Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    whats so bad about the leveling through the main story?

Quote Originally Posted by hexzero13 View Post
    whats so bad about the leveling through the main story?
    Nothing at all.

The only big slog is A Realm Reborn post 50 since there are 100 quests to get to Heavensward.

If you like story focused games then don't buy a story skip.

Quote Originally Posted by Krelian80 View Post
    Here's a question.

Should I go in blind, not read about the in-game lore, and just learn as I go? I started WoW back in 2004 and I knew nothing about it, had never touched the other games. Whole thing was a mystery and I think that's why I enjoyed it so much back then.

What's the best approach for this on FFXIV? Is it beneficial to read some of the lore prior to starting?
    Read up on the events of the original FFXIV, since that leads into ARR. The opening cinematic shows the events of the final battle, but it's interesting to see what lead to it.

Other than that everything is loosely explained in-game, you might want to consider reading up on bigger things as you encounter them, namely the primals and the Empire bosses. A lot of the creatures are as they are in other games, I know a lot of the creatures are seen in FFX for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Krelian80 View Post
    Well, my WoW time has come to an end. Until today I could at least find one or two reasons to stay. Now today there literally is nothing anymore.

So I downloaded the Starter Edition of FFXIV and will start when I get home. Been an FF player since FF3, so quite stoked to try it out but I also have no idea what to expect.

Any tips for a beginner? For the record, I'm playing a Havoc DH on WoW and it's been by far my favorite play style in all of WoW. Just so it gives you an idea of what type of class I like.
    you will have a very hard time swapping from super fast and nice flow gameplay of havoc DH to ultra slow pace of leveling in FF

if you will get past it its really good game but its has really truly mega slow gameplay compared to wow

The ff14 website is down at the moment so sorry I can't look into this...hoping maybe somebody could help.

I read somewhere(I think) that there is a free trial that allows you to level to 35. Is that accurate?

Also is it entirely free? Like i don't need to buy the base game or anything?

Also looking on Steam I see that you can buy the base game, or the base game and Stormblood...do I have to by Heavensward too or is that included now?

And lastly...somebody above said after the MSQ there is 100 quests until Heavensward...does that mean u have to spend a ton of time at 50 before you can do the content that leads to 60?

Thanks!

The ff14 website is down at the moment so sorry I can't look into this...hoping maybe somebody could help.

I read somewhere(I think) that there is a free trial that allows you to level to 35. Is that accurate?

Also is it entirely free? Like i don't need to buy the base game or anything?

Also looking on Steam I see that you can buy the base game, or the base game and Stormblood...do I have to by Heavensward too or is that included now?

And lastly...somebody above said after the MSQ there is 100 quests until Heavensward...does that mean u have to spend a ton of time at 50 before you can do the content that leads to 60?

Thanks!
    Yep it's a free perma trial to 35

Yep. Stormblood includes Heavensward.

And depends how quick you are tbh. A good chunk of the A Realm Reborn post 50 stuff is breadcrumb so I'd say a few days casually at most.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Yep it's a free perma trial to 35

Yep. Stormblood includes Heavensward.

And depends how quick you are tbh. A good chunk of the A Realm Reborn post 50 stuff is breadcrumb so I'd say a few days casually at most.
    Thanks. I think I'll check out the trial and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Everyone knows miqo'te rule the world, but let's just face the facts, little lala.... we'll both be outnumbered when the bunnies invade.

Miqo'te are ok , you will have a place when we rebuild the mighty Nymian Empire

The bunnies will have to be exterminated! I will get my mighty Lalamrines right on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daevied View Post
    Their leveling system is pretty bad, i wouldnt recommend anyone go trough all those MSQ, so if you want to play buy a level boost

NO , just NO. That would be like buying a book and just reading the last chapter. Honestly not much point in playing at all if you do that.
    Last edited by andrewjoy; 2018-12-13 at 04:32 PM.
    Power corrupts, unlimited power... is even more fun!

Thanks!
    Once you hit 50 and complete the original A Realm Reborn MSQ, you'll have 100 A Realm Reborn patch MSQ quests before you can start Heavensward. However, you'll be getting xp from them, so you'll be getting Heavensward levels before entering that expansion's content. But yeah, they're required before starting the expansion MSQ content.

That said, a lot of that quest stuff does tie into story stuff for the current expansion - Stormblood. Even though it's a little sloggish, I've not had a terrible issue with it. I've played through it on two alts now (alts are 100% unnecessary in this game unless you just really really want different character races to poke around with. I leveled both of mine pretty much completely due to getting an idea for an FC Private Room design I wanted to make with them).

Thanks. I think I'll check out the trial and see how it goes.
    Just to warn you since you mentioned Steam. If you get the base game or trial through Steam, you must buy the expansions through Steam as well. You can't mix and match Steam and non-Steam versions.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    Just to warn you since you mentioned Steam. If you get the base game or trial through Steam, you must buy the expansions through Steam as well. You can't mix and match Steam and non-Steam versions.
    Thanks for the heads up. Is there any difference between the steam version and non-steam version? Is either of them better than the other in any way?

Thanks for the heads up. Is there any difference between the steam version and non-steam version? Is either of them better than the other in any way?
    Not really. I use the Steam version and it works fine.

Just as Rohan said if you buy through Steam you have to upgrade through Steam and whatnot. Not really any hassle.

like any mmo find a guild/company of people who are like minded players. I really enjoyed how active my guild was in that game which made end game even better then what I thought it was already.

Nope. PC, Steam, and PS4 players all play with each other on the same servers.

My guess is that it has something to do with how Steam applies patches to update the game. But there's no difference once you start playing the game.

Nope. PC, Steam, and PS4 players all play with each other on the same servers.

My guess is that it has something to do with how Steam applies patches to update the game. But there's no difference once you start playing the game.
    Nah not really. It's still done via the launcher even on Steam.

Just the initial steam 10gb download stays stuck on 2.0 or w/e. So basically never "verify integrity of game cache" on it because it just fucks it up and has to redownload the entire 10gb of the Steam download.

Nah not really. It's still done via the launcher even on Steam.

Just the initial steam 10gb download stays stuck on 2.0 or w/e. So basically never "verify integrity of game cache" on it because it just fucks it up and has to redownload the entire 10gb of the Steam download.
    Not sure what you mean...so it stays stuck on an old patch through steam?

Not sure what you mean...so it stays stuck on an old patch through steam?
    No.

Basically Steam does a 10GB download. Then you update it properly through the normal game launcher.

That 10GB download is basically still stuck on patch 2.0 data I think. It's nothing to worry about.

No.

Basically Steam does a 10GB download. Then you update it properly through the normal game launcher.

That 10GB download is basically still stuck on patch 2.0 data I think. It's nothing to worry about.
    Ohhh gotcha. Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to keep piling on new questions. So is the free download only through the website? No steam free trial?

Also does my character from the free trial carry over if I buy the full version?
    Last edited by hexzero13; 2018-12-13 at 08:02 PM.

Sorry to keep piling on new questions. So is the free download only through the website? No steam free trial?

Also does my character from the free trial carry over if I buy the full version?
    There should be a free trial through Steam. It might be labelled as "Demo".

Yes, your character carries over. Just make sure you use the same type (Steam, non-Steam) and account.

There should be a free trial through Steam. It might be labelled as "Demo".

Yes, your character carries over. Just make sure you use the same type (Steam, non-Steam) and account.
    Thanks again!

So I am leaning towards focusing on Black Mage first. In WoW I have almost exclusively played melee since WotLK but I always loved the mage characters in Final Fantasy games. Are they a good choice to start with?