Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    It's not hard to stay on the right side of the law in the USA. I'll never understand why so many people commit basic crimes >.< I'll admit the system has a problem with over incarceration for a lot of silly crimes (pot being a major one) but if you know that pot is illegal and still use it, that's on you.

I'm sorry but just because something shouldn't be illegal doesn't mean it's not currently illegal. Your dissatisfaction with the laws doesn't mean you can ignore them at will with impunity.
    So would you have turned over a hiding place of jews to SS in nazi Germany if you knew about it, knowing what would happen? You'd been legally obligated.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    So that thing about USA being a prison nation and all that. Well, here is another example of why that actually might be true:

Either you admit that you have issues with the system, not the people, OR you can admit that you proportionally have way more criminals than everyone else. I wonder which one it would be, hmm?
    We have more of a certain group than Europe does and they are mainly the ones going to jail for crimes they commit. Nobody in my family has ever been in jail, even for a day. I know 1 person who spent 1 day in lock up for disorderly conduct. That's it. Bad people do bad things and go to jail. We should expand the death penalty to more crimes, that would help matters. 3 strikes you are dead would be a good help.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    We have more of a certain group than Europe does and they are mainly the ones going to jail for crimes they commit. Nobody in my family has ever been in jail, even for a day. I know 1 person who spent 1 day in lock up for disorderly conduct. That's it. Bad people do bad things and go to jail. We should expand the death penalty to more crimes, that would help matters. 3 strikes you are dead would be a good help.
    Care to name them?
    We all know who you are anyway.

Just will add that rehabilitation works. If you are not thinking what the prisoner will do after he/she/apache is released, but only how to punish him/her/apache, you only increase the chance for repeat offenses and actually more criminals (as they might take others with them). It's a cycle, and not of a good kind.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    Equating spending a night in jail to prison is more than a little bit ridiculous. Regardless though, we do have a prison problem. The thing is it can be attributed with the failed war on drugs. Once we abandon that fools errand, the issue goes away. That is, unless you're advocating for the release of violent criminals because you dredged up some statistics.
    Violent criminals won't be the majority of the people behind the bars. Murdereds, rapists - they have always been the minority. Once more, the issue is that you have way, waaay more people per capita serving time than any other. I would refuse to believe that there are more criminals in USA than elsewhere in the world, or that USA is somehow 3-4 times better at catching bad guys than other coutnries.

So no, I am not advocating for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Yeah... No. Not even going to go argue as to why.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Study: Half of US adults have had close family member jailed

That has to include local jail, the place they put you when they arrest you for drunk and disorderly or shoplifting. It would be less than 30 days.

Like most things you read about America, it's exaggerated.
    Let's just say that in Europe including jail you would not get these numbers. Exageration? Are you really sure about that?
    I will give it to you that this news post is meant to invoke emotions, for good or bad, though.
    Last edited by Easo; 2018-12-07 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    So would you have turned over a hiding place of jews to SS in nazi Germany if you knew about it, knowing what would happen? You'd been legally obligated.
    If it keeps me and my family alive? Absolutely

Yeah, I think the majority of Americans locked up were protecting Jews from the Nazis. None of them are there for violent crimes, theft, or other avoidable circumstances caused by very poor choices. At the end of the day, if you do not avoid an activity even though you are aware that prison could result from it, you are accepting that outcome.
    Felpooti - DH - Echo Isles
    Hack - Warrior - Echo Isles
    Pootie - Hunter - Echo Isles

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    It easily explains it. Black men break more laws relative to their population size. The solution is simple. Change the laws so that what they are doing isnt punishable by law.

But id like you to go look up statistics on chicago gun violence and see if its black, white or Hispanic doing the majority of the shootings. And then ask if its because of the laws or if its society thats causing that violence.
    Ghettos, redlining, and racist housing covenants were explicitly created to ensure blacks would be jobless, succumb to drug addiction, and engage in criminal activity. Put any human being in conditions inner city African Americans have been in for generations and you wouldn't be surprised about the incarceration rates, especially when white segregationist law makers have all but tailored the CJS to isolate and break them.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Guilty. It's a cousin that my parents would always bring up as an example of who they didn't want us to grow up into.

