Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    He has a 4K Dell, at this point you're arguing to argue. Or are you going to tell me that 2k should look better the 4k?
    Again manufacturer has nothing to do with it, the guy is asking for recommendations for a monitor in the 2k range so he can get some more FPS out of his rig. I have done a lot of research on 1440p 144hz monitors and it boils down to a lesser evils discussion. The worst complaint you will hear about dells 165hz tn panels is color banding, the worst (and very common) thing you will hear about 1440p 144hz ips displays is atrocious backlight bleed, to the point of people buying and returning 5-10 times to get one they find acceptable. This is before talking about price and responsiveness, you get more from TN displays than you do with IPS as they are better suited as PC monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Again manufacturer has nothing to do with it, the guy is asking for recommendations for a monitor in the 2k range so he can get some more FPS out of his rig. I have done a lot of research on 1440p 144hz monitors and it boils down to a lesser evils discussion. The worst complaint you will hear about dells 165hz tn panels is color banding, the worst (and very common) thing you will hear about 1440p 144hz ips displays is atrocious backlight bleed, to the point of people buying and returning 5-10 times to get one they find acceptable. This is before talking about price and responsiveness, you get more from TN displays than you do with IPS as they are better suited as PC monitors.
    You have done a lot of research yes, but you're also not considering what HE wants. He doesn't like an expensive 4k TN panel for the reason that a lot of reviews also don't like TN panels, offering up ANOTHER TN panel isn't the way to go. BTW I suggested VA first. My wife just got one for Black friday and it's so amazing I'm looking at getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Sorry, but when you make ridiculous statements it’s hard to do anything but laugh. You were telling people playing WoW and the like that Ryzen was the way to go.
    I would have never recommended a 7600k to anyone over a ryzen 5, if you only played WoW and knew you were only going to play WoW for 5+ years on your PC a 7700k would have been a better choice.....but who ONLY plays WoW on their PC?

Today the conversation is obviously different, and intel offering 6c on the i5's i have a hard time recommending ryzen to anyone unless they have a specific use case.

XB271HU IPS is very solid

You have done a lot of research yes, but you're also not considering what HE wants. He doesn't like an expensive 4k TN panel for the reason that a lot of reviews also don't like TN panels, offering up ANOTHER TN panel isn't the way to go. BTW I suggested VA first. My wife just got one for Black friday and it's so amazing I'm looking at getting one.
    IPS=crap gaming monitors. They are not only slower than TN but the manufacturing process leaves a high likely hood of major backlight bleed, even on 600-700 dollar monitors. The only way to alleviate this is with a FALD system that is only beginning to show up on monitors now (which btw cost 2k dollars).

The advantages of IPS only truly show up in a living room environment where there are multiple viewing positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    XB271HU IPS is very solid
    I know people that have returned that panel upwards of 10x to get one they find acceptable to look at when there is a dark image on the screen, the quality control of IPS is atrocious. Not only that but ive seen people return it for the dell TN's because they felt that much slower. Again i dont care what the OP buys im only reporting on what ive found in my countless hours of doing research before buying my monitor, take that as you will.

TN doesnt have any better blacks than IPS and in general TN is trash at everything except response time

for 240 hz that may be relevant, but modern IPS can handle 144-165hz just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Even back then there was no reason to recommend Ryzen. Very few uses make use of more than 4t and all the intel offerings outperformed ryzen out of the box in those cases. If you OC’d the Ryzen it could get close, but if you also oc’d the intel it erased the progess. Let alone the fact that intel’s new offerings were on the horizon. Thank you for proving my point though.
    You are loopy if you think 4c 4t cpu's are usable even now in 2018. Have you played a game that is newer than a couple years old my dude? A 7600k is getting thrashed in a ton of titles there isnt even enough cpu horsepower to run a browser tab with a stream going while playing one of these new games.

I told people exactly this two years ago, DO NOT buy a 7600k you will regret it. 7700k vs ryzen 7 was a lot harder depending on what the person did on their PC as those 4 extra threads are very much needed nowadays.

now if you must have the blacks - get VA, but its slower (by how much Im not sure) and also worse angles

VA vs IPS is personal preference IMO

I personally try to play more on a large TV with deep blacks than on a monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    TN doesnt have any better blacks than IPS and in general TN is trash at everything except response time

for 240 hz that may be relevant, but modern IPS can handle 144-165hz just fine
    TN and IPS both have terrible blacks dude, they max out around 1000:1. If you want better blacks you go VA...

But when comparing IPS vs TN IPS has LITERALLY no advantage as a PC monitor, we are merely getting hand me downs from the TV industry when TN is the technology better suited for PC gaming.

TN and IPS both have terrible blacks dude, they max out around 1000:1. If you want better blacks you go VA...

But when comparing IPS vs TN IPS has LITERALLY no advantage as a PC monitor, we are merely getting hand me downs from the TV industry when TN is the technology better suited for PC gaming.
    Except if you don't like the way TN looks, which he doesn't. Idk what you're not getting but some people just don't like things that you might like.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Want to try that again? https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2139?vs=2143 they both win and lose but they're very close to each other for the most part, and my card cost about 280 after deducting the price for games I was going to buy anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

He said he had a dell and didn't like it, so you offer up another dell? Do you expect a 1440p 165hz TN DELL panel to be miles better in quality for him then a 4k TN panel by the SAME manufacturer? You have to look at what someone WANTS before you suggest something.
    Here is the Hardware Unboxed 2018 update benchmark for the GTX 1080 and AMD Vega 64. 27 games tested and the 1080 wins in 16 games and are up to 5% faster on average https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJFm51OFcNA

https://www.patreon.com/posts/radeon-rx-vega-20791677

And look at the power consumption on the Vega card. Thats insane. The Vega 64 card was a failer from the start. The only AMD card that makes sense is the rx 580 over the GTX 1060
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Here is the Hardware Unboxed 2018 update benchmark for the GTX 1080 and AMD Vega 64. 27 games tested and the 1080 wins in 16 games and are up to 5% faster on average https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJFm51OFcNA

