Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I can't stand Trump, but I don't mind this assuming he is not doing this because of his personal beliefs. I was at a Catholic wedding where I was one of two people out of ~150 who didn't kneel to pray.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is written into the constitution of the US that no religious test shall be required for a person to hold a federal office. I hate Trump for many reasons, but in this case I don't think he did anything wrong at all. He stood as a gesture of respect, and if anything, I feel it would be the height of disrespect for him (or anyone else) to recite an oath claiming beliefs that are not things they actually believe in.

I guess it's all good as long as he doesn't take a knee lol

Trump not singing the hymns or saying the prayer really doesn't bother me.

What I did find amusing was when Bush was giving everyone a handshake. He gives Trump a quick 'fuck you' handshake and goes on to give everyone else a 'thank you for coming' handshake.

10+ Year Old Account
    All those saying this doesn't matter; it isn't about whether he said the creed or not, really. It's about how he portrayed himself, falsely, as a devout Christian to court the Evangelical extremist vote. His behaviour here proves it was a lie. We knew it was, but ta-da, proof.

This is about the hypocrisy and gullibility of the Evangelical voters, who only vote for a candidate if they're "Christian enough", but also only care about lip service, not actual moral values.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    Trump not singing the hymns or saying the prayer really doesn't bother me.

What I did find amusing was when Bush was giving everyone a handshake. He gives Trump a quick 'fuck you' handshake and goes on to give everyone else a 'thank you for coming' handshake.
    Also watch carefully to see him sneak Michelle Obama some candy with their handshake.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    perhaps he was advised about the religion clause in first amendment, which technically forbids any promotion of any religion by government. or he was just lazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Also watch carefully to see him sneak Michelle Obama some candy with their handshake.
    That was adorable...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

whatever, there are thousands of things that are more important to criticize Trump on before this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    I think it's a ridiculous thing to be expected to say, quite honestly.
    And you're more than welcome to have that opinion. And I'm guessing, if you had been there and chosen not to say it, it would not have been an issue at all.

But, Trump intentionally ran to get the religious vote. He claimed the Bible was his favorite book, for example. For him, and him alone, to fail something so basic I was doing it by rote when I was eight just proves how big of a liar he is.

Again.

So he deserves every single scrap of negative press on this one. Every word, every joke, every meme. His proven words and actions directly conflict with the teachings of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ nearly daily -- even, as we saw, a day he took off to go to church. This was his doing. He gets to suck it up.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is almost as dumb as 2 scoops. Almost.

I hate trump but I don't really care that he did not do this. It is not important. He stood with everybody else. That is enough. Don't nitpick about crap that doesn't matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    All those saying this doesn't matter; it isn't about whether he said the creed or not, really. It's about how he portrayed himself, falsely, as a devout Christian to court the Evangelical extremist vote. His behaviour here proves it was a lie. We knew it was, but ta-da, proof.

This is about the hypocrisy and gullibility of the Evangelical voters, who only vote for a candidate if they're "Christian enough", but also only care about lip service, not actual moral values.

- - - Updated - - -

Those people are willfully in denial. There is not anything you could do to change their mind.

Trump has had two small fuck ups regarding the religious right that should have clued them in on the fraud.

Have you ever dealt with someone bullshitting you, but you weren't sure until they slipped up? Maybe they get an important detail wrong or use the wrong words. This happens a lot with Trump, but the two that stick in my mind is one from each of the last two presidential elections. In the 2012 run a reporter asked him about a woman's right to privacy and he thought she meant from guys looking in their window or something. Meanwhile, if you have ever gave a shit about the abortion issue you know exactly what that question means. The second from this last time was, of course, him saying "two corinthians" instead of "second".

These may seem like small things and after all, Trump has lived his entire life doing the exact opposite of what Jesus taught. So it's not like there's any doubt he never was and still isn't christian by any stretch of the imagination. But, modern republican christians don't exactly follow the teachings of Jesus either.

