Poll: Communities - Your experience

Thread: Communities

Communities

How have communities panned out for you guys? The new BFA social tool. Are you in an active one? If so, what for? Did you join any communities that became inactive?
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2018-12-05 at 06:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    How have communities panned out for you guys? The new BFA social tool. Are you in an active one? If so, what for? Did you join any communities that became inactive?
    Member of multiple community groups ranging from roleplaying, community roleplay, RBG planning, Raiding Alliances, Completionist group and one for friends to banter.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    One for raiding,one for World PvP. It's not a bad feature,though I check the chat of the communities about once in a week.

Forgot they were added, nobody i know uses them. i get blizzard wants to "keep the user in the ecosystem" but WoW doesn't exist in a vaccum and there are existing ways i organising playing with the folks i want to play with.

I made one for myself, that`s about it.
    Least i think i did, not alot of activity going on there.

I personally like how you can link communities in-game, but they should have upped the cap beyond 1k, expanded on the permission system, and made it cross-faction opening up the possibility for communities to function across your account. Couple ones I joined died off though (WPVP stuff)

I also feel like the system got a bad start because it was the main source of poor server performance on launch

5+ Year Old Account
    For what I saw, almost nobody uses them in my server. I think I've seen two or three community ads in Org, and little more. And those were all PvP oriented ones... Idk where are the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard is so confused about the social aspect of their game. They toss this out there--it's not a bad idea--and then say nothing about it for weeks and months.

I belong to a couple of communities and they aren't overly active but there are people there and I've met some players that I've grouped up with and they've brought along some friends from time to time and it's probably better than it would be without them at all. Blizzard would be well-served by having someone on the development team that is more expert at online social systems, how they work, and what they need to work better. I don't see any sign of that at all.

They design this game that requires you to be in groups to do things and then do not do anything to improve or promote better ways to form social groups. I think they're just lost on the topic and if they can't figure it out then perhaps they should just use their fancy new AI to generate some helpful NPC's and let people run normal dungeons by themselves.

It's annoying as hell to see Blizzard building a game that is inherently social and then sabotaging that by being so clumsy about how social groups work. Very frustrating.

They've done much the same things with guilds. Granted the perk system sabotaged the whole guild thing in Cataclysm but since then they haven't even tried to repair it or think of anything better except to build the perks in and then retreat never to speak of it again. Just...ugh. Sorry, now I'm ranting.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2018-12-07 at 02:49 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I’m in like 2 or 3 communities. 2 of them have about 100 people or more I believe and they aren’t active. None of the ones I’m in are active at all.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    communities could potentially be the biggest failure of this expansion. Has blizzard even addressed their success and or failure since they announced the system?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well im in one, but we just dont use it...discord is miles better.

Should have come years earlier. Like 7-8 years earlier. Discord basically covers this need now, and I don't think groups over discord would want to move their shop to the bnet thingie.

Discord does everything communities do, but better.

I made a macro for /guildroster and bound that. I haven't even seen the community tab in months because I hate the guild UI.

Honestly forgot they existed.