I'd be curious the statistic if it was changed from the one night to something more significant.

It's not hard to stay on the right side of the law in the USA.

You sure about that?

- - - Updated - - -

Come on, he'd in the Hitler Youth as soon as he could get the jackboots on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    That hardly explains the huge prison population the US has, especially for black men.
    1. Poor people commit more crimes than wealthy people
    2. Black people tend to be poorer than other races in the US
    3. Poor people tend to do more drugs than wealthy people
    4. America is rabid about drugs and jails people for shit like carrying weed or even just selling it

Thats a quick run down for a huge portion of the reason black men are jailed wayyy more than any other race in the US. Theres also cultural reasons brought about by shit like gangster rap, which in turn was brought about by actual police brutality and shit like the democrats treating them like animals that serve only to be vote farms, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not hard to stay on the right side of the law in the USA.
    it is easy to stay on the right side of the law, but in the US, straying even slightly into illegal territory will get you jailed. In the UK you aren't going to jail for selling some weed. You aren't going to jail for getting drunk and fighting a guy on the street. You aren't going to jail for vandalism and so on.

In the US, thats different. The laws themselves in some areas are even less strict than in the UK or most other western countries (freedom of speech is a great example here), but the PUNISHMENTS for breaking the laws are MUCH more extreme in the US. I mean does it need spelling out? The US is one of the last western countries with the death penalty, it may even be the last one - at least that i can think of.

The US is a country of extremes and that includes their punishments.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Jail isn't prison.

This is not new, or shocking.

Just from watching American TV as a Canadian, I pretty accuratly guess that there is a massive problem with alcohol abuse, domestic abuse, drugs, etc.

I mean it may sound mean, but all joking aside, a lot of what you see on A&E (Hoarders etc) is a fairly accurate depection of middle and lower class life in America. It is is not pretty. Mental health issues are a big problem that America sweeps under the rug. People think mental illness is crazy people jibberimg and babbling. Wrong. It is people who drink too much, can’t clean up after themselves, refuse to take care of their bodies, are addicted to pain killers etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    You sure about that?
    Having gone almost 30 years in this country without being thrown in jail. Yea I'm pretty sure. And I'm not exactly a saint.

Prisons shouldn't be treated like they are businesses. If it's too profitable, it'll be done.

This is why the US Jail System does need serious alterations.

Not really that improbable. Families can be pretty big and extend it over the course of a lifetime and it even becomes more probable.

It's a lot like the massive number of women claiming to have been targeted with certain sexual misconduct. People scream for whatever reason that it's impossibly high but given the time and the number of people you meet throughout life, it isn't improbable.

The sounds like a case of making something sound more shocking than it really is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Study: Half of US adults have had close family member jailed

That has to include local jail, the place they put you when they arrest you for drunk and disorderly or shoplifting. It would be less than 30 days.

Like most things you read about America, it's exaggerated.
    Have you considered reading a study, before commenting on it?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    You could just...not break the law. That'd be nice. I definitely agree that they are trying to imprison as many people as possible because they're crooked and want to make big money with private prisons. Absolutely true, no doubt whatsoever. That not only makes sense but it's pretty fucking obvious. None of that changes the fact you shouldn't be breaking the law and tough shit if you do.

I'll always be against prisons but only because I think they are a waste of money when a noose is a far more effective solution to criminals. The fact that criminals have money spent on them beyond their execution is baffling to me.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Yep, my step-brother spent the better part of his 20s in jail for repeated drug offenses. What a winner he turned out to be. His dad spent a lot of time in prison for similar. Nice to know the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
    Then the question is: how can a drug addicted father bring up a son? There should have been many interventions in the past. Systems to prevent situations like this are implemented in the majority of wealthy countries.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

Having gone almost 30 years in this country without being thrown in jail. Yea I'm pretty sure. And I'm not exactly a saint.
    Anecdotal evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.