just how a film (of any kind) isn't just "book, but with movement".

That's why it's a bad adaptation - not because it's "unfaithful" to the source material, but because it fails to capture the essence of what made the original good and properly show it to us in a different medium.
    I disagree they definitely capture alot of what made the anime great they are just doing it a little differently which is fine. If it was exactly the same there'd be no point to it.

It's not perfect but it's far from bad.

If it was exactly the same there'd be no point to it.
    Not sure why you'd bring this up. Was I not clear about what I think about adaptations and being "exactly the same"?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderment2 View Post
    For a series I'd only heard about the show was yeah... not great??

Minotaurs, led by a knockoff ring wraith, attack a village with a group of friends one of whom is possibly a reincarnation of the one who "broke the world" (which tbh the world looks very intact). There's some lawful stupid paladins burning all the magic people and magic city of unexplained death. Also some gender politics stuff which is barley touched upon, where men go made if they're magic?

Beyond the general idea of reincarnation nothing about the show seems very interesting.

I assume the books are better.
    Man, I definitely missed something in Cowboy Bebop...

(I think you meant to post this in the Wheel of Time thread? >_>)

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Man, I definitely missed something in Cowboy Bebop...

(I think you meant to post this in the Wheel of Time thread? >_>)
    I did! Woops!

(I also need to watch cowboy Bebop)

10+ Year Old Account
    It is not a bad series,

Now i do think that going from anime to live action you will never really capture that spirit again due to limitations live action has, that being said it was nice to see them bringing characters to live in this series from the animation and as far as adaptions go i found this to be pretty well done.

I was worried it would have gotten a bit too over the top but it really has not, would watch another season if they decide to make one.

Also liked the choice of actor for Spike Spiegel, who really was a level above some other actors
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

It comes across as some community theater actor wannabe, having watched a five minute Youtube video of nothing but Ed's antics and saying "Yeah, I got this". You could find fifteen people off the street, have them come in, and do the same thing as whoever's doing that in that scene. There's no performance - just mimicry.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    It comes across as some community theater actor wannabe, having watched a five minute Youtube video of nothing but Ed's antics and saying "Yeah, I got this". You could find fifteen people off the street, have them come in, and do the same thing as whoever's doing that in that scene. There's no performance - just mimicry.
    Again it was literally one minute. For a one-minute introduction, I think they captured the general energy of Ed without going too deep into her character. Which is fine because this is more of a tease than an actual introduction, that will come in season 2. Ed is just hard to translate to live-action but I think it's too soon to say they ruined the character.

Overall I think they did a great job translating the series to live-action. I think the anime fans just underestimate how difficult it is to translate anime into live-action. I mean as good as the original anime is it's still anime, characters don't talk like real people and the show is presented in a way that isn't very realistic. Which is fine for animation but wouldn't work for live-action. You can't have long periods of silence because it just ends up looking awkward.

This is about as good as you can get without drastically changing things like in other adaptations.

Again it was literally one minute. For a one-minute introduction, I think they captured the general energy of Ed without going too deep into her character. Which is fine because this is more of a tease than an actual introduction, that will come in season 2. Ed is just hard to translate to live-action but I think it's too soon to say they ruined the character.

Overall I think they did a great job translating the series to live-action. I think the anime fans just underestimate how difficult it is to translate anime into live-action. I mean as good as the original anime is it's still anime, characters don't talk like real people and the show is presented in a way that isn't very realistic. Which is fine for animation but wouldn't work for live-action. You can't have long periods of silence because it just ends up looking awkward.

This is about as good as you can get without drastically changing things like in other adaptations.
    That wasn't the energy of Ed that was the energy of cringe. And the voice was terrible. If you are going to be dialing your chaos up to 11 you need cuteness to counteract it. Anyone who has kids or worked with them or even animals knows that when they do something bad and then proceed to do something cute silly it is going to lessen your anger/annoyance at them. Hell this even happens with adults. Anyone defending this performance clearly hasn't interacted with any human beings or animals ever.

They did a poor job at translating it to live action imo. Alita is the only live action adaptation I have seen so far that I was say was good/great.