Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Have they fixed the hitbox lag in this game?

Last time I played this game was 5 years ago. And I remember quitting because when I was doing high end-game content, the server lag meant that the hitboxes originating from boss attacks were not accurate. Your character model visually showed that you were out of the fire but the server still registered you in it.

That's a problem with most MMOs located on Asian servers.

As many faults as WoW has, you can't take away Blizzard's impeccable netcode and sub-20ms ping.

Has that improved in any way for FFXIV or do you still gotta move out of the fire 2 seconds before the hitbox disappears or you get punished for the game's shit netcode?

Haven't played on Asian servers to be able to tell you, but I've never had that trouble, been playing for about a year and a half on a US server
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

10+ Year Old Account
    what...........asian servers? did you choose them specifically? there are NA servers, and it has slight or high lag depending on your isp and such but thats a mix of different variables.

If you mean the server side lag then year they have added new data centers and more are coming with Shadowbringers. That "you need wtfast to beat Titan HM to see plumes" shit is a distant memory.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Pretty sure you still need to move half a second to a second ahead of the timers or you still get hit by stuff.

The only thing I can think of that is similar is FFXIV is punishing if you stand in the red box when it disappears. If you had a foot in the red box when it disappears, you are getting hit even if the actual casting/damaging ability happens 2 seconds after, due to animation.

It isn't like WoW where if you're not there when the animation goes out, you're safe. If you're still there when the marker goes away, you will still get hit by the attack even if you are out of the animation. This works both ways, though - after the AoE marker disappears, you can walk into where it was and not get hit by the attack despite the animation hitting you.

If you really ARE talking about lag, as other people said - why play on Asian servers when they've had NA servers since launch?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny
    That "you need wtfast to beat Titan HM to see plumes" shit is a distant memory.
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. That Titan HM fight was fucking impossible because your character clearly showed you were out of the red shit but you still got hit. I quit because of it.

Have they fixed it?

Quote Originally Posted by Elennoko
    It isn't like WoW where if you're not there when the animation goes out, you're safe. If you're still there when the marker goes away, you will still get hit by the attack even if you are out of the animation. This works both ways, though - after the AoE marker disappears, you can walk into where it was and not get hit by the attack despite the animation hitting you.
    Wait, fuck. That's actually what I'm talking about. I quit the game over that fuckery. Guess I won't be coming back.

Thanks for the info.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lollermittens View Post
    Last time I played this game was 5 years ago. And I remember quitting because when I was doing high end-game content, the server lag meant that the hitboxes originating from boss attacks were not accurate. Your character model visually showed that you were out of the fire but the server still registered you in it.

That's a problem with most MMOs located on Asian servers.
    I think the problem was never lag or netcode but purely awful GAME code.

From Closed Beta all the way up to Heavensward (haven't played after that) the game seemed to update your location at a very slow rate.
    I remember that everytime I jumped or performed any action such as an attack it apparently forced a "position update".
    So as long as I pressed some button after getting out of the fire, I'd be safe, but if I didn't, I would get hit even though I'm outside the hitbox, unless I got out of the fire way earlier than needed to give time for the game's "heartbeat" to kick in.

To this day despite all the excuses the devs came up with I'm pretty sure the slow GCD came from the same place as the slow position update and loading screens - bad game code limitations.
    I mean, we have WoW using a modified version of Warcraft 3 engine and yet requiring no loading screens between huge areas, and then we have FFXIV:ARR which was developed way more recently requiring loading screens for extremely small locations.

Just bad GAME code.
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2018-12-10 at 08:16 PM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

It is a little bit dependant on where you are playing from too.

An example being this.

Before Heavensward the EU servers used to be located in NA. So no matter what there would always be a natural MS spike of around 80+.

Which meant on Titan you had to move out quite a bit earlier than usual.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post

From Closed Beta all the way up to Heavensward (haven't played after that) the game seemed to update your location at a very slow rate.
    I remember that everytime I jumped or performed any action such as an attack it apparently forced a "position update".
    So as long as I pressed some button after getting out of the fire, I'd be safe, but if I didn't, I would get hit even though I'm outside the hitbox, unless I got out of the fire way earlier than needed to give time for the game's "heartbeat" to kick in.

