Timewalking gearing threads/guides

cant for the life of me find any that are worthwhile/up to date.

My Google-fu is failing.

Anyone have any good TW resources?

My googling found a random reddit thread from 10 months ago

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...lk_runs_get_a/

Not seeing anything made for BFA. Timewalk probably did get slower with no artifacts.

Just look for gear with a lot of sockets I guess. A full on guide would be useful for players thinking about it.
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2018-11-29 at 09:49 AM.

Deleted
    All leggendaries from legion still works in timewalking. Im using legendary staff from firelands, cloack from mop, ring from wod a 2 leggendaries from legion on my mage. Only thing not working is your artefact weapon.

Yeah, so i wasn’t alone in not finding much then.

Thanks for looking gents.

Guess the answer is “best MoP gear you can get with lots of sockets” + 2 Legiondaries + Pre-legendary WoD ring.

The Heart of Azeroth appears to be extremely well itemised, it's significantly better than Prydaz for example.

Azerite gear also appears to be better than the Helmets/Shoulders/Chests that you can get in MoP raids (which were the best in those slots previously), however I'm not quite sure how to fully account for the Meta sockets in helmets (for example, they can give you +3% bonus crit damage).

MoP gear is probably the best for the rest of the slots (Hands/Legs/Belt/Boots/Wrists/Cape) though. Not just due to the heaps of sockets, but also because you can enchant them. For the belt you can add an extra gem socket with the Living Belt Buckle. For the legs you can enchant using the leatherworking/tailoring enhancement/spellthread thingos, forgot what they were called exactly.

The newest squish in BFA normalised a lot of things. For example flasks/potions/food/augment runes from all expansions now give the same stats, whereas previously flasks/potions from MoP were far superior to other expansions, while the food from WoD was the best (whereas now Savage Feast, Lavish Suramar Feast and Captain's Bountifull Feast all give the same stats).

One thing I'm really not sure about is whether it's worth going for tier bonuses, since they do take up a lot of slots, requiring you to wear inferior gear in those slots. It might be worth it if you have a really great 2 pc bonus and you can get Cape+Gloves with sockets though.
    Last edited by Turtel; 2018-11-30 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtel View Post
    One thing I'm really not sure about is whether it's worth going for tier bonuses, since they do take up a lot of slots, requiring you to wear inferior gear in those slots. It might be worth it if you have a really great 2 pc bonus and you can get Cape+Gloves with sockets though.
    Set bonuses are disabled. They don't even work on the intended level.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtel View Post
    All tier bonuses older than WoD were disabled in Legion. They can be ignored.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    Set bonuses are disabled. They don't even work on the intended level.
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    All tier bonuses older than WoD were disabled in Legion. They can be ignored.
    There's still the set bonuses from Legion aren't there? Legion has three sets:
    - Nighthold
    - Tomb of Sargeras
    - Antorus

Most tier sets in the game have the 'Legacy bonus disabled' message in their tooltip but the Legion ones don't (although I don't have any of the Legion sets anymore so I can't personally check if they still work). When I mentioned sockets I meant the random bonus socket that sometimes appears on Legion gear when you get lucky, similar to warforging/tertiary stats. Even with those sockets, however, they still have worse stats than other non-tier gear you can get in those slots and the set bonus might not be enough to compensate especially when you consider enchants (which could technically count as a 'set bonus' for any non-tier gear before WoD).

Now that I mention it, the stats of gems seem significantly weaker than they were in timewalking for Legion. The BFA squish hasn't changed the scaled down stats of the gear by much, but gems have gotten significantly weaker. Whereas previously you could get 10 primary or 20 secondary stats per socket during BC timewalking, that has been decreased to only 6 for both primary/secondary gems. This should mean that timewalking twinking won't result in being as overpowered as it used to allow, although I'm sure it will still make a significant difference.
    Last edited by Turtel; 2018-11-30 at 05:23 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm just curious why you would need some in-dept guide to BIS crap for TW dungeons. Its not like those are difficult or even rated/competitively ranked somewhere. You can do them at 1 level past the difficulty (71 for BC TW etc) and do just fine in them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Some ideas if your still looking for them

