UK: Company bosses face fines in crackdown on nuisance calls

We haven't got a sales call in a long time. Is it a big problem in the UK?

https://news.sky.com/story/company-b...calls-11583714

Company directors whose firms make nuisance calls will now be directly liable and could face fines of up to £500,000.

New rules mean the UK's data protection watchdog, the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), can target the company director and not just fine the firm.

It is hoped it will stop company bosses declaring bankruptcy and setting up again under a different name when they are caught for nuisance calls.

Sponsored link
    Recommended by
    Ofcom estimates British consumers received 3.9bn nuisance phone calls and texts last year.

Force leaders to debate on TV
    More than 120,000 people have signed the petition - have you?

Digital minister Margot James said: "There is now no hiding place for the small minority of rogue directors who have previously tried to escape justice.

"We are determined to stamp this menace out and this new law is the latest in a series of measures to rid society of the plague of nuisance calls."

Andy Curry, head of the ICO's nuisance call enforcement team, said: "We welcome this amendment to the law, which will increase the tools we have to protect the public.

"It will mean we can recover the fine more easily and also make it much harder for unscrupulous operators to set up in business again."

The ICO issued fines of £1.9m to 23 firms in 2016-17 for nuisance marketing.

According to The Register, the ICO only took £9.7m of the £17.8m fines it has dished out to firms between 2010 and April 2018, in part because companies would liquidate instead of pay up.

The change in the law was laid in parliament in mid-November after a consultation period earlier this year.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Our records show you were recently in a traffic incident that wasn't your fault?

Our records show you recently took out a loan?

Our records show you may be eligable for PPI repayment?

I think the bigger nuisance is the culture that developed as a result, of not answering your phone if it's an unrecognised number (which may not be big but certainly exists) because of how common it was to be a nuisance call. This was a much bigger issue a few years ago, hasn't been nearly so bad in recent years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Our records show you were recently in a traffic incident that wasn't your fault?

Our records show you recently took out a loan?

Our records show you may be eligable for PPI repayment?

I think the bigger nuisance is the culture that developed as a result, of not answering your phone if it's an unrecognised number (which may not be big but certainly exists) because of how common it was to be a nuisance call. This was a much bigger issue a few years ago, hasn't been nearly so bad in recent years.
    If nuisance calls are eliminated, it's only a matter of time until the culture catches up with it and answering the few random phone calls you get becomes acceptable again.

Doesn't really affect me, my phones don't even ring for unknown numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    How is that a nuisance? It takes 5 seconds to check a number against a database of known nuisances, and to call back if it's not a match.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    How is that a nuisance? It takes 5 seconds to check a number against a database of known nuisances, and to call back if it's not a match.
    Precisely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Haven't been cold-called in years, but sometimes my cell phone or internet providers are calling me to bother me about pointless or ridiculous offers.