To this day despite all the excuses the devs came up with I'm pretty sure the slow GCD came from the same place as the slow position update and loading screens - bad game code limitations.
    I mean, we have WoW using a modified version of Warcraft 3 engine and yet requiring no loading screens between huge areas, and then we have FFXIV:ARR which was developed way more recently requiring loading screens for extremely small locations.

Just bad GAME code.
    Agreed. I quit the game because of that: if my character shows I'm outside of the hitbox damage zone but I still get hit, it was infuriating.

I also forgot about the 2 sec (or was it 3sec) GCD. It's bad enough being at 1.5s for WoW but with enough Haste you can bump it down to 1.22s-1.24s.

15+ Year Old Account
    Agreed. I quit the game because of that: if my character shows I'm outside of the hitbox damage zone but I still get hit, it was infuriating.

I also forgot about the 2 sec (or was it 3sec) GCD. It's bad enough being at 1.5s for WoW but with enough Haste you can bump it down to 1.22s-1.24s.
    I would even get hit by the hitbox after getting VERY far away with my Dragoon's Evasive Jump unless I performed an action after landing.
    Ridiculous.
    The least they could've done for an ability like that was coding the ability such that I'm considered to be at the landing location rather than at the casting location.
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2018-12-10 at 08:54 PM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!

When 2.0 launched, there was something about how the server updated every 300ms, which often made dodging telegraphs hard. A couple patches later, in 2.2 or 2.3, SE reduced that to 100ms in instances, which pretty much fixed most of the complaints about server lag with telegraphs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    When 2.0 launched, there was something about how the server updated every 300ms, which often made dodging telegraphs hard. A couple patches later, in 2.2 or 2.3, SE reduced that to 100ms in instances, which pretty much fixed most of the complaints about server lag with telegraphs.
    Is 2.0 Heavensward or ARR?
    Because in Heavensward I had the same issues.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. That Titan HM fight was fucking impossible because your character clearly showed you were out of the red shit but you still got hit. I quit because of it.

Have they fixed it?
    It happens now suuuuper rarely. That "i was legit outside multiple seconds before and still took the hit" is gone though. That was fucking awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post

Just bad GAME code.
    Yet you can reduce the GCD in-game and it functions just fine. While there is bad coding in every single MMORPG - the choices are on purpose, so at best it's them being stubborn or bad design decisions. WoW is not made on the WC3 engine, early builds and concepts were - they scrapped it.

Wait, fuck. That's actually what I'm talking about. I quit the game over that fuckery. Guess I won't be coming back.

Thanks for the info.
    I think you're misinterpreting what was said.

In WoW, if you see a flashy hitbox on the ground and stand in it until it goes away you'll get hit by the attack, the attack animation just lines up better with the flashy hit box. In FFXIV, the actual attack animation happens after the flashy hitbox goes away, but it's the same thing, if you're standing in the flashy box when it disappears you'll get hit by the attack.

The issue you quit over, which was caused by server lag, is a thing of the past and hasn't been an issue in years.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, last I played the game was 4-5 years ago. If the lag is truly gone, I'll look into it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Yet you can reduce the GCD in-game and it functions just fine. While there is bad coding in every single MMORPG - the choices are on purpose, so at best it's them being stubborn or bad design decisions. WoW is not made on the WC3 engine, early builds and concepts were - they scrapped it.
    My point is hitbox lag and I just happened to made a side note about how everything seems to be tied with bad coding - including the longer GCD.

And I made a comparison with WoW because it's a MUCH older game with BETTER performance and LESS compromises (such as instanced world).

Why are you focusing on the GCD as if I'm complaining about it?
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2018-12-11 at 07:42 AM.

A big mistake people make with games with good telegraphs like FF14 and TSW ( before they ruined it) is that its the marker thats the rule not the animation, if your in the marker when it goes off it does not matter where the hell you are for the animation , you get hit.

As for lag moving out of stuff , it used to be a thing slightly ( unless your a lancer then its all the time ) but not noticed it in years.
    Power corrupts, unlimited power... is even more fun!