-Wear gear with the most sockets(Normally Mop Raid Gear) you can find and the best old gems
    -Legendary's both the weapons,ring, cloak and legion ones
    -Legion Tier sets if you can get them
    -Enchants for every slot and profession enchants as well
    -Find some good trinkets (HFC ones seem to be very useful in particular)
    -Old Flasks, food, and potions since they scale down are very good

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I'm just curious why you would need some in-dept guide to BIS crap for TW dungeons. Its not like those are difficult or even rated/competitively ranked somewhere. You can do them at 1 level past the difficulty (71 for BC TW etc) and do just fine in them.
    If a guy in TW gear can do many times more dps than someone without it, then you get done sooner.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Personally, I've found that the Capacitance Legendary meta gem is very powerful source of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Personally, I've found that the Capacitance Legendary meta gem is very powerful source of damage.
    This used to be a no brainer in past xpacs, but I'm not sure it outweighs an Azerite piece, especially with an extra ring coming soon. Could be wrong.

Being op is fun. Min-maxing for more deeps is fun (for some/many people).

Like when leveling twinking with enchants and what not was a thing, and you could plow through mobs 3x faster, yeah it was already fast but with it was insane. Ever since we have the "mah vanulla!" and the whole "yey, so happy that leveling is an absolute drag now!" camps it has become frowned upon to even mention stuff like this.
    Last edited by Lei; 2018-11-30 at 06:29 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    Being op is fun. Min-maxing for more deeps is fun (for some/many people).

Like when leveling twinking with enchants and what not was a thing, and you could plow through mobs 3x faster, yeah it was already fast but with it was insane. Ever since we have the "mah vanulla!" and the whole "yey, so happy that leveling is an absolute drag now!" camps it has become frowned upon to even mention stuff like this.
    People twink while leveling because the gear they use to twink with is used all the way up to like what 110 now? You slap enchants on your chest, weapon/weapons, neck, cloak, and sometimes legs & shoulders if you have characters the "appropriate level" to enchant them. You do this because all of that gear isn't replaced until you step foot in BfA zones.

People twink while leveling because the gear they use to twink with is used all the way up to like what 110 now? You slap enchants on your chest, weapon/weapons, neck, cloak, and sometimes legs & shoulders if you have characters the "appropriate level" to enchant them. You do this because all of that gear isn't replaced until you step foot in BfA zones.
    I used to have stacks of pandaren step enchants and bracer/glove enchants on my alts while I levelled them, my guild bank probably still has them. They were ass cheap. Those are not on heirlooms.

Personally I find it fun going through all the possible items in the game and checking to see which items scale better than others. There's just something exciting about having all these possibilities to browse and choose from, spanning several expansions.

Back when Black Temple Timewalking came out last year (which my guild decided to do as a guild) I probably spent 5 hours researching (comparing items/tier sets/enchants/foods/gems/flasks/potions/etc.) and then going out and killing bosses in old raids to get certain items that I wanted, and throughout the whole process I was having fun, which was something I was struggling to do with the normal game progression from my recollection. Same with right now; outside of schedued raid/M+ nights with my guild I barely log on at all, maybe once every few days to do emissaries. However with Ulduar Timewalking coming next week, and my guild deciding to do it, the change of direction in finding out what's changed with regards to timewalking gear scaling has breathed some new life into the game for me, and made it fun to do things in Wow (at least temporarily).

From a practical perspective it's not exactly pointless either. You can keep all the items you've collected and you can dust it off every time timewalking comes around (every few weeks) to speed through the weekly quest. Even if you don't need the cache from the weekly quest now, it'll become relevant again when the next raid comes out, and again when the raid after that comes out. Even when the next expansion comes out, some of the items you collected now might still be useful, which is what happened with a lot of the gear I collected for timewalking last expansion.

any changes in TW gear recommendations of late?

I've been looking for the same. I'm not super knowledgeable on TW but am I right in thinking that items only scale down and not up? So legendaries such as Shadowmourne are useless outside of Wrath/BC TW?

The problem with creating OP timewalking sets is that they mostly improve your dps. Unless you have a dedicated premade tank with you that's gonna tank whenever you do TW, it's still faster to just go queue as tank. And for that, weird legacy gear doesn't really help that much. Maybe some legion leggo that gives you bonus jumps or speed, but that's just a slight increase of clearing speed.