Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
  1. #181
    Bloodsail Admiral roboscorcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,171
    The biggest problem with factions is that it splits the community. If you're a new player, you basically have to choose some friends over others at the start screen.

    If BfA wants to do something right, they'll add some sort of faction truce that will allow all players to PvE together. Sure, PvP will make less sense, but who cares?

  2. #182
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    Blizzard decided to go with a PvP expansion this time around, which is fine and all, but it highlights some of the fundamental issues with Blizzard's 14 year old game. Namely, their 2 faction system.

    2 Factions will almost never be balanced. Especially when they have different races with different bonuses on each side. One side will invariably get the upper hand, and this will cause a snowball effect where people who actually want to enjoy the game mostly all switch to that faction.

    WoW has been Horde dominated in PvP since Vanilla. This didn't matter as much because Alliance had a slight upper hand in PvE. But once BC hit and gave the Alliance's PvE bonus to the Horde, it had a landslide effect with the Horde population massively outweighing the Alliance. Horde has dominated both PvP and PvE ever since.

    In a Faction War expansion, that basically means 1 side gets to dominate, and the other ends up opting out. Thus, less fun for both sides.

    All the other PvP focused MMOs have realized this, and either gone with a no faction system (Guild Wars, FFXI) or gone with a 3 faction system (ESO, Camelot Unchained) to help balance this issue. 3 factions isn't perfect, but it does make it less likely one faction will completely dominate, and if they do, the other two factions can make truces to help balance this. Personally, I believe the no-faction system is the best. That way, all PvP is done between guilds and communities.

    Blizzard needs to reassess what their game is supposed to be. If they want it to become a PvP centric game, they need to do something about their lopsided, 2-faction system.
    to me faction should exist only for npc, a la EVE, players especially pvp and pve should be totally out of faction and considered as mercenaries; mixed guilds, mixed battlegrounds, mixed raids etc. would be a boon for the game even introducing guild vs guild environment would be exceptional and also the storytelling would have less burden.
    Factions could remain but players shouldn't be tied to them beyond the quest contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

  3. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    I agree that the Alliance vs. Horde faction system is completely outdated and should be replaced.

    However this will never happen, because this is one of the few iconic features of warcraft that has existed since the beginning of th franchise. And this has been consistent throughout the entire WoW MMO. I doubt Blizzard will ever do something so radical as eliminating the two faction system. If they ever consider that, it might be for a future warcraft franchise.
    Wasn't this iconic feature just orcs vs humans? And even then much has changed since then, they fought at first but some of them could show a lot of respect to each other.

    Blizzard wouldn't even have to get rid of Horde and Alliance. Let them stay, let them have small conflicts (as in battlegrounds and such). But on several occasions those two factions stood together against common foe and yet players still have no option to play together. It would be enough to allow players to group up if they wanted, to get rid of the stupid mob tagging, give people an option to heal each other too.
    Bolvar and Saurfang stood side by side against the Lich King. Characters like Brann or Thrall regularly help anyone. We had common class halls. There are many small factions which cooperate with both Horde and Alliance so you can both be part of Argent Dawn or Cenarion Circle but you can't heal your pal? It just doesn't make sense anymore to not allow players to work togheter.

    Of course if someone wants to fight they could. PvP will still be there too.

  4. #184
    More like the whole MMO genre is an outdated concept.

  5. #185
    Legendary! Fahrenheit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    6,555
    I wouldn't be shocked that if after BFA runs it's course factions are largely done away with for all practical purposes. Subs numbers are only going to continue to dwindle as it's a 15 year old game without much mass appeal to younger fresh players. I doubt faction balance is going to improve, meaning one faction (the Alliance) is going to continue to fade to irrelevance in end game areas as the remaining players continue to coalesce to the faction with the most players.

    From a lore perspective, I suspect they're going through all this trouble to villainize Sylvanas and build up Saurfang as working with the Alliance to get the "honorable Horde" back for this purpose. I think come the end of BfA the Horde will be led by Saurfang, Baine, Calia Menthil and Lor'Themar and it'll pave the way for opening up the factions to one another. I think Sylvanas, Blightcaller, Genn, Gallywix are all gone or dead, come the end of the expansion.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

    Sovereign
    Mass Effect

  6. #186
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    6,418
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    I love how the fanboys will use warcraftrealms when it suits their argument.

    But if I was to say that based on the data you just showed me that WoW is down to a million subs your fucking head would explode and you'd be screeching.
    The census data is basically a sample of the total player base. If you assume that the sample is random in nature (ie not biased towards one faction or the other - for which there is no reason to believe that it would be) then it is perfectly valid for estimating horde:alliance ratios. Given the significant sample size it's going to be pretty accurate too.

    That doesn't mean that it will be useful for making estimates of total population size.

