Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

We (and WoWpedia) Just Got Purchased By Fandom Wiki (the proud owners of WoWWiki)

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...-wowwiki/45903

In case y’all missed it - our beloved Wowpedia (and MMO-Champion) have unfortunately been purchased by Fandom - the owners of WoWWiki.

Ongoing thread here in the Lore Forum: The Future of Wowpedia

Wowpedia was formed in late 2010 after several admins left WoWWiki when Wikia (the engine wowwiki uses) changed their pages to fixed enforced layouts in order to display more advertisements.

Because of this, WoWWiki itself has been almost entirely abandoned, and many articles on that wiki are either several years outdated, missing, or vandalized.

Unfortunately, the same fate may befall Wowpedia if it is merged or converted to Fandom’s Wikia engine.

I really wish Blizzard would host it instead, or make their own actual wiki since the forums now support wikicode.

More info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comm.../?ref=readnext

This seems ... $hitty. I love to browse wowpedia, I hope it doesn't derail into wowwiki quality, but I won't be surprised.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh, wow. That is a big slice of cake for them..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

15+ Year Old Account
    This will be a nightmare for people. Curse accounts will have to be separated from Twitch accounts. I can see a lot of headaches. It also seems like a silly move to remove all of that from Twitch control. If addon's are included in that purchase it means the curse client will need to be redeveloped as it was merged into the Twitch client.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Hopefully the don't fuck up MMOC, at least when curse bought them it stayed the same. I could see fandom turning it into crapdom like a lot of their other stuff.

Deleted
    Yeah, think I'll jump ship and wait for somewhere new. I don't trust advertisments at all and of they're going to plaster every page with them, I'd rather leave instead.

Quote Originally Posted by God King Rastakhan View Post
    Well, when the time comes we can all just jump ship onto a new fanforum and fanmade wiki page. We've all abandoned wowwiki, thottbot and who knows what else over the years. This won't be any different.
    This, basically. If Fandom bought them out because they realized all of their users jumped ship, then if they think by buying them out and slowly adding advertisements on that people won't notice/care, then they literally wasted their money; people will just jump ship again. I suspect there already are people looking for alternatives, and alternatives starting up because of this.

Give it time, it'll be fine. Fandom is shit and what they are doing is transparent, but the community will react appropriately.

why do these people allow their selves to be bought?

tell suits to go kill their goddamned selves when they make an offer. that's what i'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    This, basically. If Fandom bought them out because they realized all of their users jumped ship, then if they think by buying them out and slowly adding advertisements on that people won't notice/care, then they literally wasted their money; people will just jump ship again. I suspect there already are people looking for alternatives, and alternatives starting up because of this.

Give it time, it'll be fine. Fandom is shit and what they are doing is transparent, but the community will react appropriately.
    Yeah if I start seeing pop ups here, I'll just stop visiting. They're not slick.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    This will be a nightmare for people. Curse accounts will have to be separated from Twitch accounts. I can see a lot of headaches. It also seems like a silly move to remove all of that from Twitch control. If addon's are included in that purchase it means the curse client will need to be redeveloped as it was merged into the Twitch client.
    That sounds great. The day they told me I had to register on and use "&#/"# Twitch just to update addons was the day I stopped using their crap.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post

tell suits to go kill their goddamned selves when they make an offer. that's what i'd do.
    Because they like...

Though I doubt it sold for like a filthy high amount.

Blizzard should have stepped in long time ago, instead of just providing links to fan resources as de facto official ones...

Quote Originally Posted by God King Rastakhan View Post
    Well, when the time comes we can all just jump ship onto a new fanforum and fanmade wiki page. We've all abandoned wowwiki, thottbot and who knows what else over the years. This won't be any different.
    Exactly.

WoWwiki is a mess and if they turn WoWpedia into one, then another fansite needs to be opened and the WoWpedia info can simply be taken over to the new site.

Deleted
    This made me read up on Fandom and just the Wikipedia page on them made me want to throw up a little ... :|

It might be a blessing in disguise if Fandom ruins MMOChampion so this horrible community finally dies.

Hope the next one to sell /close/replace is Wowhead
    And wishing to fix the bad performance of this site with their adds and shit
    At least most of the other sites adblock/ublock are doing the job fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post

Because they say that and then read the amount written in the check, and go like "It was just a joke, would you like to sit down? want some tea? or coffee?"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    Hope the next one to sell /close/replace is Wowhead
    And wishing to fix the bad performance of this site with their adds and shit
    At least most of the other sites adblock/ublock are doing the job fine.
    But.... but i like wowhead (well i love their Dressing room and all that stuff, the news are an extra)

Also... adblock have always worked quite well for me in wowhead.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    It might be a blessing in disguise if Fandom ruins MMOChampion so this horrible community finally dies.
    You know when I think a community is so bad I wished it dead I just leave it. Weird concept to some I know.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope all my shit will be okay.

Wishlist for Fandom-owned MMO-C:
    Mods that don't allow flaming trash heap garbage because ""freedom of speech means you can directly attack people without repercussions :]""