And look at the power consumption on the Vega card. Thats insane. The Vega 64 card was a failer from the start. The only AMD card that makes sense is the rx 580 over the GTX 1060
    Hmm... 5% for basically 250 bucks... nah thanks. Besides, the games that I personally play the vega tends to be about equal or win on. It's all personal preference really (and I don't really care about power draw)

Except if you don't like the way TN looks, which he doesn't. Idk what you're not getting but some people just don't like things that you might like.
    You keep typing stuff, but why? You clearly dont understand the topic at hand, the guy wants to drop down in resolution to get more FPS out of his rig (rightly so, 4k is too demanding even for the new video cards) and when talking about 2k 144hz panels i have already given a breakdown of months of research and why i feel TN panels are superior to IPS. You on the other hand keep talking about monitors as if they are all created equal, and perpetuate the myth that TN is a bad word in the monitor industry that spawned from 100 dollar entry level crap TN monitors vs the better looking 100 dollar IPS monitors which everyone was buying.

Make no mistake people browsing this thread, aside from OLED (which has major burn in problems) the ideal gaming monitor is a 1440p 240hz tn with local dimming, it literally cannot get better than that for PC gaming until video cards get much much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post

The 570 also stomps anything nVidia has. Its about 110$ on NewEgg, and blows the doors off of either variant of the 1050 and runs neck and neck with the 1060/3

You keep typing stuff, but why? You clearly dont understand the topic at hand, the guy wants to drop down in resolution to get more FPS out of his rig (rightly so, 4k is too demanding even for the new video cards) and when talking about 2k 144hz panels i have already given a breakdown of months of research and why i feel TN panels are superior to IPS. You on the other hand keep talking about monitors as if they are all created equal, and perpetuate the myth that TN is a bad word in the monitor industry that spawned from 100 dollar entry level crap TN monitors vs the better looking 100 dollar IPS monitors which everyone was buying.

Make no mistake people browsing this thread, aside from OLED (which has major burn in problems) the ideal gaming monitor is a 1440p 240hz tn with local dimming, it literally cannot get better than that for PC gaming until video cards get much much faster.
    You're just pushing your personal preference, I offered 2 panel types (both of which i find better looking). Btw, I've had computers for 20+ years and Flat panels for as long as they've been around and I don't run into backbleed NEAR as much as you think it happens. Some people are just unlucky. If you don't like the look of a $600 list 4k monitor you're probably not going to like the look of a $450 dollar 2k monitor. Which is most likely using a TN panel from the same manufacturer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    The 570 also stomps anything nVidia has. Its about 110$ on NewEgg, and blows the doors off of either variant of the 1050 and runs neck and neck with the 1060/3
    Price to performance ratio AMD is definitely not losing this go around.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Yes the rx 570 to. from the 1070 and up i would not recommend AMD gfx cards at all. Lower performance and higher power consumption
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

You are loopy if you think 4c 4t cpu's are usable even now in 2018. Have you played a game that is newer than a couple years old my dude? A 7600k is getting thrashed in a ton of titles there isnt even enough cpu horsepower to run a browser tab with a stream going while playing one of these new games.

I told people exactly this two years ago, DO NOT buy a 7600k you will regret it. 7700k vs ryzen 7 was a lot harder depending on what the person did on their PC as those 4 extra threads are very much needed nowadays.
    Not everyone is streaming, my 6600k is still fine for 3440x1440p and i can wait for 2-3 Generation till my next upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Not everyone is streaming, my 6600k is still fine for 3440x1440p and i can wait for 2-3 Generation till my next upgrade.
    That would depend on the persons definition of "fine", check this out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsB8MPVnBoY#t=3m25s

A core i5 8400 is getting 75% more fps than a 7600k here, and the 7600k is clocked higher. Cores are actually starting to matter big time and 4c 4t serious bottlenecks. Just look at that massive step up in fps for anything above the 7600k on that chart. You didnt make a bad purchase in 2015 because no one knew what ryzen would be then, 7600k buyers on the other hand i feel really awful for.

BF5 is obviously a stand out example, but that is what games are trending towards. Heck even WoW got a multicore patch.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2018-12-18 at 09:34 PM.

Appreciate the lengthy debates...and yes, I read all of the replies thus far. I've also been consumed by research over the past 48 hours...because I do that. When I wanted to stream, I researched and tested options day and night to where I found a happy medium and realized it's at the 1440p mark and the downscaling crap is bothering me, not to mention a higher refresh.

I get what folks are saying, there's pros and cons to it all and this is what I've come to discover:

TN - Faster. Less colorful, viewing angle trouble
    IPS - Slower. More vibrant, viewing angle trouble. Bleed.
    VA - Slower than TN, faster than IPS. Colorfulness is also in between. Bleed comes in color shades rather than just whites and blacks

I have only personally tried 2 TN panels. My current panel: The Dell s2817q and the OMEN 27.

The Omen was interesting, wherein I had 2 monitors connected to my video card, it was bright and crisp...but when I used it by iteself, it was dull and lifeless.(No idea to this day why it was like this)
    My current Dell panel is alright in 4k, but washed out and downscaling is annoying with out some refresh rate technology.

Curious if IPS will cure my woes, as they appear to be the most recommended, or try potentially a least known VA panel. Generalizing though, I'm thinking I should just go with the largest 1440p GSYNC monitor I can find.