    So your complaint is invalid. The data is relevant to his argument. It is not relevant to discussions about sub numbers.

  7. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    And what could that change be about? Honest question
    Not that they will scrap the factions, but that a Horde player can raid with his Alliance friends and vica versa.

    Just wait and see!!!! :P
    Zandalari music for BfA. Pure GOLD!

    Tortollan or Clash of Clans will kill WoW.

  8. #188
    Quote Originally Posted by roboscorcher View Post
    The biggest problem with factions is that it splits the community. If you're a new player, you basically have to choose some friends over others at the start screen.

    If BfA wants to do something right, they'll add some sort of faction truce that will allow all players to PvE together. Sure, PvP will make less sense, but who cares?
    That would work out just fine.

    Imagine Class Orders returning to save Azeroth from the war by the factions again, lead by Khadgar, Magni and some other promiment figures from both factions who are connected with the peace-making or not overly aggressive attitude (Baine, Anduin, Lor'Themar, Dwarven council, Pandaren; Saurfang and Zekhan would probably also be on board here, who knows), and the leaders of some neutral factions like Argent Crusade or Cenarion Circle. They come together and win the fight for the life on Azeroth, and then put ot the ultimatum for everyone to join forces permanently or suffer the consequences.

    We would then get an "Azeroth United" faction for all PvE purposes, where all playable races are included. Some things would have to be sorted out, like the enmity between Forsaken and Gilneans, or Blood Elves and Void Elves, or Orcs and Nightelves, whatever, but let's assume that all people joining this big faction would emphasize on forgiving the past and turning to the future, with some big, evil things looming on the horizon (Old Gods, Void Lords, whatever else there might be).

    But on both sides, we would have radical extremists who cannot let go of the past. These groups would keep on going into fights with each other, and probably also attack the members of the new faction who have been enemies before, and extend their hatred to the people of their own former faction who would be "traitors" to their cause. These conflicts would keep all PvP in the world and in BGs alive. Players who participate in such activities, would either identify with the extremists (even their PvE activities are handled via the big new faction), or act like mercenaries. Arena does not need factions, anyway.
    Last edited by scubistacy; 2018-12-06 at 02:10 PM.

  9. #189
    0.2% of wow population race change due to racials.

  10. #190
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    Are you actually saying Alliance outweighs the Horde in any sort of PvE or PvP ranking?
    Wooow, seems desperate. So now its better players play horde? I'd agree, alliance skum :P

  11. #191
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    Horde has dominated both PvP and PvE ever since.
    Wow, I'd like to play on the server you're on. Out of 20 horde pvp games in a day, horde wins maybe 3 of them. All I ever see in bgs is afkers, bots, or people just fighting and ignoring objectives to get the most kills, then they call everyone else noobs when we lose.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

  12. #192
    I like the lineage 2 pvp system all can stick against everyone and everyone can interact with everyone.

    the war within the game is not prefended. the clans (guilds) declare wars and fight among themselves

  13. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    He's right. You're wrong. http://warcraftrealms.com/census.php
    Warcraftrealms is hugely inaccurate, for the record.
    i am not the real stegblob. My blog where I review books and crap.

  14. #194
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymootwo View Post
    No I didn’t. I made Blizzard sound like a company that would realize that dividing your player base even further is stupid. And we aren't even separated by servers anymore for the most part, unless you're raiding Mythic but even that is temporary.
    You say no, but then you agree with me that dividing the player base is stupid. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me ?

    Even if WoW only had 100,000 players, that's more than enough to populate a dozen or so factions if there's no arbitrary paywall dividing them and incentives are distributed properly to the least populated of the factions.

  15. #195
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    You say no, but then you agree with me that dividing the player base is stupid. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me ?

    Even if WoW only had 100,000 players, that's more than enough to populate a dozen or so factions if there's no arbitrary paywall dividing them and incentives are distributed properly to the least populated of the factions.
    The problem with that is that the more walls you have between you and who you can play with, your chances of finding skilled/enjoyable people doing the same thing you want to do continually shrink.

    Think about it. You're divided by faction, level, item level, content you want to consume, etc already ...

    Timewalking and battle grounds show level divides aren't as important as people used to think they were. Faction divides are a bit outdated, unless you want a PvP centric game.

  16. #196
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    The problem with that is that the more walls you have between you and who you can play with, your chances of finding skilled/enjoyable people doing the same thing you want to do continually shrink.

    Think about it. You're divided by faction, level, item level, content you want to consume, etc already ...

    Timewalking and battle grounds show level divides aren't as important as people used to think they were. Faction divides are a bit outdated, unless you want a PvP centric game.
    I did think about it, thats why I argued for a faction system that doesn't separate the playerbase artificially.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •