Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Here's a question.

Should I go in blind, not read about the in-game lore, and just learn as I go? I started WoW back in 2004 and I knew nothing about it, had never touched the other games. Whole thing was a mystery and I think that's why I enjoyed it so much back then.

What's the best approach for this on FFXIV? Is it beneficial to read some of the lore prior to starting?

Quote Originally Posted by Krelian80 View Post
    Here's a question.

Should I go in blind, not read about the in-game lore, and just learn as I go? I started WoW back in 2004 and I knew nothing about it, had never touched the other games. Whole thing was a mystery and I think that's why I enjoyed it so much back then.

What's the best approach for this on FFXIV? Is it beneficial to read some of the lore prior to starting?
    Like all final fantasies, the lore is different for each game. You need to read literally nothing to understand it. The whole game is custscenes and dialogue.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    Like all final fantasies, the lore is different for each game. You need to read literally nothing to understand it. The whole game is custscenes and dialogue.
    Gotcha. Sounds good to me.

Any tips for a beginner? For the record, I'm playing a Havoc DH on WoW and it's been by far my favorite play style in all of WoW. Just so it gives you an idea of what type of class I like.
    It'd be more interesting to know what kind of content you enjoy. If it's raiding, you'll probably clear all 4 bosses in a month and bail out. If it's dungeons, you'll bail out even faster, since they exist only as tomestone (local VP and JP) content. If you like leveling different classes, prepare to grind the same dungeons over and over again, since you run out of quests on your second class. If you like customizing your character, there are no trinkets, no stats variety and no talents. If you like PvP, just play something else. If you like story and useless fluff content, then it's a game for you, story is massive and useless fluff content is overabundant.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Here's a question.

well 1.0 and its story was removed with ARR and theres that:

beyond that all you need to know is aldenard, which is the player factions continent, is the only place for the most part summoning shows up in and it drains the land of life giving aether and the nearby empire of garlamald from ilsbard invaded to wipe out summoning and expand their borders. That and the world has gone through multiple cataclysms and resurgences called astral and umbral eras so sometimes they may talk about similar stuff but its two very different eras.

If you really get into it theres now two hardcover books really explaining it but all you need to know is the empire is still slowly invading after being pushed back by the moon dalamund falling from the sky in 2.0 and you are a new adventurer who gets caught up in what the empire and the primal summoning beast tribes are up to.
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2018-12-07 at 12:54 PM.

Gotcha. Sounds good to me.
    As a past FF player, you'll get more out of it than a non-FF player. There are little references and nods galore, some are obvious and some are very subtle.

I'll give you an example of a subtle one:

At level 50, the crafting class for Goldsmith got their class gear set.

No big deal, right? Until you dye it black or dark blue.

And you realize....

There are things like this all over. A gear set of the FF1 Warrior of Light, chocobos of course, Locke's outfit there, the dragoon set invokes Kain, Gilgamesh appears, the Primals are the summons (Ifrit, Garuda, and Titan to start off with more later).

If you're looking for a game to enjoy at your own pace, to explore the story, and relish the sheer amount of detail that has gone into tying story and lore into EVERY SINGLE THING they can, you'll enjoy FFXIV. As a Final Fantasy fan that's played through all the past games, you'll enjoy the nostalgia that's sprinkled throughout, including the way they've re-envisioned certain things to fit the world of Eorzea. The implementation of Matoya from FF1 is phenomenal and the re-work of her cave's music is completely different from the upbeat original yet gives so much perfection to that moment in the story.

Also, talk to everyone. When you got from A to B and there are NPCs standing at your quest turn in, talk to them before you turn it in. There's additional flavor in their dialogue.

Since you mentioned FF9, they used to have a rewards program for staying subscribed. It's discontinued in that they no longer add new things, but you still earn the old ones. One of them is Zidane's outfit from FF9. People have made pretty spot on glamour sets (transmog) of Dagger as well.

You've got the right mindset for the approach. Immerse yourself, enjoy the story, and just do things as you feel like exploring them. Each job has their own story, so if you get tired of some of the grindier parts of the MSQ from 1-50, take a break and explore crafting or gathering or another combat job. Just poking around with FATEs and doing hunt logs can break up the monotony.

As for lore, you don't need to read anything. Watch this for the 1.0 recap and you'll be good to go:

Last edited by Faroth; 2018-12-10 at 03:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As an active Wow player who also dabbles in FFXIV during WoW downtimes, the two are very different games and I enjoy them both for very different reasons.

For FFXIV, follow the MSQ closely and dont skip cutscenes - they form the core FF experience and are superbly done. There are some longish taxi quests which will annoy the crap out of you and niggling quality-of-life differences between the two games.

I enjoyed the FFXIV questing experience a lot, the community is solid and less toxic and people loves to help you out. Noobs are treated as new fans of the franchise instead of like trash in WoW. I always found that very positive. Have fun in Aorzea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Arcanist for a starter class is not a bad suggestion. It's like the warlock class, but, at 30 you can branch into warlock+ or warlock-healer. Further, when you get EXP, it goes to Arcanist, your core class. IE: Both the warlock+ and warlock-healer advanced classes each get the XP. You level two classes for one. Of course, game-play-wise, Arcanist, Summoner (Warlock+) and Scholar (warlock-heals) also have quite a fair bit of off global cooldown abilities. The thing that pisses off a lot of new players in FFXIV is the slow global cooldown.

That said, Red Mage, Dark Knight, and Astrologian are amazing classes, but they cannot be unlocked until later.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, my WoW time has come to an end. Until today I could at least find one or two reasons to stay. Now today there literally is nothing anymore.

So I downloaded the Starter Edition of FFXIV and will start when I get home. Been an FF player since FF3, so quite stoked to try it out but I also have no idea what to expect.

Any tips for a beginner? For the record, I'm playing a Havoc DH on WoW and it's been by far my favorite play style in all of WoW. Just so it gives you an idea of what type of class I like.
    Don't get into the crafting, it will only bring you pain

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Help
    Ninja or monk since they move around a lot.
    You cared enough to post.

Well, my WoW time has come to an end. Until today I could at least find one or two reasons to stay. Now today there literally is nothing anymore.

So I downloaded the Starter Edition of FFXIV and will start when I get home. Been an FF player since FF3, so quite stoked to try it out but I also have no idea what to expect.

Best advice I can give is... enjoy the main story. It's the meat of the game and there's no rushing to endgame (unless you buy a boost).

I will say, the Main Story Quests (MSQ) have a different icon from standard/side quests. There are also quests with a plus sign in their icon. Those unlock something, like using dyes or glamour. Focus on the Main Story Quests and the plus sign quests and save the side quests for leveling alt jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I gotta be honest with ya here...I'm not seeing the resemblance. :O
    You must be blind....

OY! I had a pic of it dyed, where'd it go?!

Added it back.

Gloves have to be dyed brown, which that pic isn't wearing, but if you dye it out to the corresponding colors to the sprite/artwork, they're pretty similar. I went with blue to lean more towards the sprite colors myself.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2018-12-10 at 03:22 PM.

Alright, man. If you can't see any similarities whatsoever, there's nothing I can say to change your mind.

I don't see how you can claim that, but alright.

First and most importantly, play a Lalafel they are the master race! One day soon they will rule all of Eorzea and the lesser races will know fear!

Take things slow , enjoy the story , do side quests etc , enjoy being in a world that exists to tell stories not just for people to blast through to get to the "real" game.

Classes / jobs ( there is not much difference now with all the changes ) are slow to start off, until later levels you miss many of your key skills, grin and bear it , things get much better.

Coming from wow the game will feel slow but don't let that fool you there is challenging content! Also the mele DPS classes play MUCH faster than casters tanks and healers and you have to use off the GCD skills in between your normal rotation, its not as easy as it looks or as slow/boring as some people will tell you.

Some of the rep factions have amazing stories , its not a generic grind like in wow..... ok will it is a grind, but there is a reason for it story wise unlike the do random world quests system in wow.

Do all the Hildibrand Manderville quests once you get to 50 and beyond they are amazing.

Try out other classes , do some crafting and gathering ( gathering is full blown job in FF14 and not just a click on the herb system).

Just have fun and enjoy the world.

Oh and if your in eureka when your max level ALWAYS pull the fate before everyone gets there , the mountains of salt are delicious.
    Power corrupts, unlimited power... is even more fun!

5+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the replies!

I haven't had the chance to start yet because life got insane, but I'll start for good in a week or so. From everything I'm reading, I think I'll enjoy it more than WoW. I don't want quick max level, I game to kill time for the most part, so if there's a ton of story content, I'll be perfectly happy. And the FF style is totally my thing, so I'm not worried it'll be slow or anything.

Still can't make up my mind on a race or job though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    Ninja or monk since they move around a lot.
    I was thinking one of those, too. Ninja sounds awesome. Even though in past FF games, I had a fondness for Dragoons. ( <3 Freya)

Still can't make up my mind on a race....
    LALAFEL!!

We have been over this , they are the best race, no the MASTER RACE!
    Power corrupts, unlimited power... is even more fun!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjoy View Post
    LALAFEL!!

We have been over this , they are the best race, no the MASTER RACE!
    Everyone knows miqo'te rule the world, but let's just face the facts, little lala.... we'll both be outnumbered when the bunnies invade.

This thread has me intrigued. Does the game still have a subscription fee? Also....is there anyway to play a black mage that look likes the black mage from final fantasy tactics?

Quote Originally Posted by hexzero13 View Post
    This thread has me intrigued. Does the game still have a subscription fee? Also....is there anyway to play a black mage that look likes the black mage from final fantasy tactics?
    Still has a subscription fee, yes.

If you're just wanting that classic black mage visual, there are a few options to achieve it. The best is to play a lalafell, choose the darkest skin and yellow eyes, then eventually put together the gear set.

Their leveling system is pretty bad, i wouldnt recommend anyone go trough all those MSQ, so if you want to play buy a level boost