Either way there's really no excuse for republican christians.
    Last edited by Blur4stuff; 2018-12-06 at 05:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do not really care. Same with this stupid one:

'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    2 scoops was very important! How would you feel if you got 1 scoop of vanilla icecream, while I got 2 scoops of oreo? At the same diner, for same price!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

It's crazy to me that this is an issue. I remember when people were calling Obama a muslim like it was an insult or something and I just thought to myself "even if its true, why would that be such a big deal?"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    2 scoops was very important! How would you feel if you got 1 scoop of vanilla icecream, while I got 2 scoops of oreo? At the same diner, for same price!
    I have rnough money to get a second. Or ill just ask my ex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    It's crazy to me that this is an issue. I remember when people were calling Obama a muslim like it was an insult or something and I just thought to myself "even if its true, why would that be such a big deal?"
    Actually, that's the perfect description of what's going on.

Trump ran on being the religious candidate, and was hailed as a savior when he was elected. Now, we see he's unable to even read one of the most well-known prayers in Christianity.

Obama was called a Muslim as a derogatory term, despite never once going to any Muslim ceremonies and attending Christian church regularly. He was also reading the prayer with everyone else.

The problem, is that a large number of people in this...look, I'll pass the mic on this one:

The floor of Congress is now going to look like an Islamic republic. We are a Judeo-Christian country. We are a nation rooted and grounded in Christianity and that’s that. And anybody that doesn’t like that, go live somewhere else. It’s very simple. Just go live somewhere else. Don’t try to change our country into some sort of Islamic republic or try to base our country on Sharia law.

That's E.W. Jackson, an actual pastor who ran for a Virginia Senate seat and lost. He said that yesterday. He was not condemned by others of his faith. He wasn't fired from his radio show. And there's been no protests at his church.

There's an old joke: you can get the Model T in any color you want, as long as it's black.

There's an old feeling in the Religious Right: you can run for office in any religion you want, as long as you're Christian.

And, yes, these same people look at Trump, failing the most basic test of church service, and say nothing. It's about hypocrisy. It's just more visible now that the Religious Right elected an adultering idolitor thief.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    I think it's a ridiculous thing to be expected to say, quite honestly.
    Not at all.

He regularly talks up his religious bonafides whenever he's around the "moral majority" folks, he's got a history of questioning Obama's religion with the implication being he's a Muslim (Obama recited the Apostle's Creed without bursting into flames), and it's not much of an ask. He was invited to a funeral service, you play by the rules in the funeral service. Every other living president and I would imagine every other attendee did. Trump didn't.

That matters. If Trump didn't pretend to be a devout Christian this wouldn't be an issue. But he does, so it is.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2018-12-06 at 06:44 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    But it's not, for a host of reasons. It's symbolic for everything that is wrong with Trump, the GOP, and their rabid ignorance willfully stupid followers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Remember, he's the guy that couldn't get the national anthem right during his own inauguration.
    I keep having the feeling in the back of my skull that Trump is going to skirt responsibility entirely by playing the mental illness card. Hopefully he'll be aware enough to see his kids go to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    As a proud hater of Trump, I don't give a shit if he chooses to not sing along. This is rather meaningless, and there are thousands of far better reasons to not like the guy.
    I'm an atheist and normally don't give a damn about this sort of thing either, but given that a) the very least one could do in this situation is humour those who believe and at least pretend for the sake of respecting the dead and b) he's hoisted on the shoulders of the religious right as being their Christian representative in office, he should have at least gone through the motions.

Granted, his actions the past 40 years have proven he's no more "Christian" that most of the rest of the people calling themselves such while throwing stones at anyone different from them, but still, it's a minor thing he could have done and still chose not to, instead standing there like a petulant toddler. Are there bigger things to rake him over the coals for? Oh fuck yes, on a daily basis he provides even more reasons to hate him. I'm just not willing to even let the small things go at this point. Hold him accountable for every tiny slight, along with those who continue to support his bullshit.