Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Island Expedition Rewards Update, New Pet Battle Dungeon - Gnomeregan

New Battle.Net Avatars, Blue Posts, War on Lordaeron Fan Film, DLC #657

Island Expedition Rewards Update
    Patch 8.1 will change Island Expedition rewards from being based on the NPCs you kill to the NPCs that are on the island.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    In Tides of Vengeance, in addition to two new Island Expeditions, we’re making a number of adjustments and improvements to Islands. One of those changes will alter how various cosmetic rewards are determined, and we’d like to explain that further, as we promised here: https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/sta...80683058487297

Currently in Battle for Azeroth, Island Expeditions have a chance to reward cosmetic items based on which type of creatures you and your team defeated. For example, if the island theme of the week was Hozen, there’s a chance to receive one of the Banana toys. If the invaders were Nerubian, you could have a chance to receive the Voru’kar Leecher companion pet (among other things). They way this has worked is by means of a hidden scorecard that counted your group’s efforts against anything on the island that was part of the invaders’ ecology. So if anyone in the group earned some Azerite from killing invaders or mining Azerite near the invaders, everyone in the group had a chance at the cosmetic rewards. That chance grew based on how much invaders’ Azerite was obtained, and was also a higher chance in Heroic and even higher in Mythic difficulty Islands. We set the maximum chance you could earn at a reasonable threshold, in the hopes that players wouldn’t feel that they needed to only kill invaders and not complete the islands in a natural way.

Of course, that’s not how it worked out. Confusion around the best way to get cosmetics led to a divergence in playstyles, with some players wishing to focus exclusively on hunting specific creatures, while others wished to win the island efficiently to get Azerite. This caused a significant amount of tension between players who had differing goals.

In Tides of Vengeance, all players on an Expedition will have a chance to receive cosmetic rewards based on the island’s inhabitants, rather than which enemies were specifically defeated. That chance will again be higher on higher difficulties, but there will be no need to strategize around invaders. The most efficient way to receive cosmetic rewards will be whatever tactics cause you to complete the Island quickly, on the highest difficulty that you’re comfortable.

Thanks to everyone who has stormed our high seas with feedback on this. We really appreciate it.

New Pet Battle Dungeon - Gnomeregan
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    It’s time to martial your menagerie and put your best battle pets forward within the halls of Gnomeregan.

To get started on your journey, you’ll need to have earned the achievement All Growns Up!, which requires you to raise a pet to level 25. This will make a new quest available to you from Radek Fuselock, who is located near the pet battle trainers in Dazar’alor, or Tizzy Gearjolt, who is located just outside of Dana Pull’s shop in Hook Point in Boralus. You won’t need to complete the Wailing Caverns or Deadmines pet battle dungeons to gain access, and with the release of the Tides of Vengeance content update, you’ll be able to play the three pet battle dungeons in any order.

Completing the quest and pet battle dungeon the first time earns you an Ultimate Battle-Training Stone. You’ll also be able to avail yourself of Manapoof’s aid to teleport directly to Gnomeregan’s dungeon entrance as a part of the quest reward.

For those daring to push your team, you can take on the Challenge Mode version of the dungeon, which requires you to have at least 15 maximum-level battle pets. This will open an account-wide weekly quest that you can pick up from Micro Zoox, who’s waiting outside the Gnomeregan instance portal.

Completing the Challenge Mode the first time will grant the achievement Pet Battle Challenge: Gnomeregan, which rewards a Mini Spider Tank battle pet. Return each week to complete the quest and you’ll earn the reward Pristine Gizmo, which can be exchanged for items from Micro Zoox including an Unopened Gnomeregan Supply Box, Mechanical Cockroach, Schematic: Mechantula, Leper Rat Tail, and Rechargeable Alarm-O-Dog Battery.

Whether you’re new to pet battle dungeons or a companion-combat veteran, you’ll want to get in on the ongoing story as it unfolds. Who are the shadowy figures that keep appearing? What do they want? What are their nefarious plans? Discover what awaits your critter pals next in Gnomeregan!
    Last edited by chaud; 2018-12-03 at 06:47 PM.

Another band-aid on Island Expeditions, I guess.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    It’s not really a bandaid just a flat fix. You’ll no longer have to try and stall out the island so you can kill a rare while the randoms just rush ahead.

15+ Year Old Account
    Glad they cleared that up.

Like before, I will continue to do heroics as that has been without a doubt the most consistent for getting rewards for me.
    Thankfully there will be less confusion now in how rewards are obtained and the realization that lemming teammates are screwing it all up.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    It's odd as it takes the one piece of player agency (what you kill) out of the loot system. It doesn't change the RNG overload required for loot unless the drop chances have been increased again.

It also doesn't address how what is on the island for loot purposes is decided. Is the invasion decided at the start and those mobs count whether it spawns or not?

Don't care for Island Expeditions but looking forward to that Gnomeregan pet battle dungeon. Should take a whole 20 minutes to complete assuming I get up to get a glass of water.

Content where you were rewarded differently based on how you tackle it - and where the reward system was a cloud of mystery and had to be figured out.

Now that's gone.

Thank you whiners

Quote Originally Posted by Lushious View Post
    Content where you were rewarded differently based on how you tackle it - and where the reward system was a cloud of mystery and had to be figured out.

Now that's gone.

Thank you whiners
    Know what's ironic? What you're doing right now is whining.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    No you are, stop whining about whiners.

They might be whining, but they aren't wrong. People complained about the rng factor regarding island rewards. So blizzard took away what little control we had, making it even more of an rng fiesta and passing it off as a "fix". Yet people are still praising blizzard for taking away more and more player agency.

I'm sure it wouldn't last - but I'm actually enjoying hunting for rares right now on Islands. I hop on my hunter, pull everything, feign death at the mob, kill it, rinse and repeat. The randomness of traversing the island and finding an out-of-place patch of pirates was kind of exciting - knowing that it gave me some chance at the bird.

I am not complaining about whining in general. I am complaining about whining causing a negative impact (IMO) on the game

wow ok love the change on isle expedition. Now i jsut focus on finish the place quick

So... People thought island expeditions were to hard to get items and people complained and now every gets a trophy.. Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    It’s not really a bandaid just a flat fix. You’ll no longer have to try and stall out the island so you can kill a rare while the randoms just rush ahead.
    I would agree on this. Most people have zero clue how to get loot out of the islands currently and trying to game them to have the best chance at loot currently means playing them in ways the whole design of the island seems contradict.

With this change especially if they clarify you can get the invasion boss loot without having to find/kill them you won't have to worry about weird sand bagging to get the invasion stuff to spawn and not have to worry people are looting the random azerite nodes to fast.

Now just play the island complete it and have your chance for items for the stuff that could drop off that island. That should make for a lot more consistent feel.

I do believe they need to change the spawn triggers for the final invasion event for heroic/mythic. Those fights are interesting and add fun to the experience but on higher difficulties by the time the invasion wave with the portals spawn the match is already over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post
    They might be whining, but they aren't wrong. People complained about the rng factor regarding island rewards. So blizzard took away what little control we had, making it even more of an rng fiesta and passing it off as a "fix". Yet people are still praising blizzard for taking away more and more player agency.
    To be fair I prefer to have flat out chance for reward than pursuing some specific rares or objects on the Island. I wanna have done them as fast as possible because I dont enjoy them and when you get different people in the party (one who wanna hunt specific rares and other who does not give a fuk) its just annoying.

Also the drop from specific rares wasnt 100% chance so how is this "adding more rng"? For me its less because you now dont have to kill those mobs at all.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post
    Wait how is there more rng now then before? Now you either get the loot when you finish or you don’t where before you needed to get a group willing to stall out and island if your playing solo and hope the enemy team doesn’t kill the mobs you want.

The "Gogogogogogo" crowd wins again. Participation must be really low for them to abandon the mechanics like this.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    I do believe they need to change the spawn triggers for the final invasion event for heroic/mythic. Those fights are interesting and add fun to the experience but on higher difficulties by the time the invasion wave with the portals spawn the match is already over.
    Hopefully that will be part of the changes in 8.1 the portals are always nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    To be fair I prefer to have flat out chance for reward than pursuing some specific rares or objects on the Island. I wanna have done them as fast as possible because I dont enjoy them and when you get different people in the party (one who wanna hunt specific rares and other who does not give a fuk) its just annoying.

Also the drop from specific rares wasnt 100% chance so how is this "adding more rng"? For me its less because you now dont have to kill those mobs at all.
    But changes to 8.1 would already had fixed this, without ruining the expeditions! Invasions are still the fastest way to grind azerite, instead of grinding croc #742. In 8.1 the Azerite giant wont neccesarily spawn, but be part of an invasion pool. With this change, every single item can drop, and you have NO WAY of influencing it. You'll never get your last mount now.